Block Amazon System Updates

I just installed OS Blocker.
You can also enter in downloader 53402 click Go and it will open Techdoctor page. To the right there is a search. Type OS Blocker then scroll down a little way and click the GREEN downloader. Then install and follow directions.

4 Likes

@ Miki. It was your post that led me to OS Blocker and all I was doing was THANKING you. In case anyone else reads this topic, I thought I would add the 53402 for downloader rather than typing that long long link. Did not mean to offend you. I know your creditials you have told me twice before.

3 Likes

But you donā€™t ā€œhaveā€ to type the entire link. Itā€™s clickable. Nothing to enter. It takes you straight to the download. Click on it and your browser opens and takes you straight to where you need to be. Nothing to enter at all.

3 Likes

I am using an Android box, do I have to worry about these updates? If so do I benefit from using
TechDoctorUK?

1 Like

@aeg

This is strictly to do with Amazon updates and os enabled by Amazon.

Not andriod.

1 Like

You donā€™t have to use TDUK. Both the Dr. And Troy have been around a long time and imho are the best top 2 resources for our streaming hobby. I know I can trust their downloads are safe and their advice honest. If one doesnā€™t have what I need then I go to the other. Both are top notch sites.

4 Likes

Anyone have any input on which update ( ie: 8.0.0) is safe ? My inquiry is only cause if I can do a update, I would like to get my firestick the closest OS before this Amazon update block takes affect. Hate to run 7.2.0 when I could update to 8 or 9 and still be safe then install the blocker. Thanks in advance.or any input on anyone that has done recent update which OS did it update too ? and is it still able to use side loaded third party apps like kodi or others not thru Amazon.

1 Like

This is still speculation. If/when these updates start blocking apps Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be posted all over here. As stated above, unless things stop working or there is a feature you really need to have, you donā€™t need to update.

4 Likes

Thanks @Jayhawks659 ill update my father in-laws just so itā€™s running smoother. Itā€™s currently running 4.6.2 ( I think ) so wont hurt to update it.

Okay yeah, thatā€™s pretty old lol. But with each newer system update seems to come more bloatware and changes to the UI. If you use a custom launcher then Iā€™m not sure doing an Amazon system update will make things run any quicker. I guess itā€™s possible though.

1 Like

Jayhawk
When you reset to factory settings isnā€™t one of the first thing it does is go get updates?
I canā€™t recall what a brand new Stick does but I thought one of the things was to go get updates as part of the Setup.
Thanks for the WARNING tho.
Iā€™m just not sure Iā€™m ready to block updates, but it sure sounds like a good thing to consider.

1 Like

Youā€™re probably right. The initial setup requires you to add an account. I was thinking about running apps without being connected to the internet by going through the settings menu. But you do need to add an account first.

1 Like

Or you can just drop amazon fire stick and stuff completely:)

@zemelya

Welcome to our community!

People will always buy Amazon products and there will always be workarounds.

Sure we could drop those products but android could also do the same thing.

Itā€™s a big market and as I said along as there is workarounds itā€™s always worth a try. The problem is as they get harder the average person may not be able to do it. Which is why we have guides. Troypoint always manages to insure workarounds with pictures and videos. All the people need is patience and understanding.

5 Likes

I understand that and that was just a friendly suggestion. What I donā€™t understand is why make life harder than itā€™s already is? 50% of all the issues with cord-cutters related to Amazon products. Anyway, like I said, friendly suggestion. Itā€™s a free country, if people want have problems, thatā€™s their choice.

@zemelya

I donā€™t know why you took it as hostel. I donā€™t disagree with you. But cord cutting regardless of what you use comes with its own levels of challenges whether it be Amazon or even legal issues.

I respect your opinion and what you said. I personally donā€™t like Amazon products, but I wonā€™t tell someone not to buy it. But this is why troypoint has the videos and the guides to make it just a bit easier on folks to use the products.

Again not being rude. I respect what you said. Iā€™m just making a counter point to what you said.

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with the FS, you just need to learn what to do to use it effectively. Quite easy imho, but then Iā€™ve been at this for a while.

1 Like

I am unable to enter an IP address on my Fire TV when I go to settings, My Fire Tv About Network

I might add, it is a Fire Stick 2nd Generation,
I have the Fire OS Blocker downloaded . It spins when making sure Debugging is enabled, so I disabled the debugging, it takes me to the TechDoctoruk site but when I click on Block or unblock or status, it tells me it is nit connected to Fire Tv.

Help please.

If I understand you correctly you have installed the Amazon update blocker from TDUK. Your next step is to go into ā€œsettings>my fire tv> about>networkā€ and write down your IP Address.
Now back all the way out of settings and click on ā€œupdate Blockerā€. Now to the left of the ā€œconnectā€ button is a line, and that is where you enter the IP Address that you wrote down. Now click the ā€œconnectā€ button and it will take you to the next screen. Here is where you click on ā€œBlockā€ to do just that, block the Amazon updates. This is also where you return to to ā€œunblockā€ the Amazon updates when and if you want to update your device. Once you click ā€œblockā€ another window opens with the entries made to disable the Amazon updates and down the lower left you will see Success
kara:/ $
kara:/ $
Youā€™re done. You can click the return button and click the ā€œcheck statusā€ button if you like or go back into ā€œmy fire tv>about>check for updatesā€ and click on it and if itā€™s running properly you will get an ā€œUpdate Errorā€. Thatā€™s all folks.
HAVE FUN AND STREAM ON.

2 Likes