How to Block Amazon Fire TV Updates

It sounds like the new updates being released for Fire TV Sticks / Cubes, etc. is blocking Launcher Manager and Wolf Launcher or other launchers from working properly.

If your device hasn’t received the update yet, you can block Amazon updates with this tutorial.

More info about this posted here.

8 Likes

@TROYPOINT

Thank you for this helpful guide. I appreciate this. Hopefully this helps people who want to block updates.

1 Like

Thanks Troy. Worked perfectly on my :fire: stick 4K Max.

Doesnt fireOS 7 debloater do the same thing?

I had the techdoctor’s update blocker but an update from Amazon disabled it. So when Troy mentioned the ADB command route I tested it and it worked, even though I read that you couldn’t do it. I think if you allow the FireTV OS to update to 7.2.7.5 you won’t have this choice.

4 Likes

Thanks @ljstew51957 same as Miki, I can’t get that to work on mine anymore either.

4 Likes

Strange, it does work on my other Fire TV Stick 4K Max. Thanks for this reminder @ljstew51957 I will add this to the post as well.

1 Like

Like @TROYPOINT said it did not work on my firestick 4k that already had been updated to ver. 6.2.8.1 . Has anyone found a way to return the firestick 4k to a previous version? Then we could block the updates once and for all.

1 Like

@MCat

Dont think you can rollback once a device has been updated.

2 Likes

I now have two videos on my tutorial page for doing this. I suggest starting with the first video and use the TechDoctorUK method. If that doesn’t work, use the second video.

3 Likes

I keep reading about efuses and how nobody wants to root a $50 stick. :frowning_face:

I tried both, think i’m too late.
Post 6.2.8.1 update.
Neither one worked.
Get a protected app reply on remote ADB shell.

firestick 4k

2 Likes

@MCat

Its more complicated to root one now… have to bypass the efuse. But thats why there is other stuff.

If you are using like 5 apps then the fire stick is fine

2 Likes

Not a matter of not wanting to root a 4k stick, it’s an extremely difficult process requiring you to short out the proper stuff on the sticks mobo. Most ppl end up with a bricked stick. With the efuse Amazon uses code to blow it and stop certain functions they don’t want you doing. :triumph: Welcome to Amazon.

2 Likes

“How to Block amazon Fire TV Updates?” Easy Get a Generic Android Device! done and done…

8 Likes

Fire OS 6.2.8.7 NS6287/3768

Fire OS 7.2.7.3 PS7273/2622

Your os has to be lower than these versions it seems to be able to block updates with the method above. You cant do a rollback ether or root so pay close attention to your updates. Before anyone gets upset these sticks ablnd cubes will still do the basics, it sucks amazon has gone down this road but google is no better. Try to be patient and worse case get a different device all together if your intentions are total control.

Check your os version first and dont update first

5 Likes

@TROYPOINT I was able to block updates on my 2x OS7 Firesticks. Thanks!

Unfortunately my 4k already has the 6.2.8.1, so Debloat tool not working :frowning:

Tech Doc says he is working on a possible fix. I hope he comes through. For now I am going to block internet access and only use it for my Plex server.

Please keep us posted on any updates.

Thanks so much for everything you do !!!

2 Likes

:worried:
What’s next, no side loaded apps?

2 Likes

Is there ever any reason at all to update a firestick? I am running Kodi, The Crew, The Oath and Venom. I use wolf launcher and I am quite happy. What advantages are there to updating?