How to Block Amazon Fire TV Updates

If anyone wants to try a factory reset and then block updates, this is what worked for me months ago.

Turn on your mobile hotspot on your phone.
Get to the part where you connect to a network and connect to your hotspot.
As soon as it says “getting updates” disconnect your hotspot.
On the next page that says network error, hold down the back and menu buttons at the same time for a couple seconds to enter VoiceView mode.
Push the back button to exit VoiceView mode (with your hotspot still disconnected).
You should now be at the registration page. Go ahead and enter your Amazon credentials and turn your hotspot back on to connect.
As soon as your account registers and you get to the home page, proceed to use your preferred method of blocking system updates.

7 Likes

Jayhawk659,
Thanks for the info. Lets hope it doesn’t come to that. If my Firestick 4k OS 6 gets updated, I will give this a try.

Thanks,
Krasman

1 Like

I used Troypoint rapid installer (my OS 7.2.5.5) on firestick 4K Max to block amazon updates and it worked fine.

I am trying to block Amazon updates on my Firestick 0S 5.2.8.4 which I tried to do manually but I cannot get past the “connecting to 127.0.0.1:5555” screen on the tv. Advise?

Also how will they locate your firestick to update if you are using a VPN?

The information here is pretty much spot on so lets hope there is a new update to the Debloater tool in the future that might circumvent this. It worked fine on my Max with a 7.2.5.5 version but the 4k one with 6.2.8.1 did not work.

In fact, when the script was played, you did not see what was indicated above, rather and error saying … no no no, can’t touch that. I already knew it had not worked.

I wonder if Amazon will stop 3rd party apps and the ratio of people who just use the stock apps to 3rd party ones.

2 Likes

my max 4k with 7.2.5.5 will not update due to the debloat app but i used the
adb commands and got no errors there and still won’t update

I have had the debloat tool for a while.

In your video you had Fire version 7.2.5.2. I have version 7.2.4.2, both versions being older than described above, and neither method worked for me. The app just failed, and the manual method got a Java error with both commands.

1 Like
2 Likes

Bingo.
I got a Walmart ONN 4K box today, $20.
It works pretty darn good for $20.

5 Likes

I have read this and watched the videos from Twitter. It sounds like a good temporary solution to stop my 6.2.8.1 from taking a further update that may take away more functionality. I have downloaded the ADB for windows but can’t test it quite yet. It also sounds that they will develop an app that will just issue the command directly from the Firestick. That would be ideal for most people.

3 Likes

@Wizzard If you have an Amazon Fire stick, download the ADB shell (on Troy’s Rapid App Installer) directly to the device. Run the command from there. I did it, worked well. Not sure if I would wait to long to do it.

@MCat Thank for the post MCat

3 Likes

@money is right. Don’t wait and don’t restart firestick.
@Wizzard

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I will do that. I was not aware it was available for the device. That would be so much easier than the remote method. I will do that when my wife is finished watching the hockey game. :rofl:

1 Like

Well commercials are good for something. I installed ADB on the device. Ran the command, checked the firestick and checked for updates. It showed Last Checked … Never. ** I was curious what would happen if I pressed check for updates again and it did in fact start to download an update even though I am at 6.2.8.1. I repeated the process, it said success and when checked, it said Never. This time I did not “Press my luck again” and just left it.

I am thinking it should be ok but if the stick ever crashes or freezes, there will be no way to delete the next update should it be pushed down.

1 Like

@Wizzard Yeah, I think if updates are downloaded to the device, they are in a queue. Will not install until there is a reboot/restart. Everytime you see updates downloaded to your device you should clear that queue with the ADB command.

3 Likes

Well I tried the ADB command on 2 fire stick 4Ks running 6.2.8.1 and both failed, port 5555 in ADB shell not sure if that’s right, did it directly on device. Debloat tool worked on fire stick max, anyone have any ideas for the 4K?

same for me on my 3 sticks - might have to try the factory reset method mentioned above, bugger if I will let them control how I use MY device

was that on a firestick? If not do you think it would work? I have a couple of lites and a 4k

2 Likes

That is what this entire thread is about. Yes, it was a fire stick 4K.

I love the tech docs way of removing any pending updates using an ADB command. That way you can reboot without an update being applied.

1 Like

I concur and when the update tool comes out it will be even less steps. I suppose until a blocker might come out for those of us with sticks that can still take updates, well, I will invoke the command each time I use the stick as I know the updates will always be lurking and as mentioned before, if it freezes (And it does happen on occasion) there will be no chance but to power off and it will be updated.