Block Amazon System Updates

Consider this a fair warning to all cord cutters! Amazon is on a mission to control as much as they can and stop unverified streaming via system updates. By default, you do not have the option to decline system updates. You can turn off automatic application updates, but that is a different story. If you want the freedom to choose when to do system updates then read on. This does not impact application updates at all. You can still download from the Amazon app store or other methods to sideload. Keep in mind that at some point Amazon could change the way they control this on newer devices before they even ship, making this method useless. And as someone else pointed out, if you do a factory reset even on an older device, the first thing it’s going to do is look for system updates. So my advice would be to block system updates now while you can. When a new OS update comes out give it some time and come back to this site to read and see if anyone is having issues with it. If everything seems fine then it’s your choice if you want to enable updates again.

All of you on this forum should already be Troypoint subscribers. Hopefully you have already installed the Troypoint app on your device, which includes the rapid app installer. If you have not yet done this click here.

There are two ways you can go about disabling system updates.

1. The easiest way is by using the TechDoctorUK debloat tool that you can find in the rapid app installer. Make sure you download the correct version; There is one for OS6 and one for OS7. I don’t believe this tool exists for older OS versions. It is still possible to disable updates on those devices but you will have to use method 2.
  2. The longer way is to download the Remote ADB app and run the commands yourself. This application can also be found in the Troypoint rapid app installer.

As with most things we discuss on this forum, make sure that you have unknown sources and ADB debugging turned on. Settings > My Fire TV > Developer Options.

The debloat tool from techdoctoruk can disable a lot of things, not just system updates. But if all you want to do is disable the system updates then scroll down the list and only check the ones that say (Breaks Amazon Updates). Then hit the run button.

If you have an older OS version or you don’t want to use the debloat tool you can use the Remote ADB app instead.

Go back to your firestick settings and go to About. Go down to where it says Network and write down the IP address listed on the right.

Launch the Remote ADB App and type in the IP address on the first line. Leave the second line as 5555. Click connect. You should get a message that asks if you want to allow usb debugging. Click the check box that says always allow from this computer then click okay. Type in the two commands below (one command for the older OS versions) one at a time and hit run. Once you hit the back button to close the onscreen keyboard you should be able to see that the commands were successful.

pm disable-user --user 0 com.amazon.device.software.ota.override

pm disable-user --user 0 com.amazon.device.software.ota

(For OS3)
adb shell pm disable com.amazon.dcp

(For OS5)
adb shell pm hide com.amazon.device.software.ota

Once you have successfully run both commands disconnect remote adb and go back into your firestick settings to attempt to perform a system update. It should give you an error if you have done this successfully.

14 Likes

As newer Amazon products come out the more they will implement these measures.

I would even go to say if you want to cord cut I’d go with andriod units. Way more custom controls and rooting options.

Amazon is also blocking Google service. There fire tablets do it.

Thank you for your guide. I appreciate it.

4 Likes

I wasn’t aware the tablets started doing that. I bought a Fire HD 10 in February 2020 and basically turned it into an android tablet with the Google Play Store also downloaded on it. Glad I did all this while I was able. I get a bad feeling that less than 12 months from now people are going to be upset when their firesticks won’t be able to run anything other than official apps downloaded from the official app store. They are either going to have to start buying other devices or they will be searching ebay and paying ridiculous prices for older fire sticks.

3 Likes

Jayhawks can you verify the shell commands please? It seems to be missing a variable I’m getting this after the first command :

‘Error no package or component specified’

After the second command I’m getting a ‘not found’ error. I stopped there.

Help? :wink:

Capp

2 Likes

Make sure the spaces are in the correct spots.

What firestick model do you have? What operating system version are you running? Mine is 6.2.8.1
Also look at your serial number in the about section. Starting from the 5th digit it should say “VM160” or something like that. From what I’ve read, Amazon started changing things with serial numbers VM190 and higher.

4 Likes

Wow that’s a ton of work. Doesn’t the amazon debloat tool do the same thing?
What I did was install a tool that stops the Amazon updates with one click. FireOS Update Blocker v1.2
Seems to work for me. Once enabled I went into My Fire TV>about>Check for Updates and got “update error” So I assume on My 4K firestick that it works. All I know is all the Amazon crap like Kids and shopping no longer have a cache showing other than 0. No increase. I forgot to mention you can also enable updates in this app on it’s main page with just one click.b

7 Likes

Fire Stick 4k (2019), Fire OS version 6.2.8.1 (NS6281/4054). Serial G070VM0984…

Ok I’ll recheck my spacing thank you sir.

Capp

UPDATE : I was entering the component name as a separate command (doh!), Thanks much Jayhawks.

2 Likes

Yes, depending on the version. The commands are exactly the same within the debloat tool for OS6. But there’s a lot of other stuff in there people may choose not to disable. You have to go through each one and check the boxes that say (Breaks Amazon System Updates). I’ll update this guide to include that as an alternative method.

3 Likes

https://www.techdoctoruk.com/sdm_downloads/tduk-fireos-update-blocker/

That’s the update blocker I use. I’m lazy and my fat old fingers make to many typing errors.

6 Likes

Hello @Miki just a quick question. You’re using Amazon debloat tool to disable Amazon updates, Do you think it’s possible Amazon can or will work around or disable the Amazon debloat tool to reach its end goal ? Thanks for your input. Hope ur enjoying the weekend. And @Jayhawks659 another awesome post th al for taking the time to point this out. I like the stick for simplicity but think it maybe time to start looking at other options.

1 Like

@Bam

It absolutely possible for amazon to block debloating tools.

3 Likes

Oh I no longer use the debloat tool just the FireOS Update Blocker. It’s an app coded like @Jayhawks659 shows, but just a click to activate or deactivate.
To answer your question:
I do. It’s my opinion that as this entire hobby evolves we will be seeing the introduction of rudimentary machine learning and Amazon will code their systems so only legally approved and certified apps can be installed on their devices.

5 Likes

How should we determine when to allow an update, if at all?

1 Like

When stuff stops working or if there’s a new feature you really really want.

4 Likes

Does anybody know how to install the update blocker on a fire stick that Miki posted. Thanks

3 Likes

Hi @Hgmartin
@Jayhawks659 put out a good tutorials

Also @Miki uses a Firestick OS blocker

Simple. Open “downloader” and enter or copy/paste this link

https://www.techdoctoruk.com/sdm_downloads/tduk-fireos-update-blocker/

Then click go. Once the page loads scroll down to the green download button on the left and click it. Downloader will start the download and when done open the Android APK installer, click install, when done click done, then click delete twice in a row to delete the APK as you no longer need it. Then click on FireOS Update Blocker to open. Your choice from there is up to you.

6 Likes

Thank you. Will give it a go.

1 Like

@Miki Thanks Miki. You can also enter in downloader 53402 click Go and it will open Techdoctor page. To the right there is a search. Type OS Blocker then scroll down a little way and click the GREEN downloader. Then install and follow directions.

5 Likes

Yup. That’s one of many ways to access files. TDUK has a few numbers we can use. Have a great day.

3 Likes