Vpns knowledge and false positives

I saw that whitelist. I emailed both Real-Debrid and Protonvpn to no avail.
Butan357 is able to use Real-Debrid and Protonvpn.
He / She must have paid version.

Time to renew VPN and trying to decide which one to use.
Currently have CyberGhost but not to happy with speed.

Proton is a very good and emerging VPN but it is limited in the free version.

1 Like

I used both versions of protonvpn (free & paid), with no issues what-so-ever… I’m currently in the midst of a one year subscription; again, no issues, I’m very satisfied!

2 Likes

reply from protonvpn
ProtonVPN

Please note that some websites are actively blocking known VPN IP addresses. However, since different servers have different IP addresses, feel free to try most of our servers in order to test if you will be able to access the content with some of them. In the process, please clear your browser cache, or access the website via an incognito/private window which should clear everything for the current session.

1 Like

Alway use vpn. Great insight, thanks for sharing.

One point I want to mention when it comes to vpns and speed are well a few things.

The closest low ping/ms server will net you the best overall speed. Try changing protocol as well with what I mentioned should be best. But one thing too is if you are hardwiring your device make sure what its tech specs are.

10/100 means no gigabyte network card and you will only get 100 to 120 down max. Also mean your wifi will be limited to probably a 2.4 connection, you may receive better down speed but you won’t get wifi 5 or 6.

So if your using a VPN on 10/100 you will receive a loss in speed. If you can have the device within 20 feet of the modem/router you should get a better wifi signal and down speed which should help with speeds and vpns if you pay for more than 100 down.

If you have a network card in there 10/1000 gigabyte card that’s different you should tap out around 950 or so down speed depending on your connection type (fiber or cable line) these cards can access 2.4 5 and 6 wife and have a better hardwired connection. So your vpn if configured properly should be better even with the loss in speeds.

4 Likes

I installed IPvanish… my first ever VPN last week . All was fine tillI I changed the input to the satellite TV . Worked fine for about 5-10 min then said it couldn’t retrieve information & the screen went blank. I fiddled with the on/off & menu buttons & it came back on. A little later it did the same thing. Once again I got it going . I went back to the firestick & disconnected IPvanish thinking it was affecting the satellite. Back to the satellite the picture froze & the tv went black. Unable to turn it on it off. Had to go out & buy a new tv. My question… was IPvanish fouling up the satellite reception?

2 Likes

If your IPVanish was downloaded & activated on your Firestick…then it has nothing to do with anything other than your Firestick stream…nothing to do with your satellite or your tv.

3 Likes

I have been an annual paid subscriber to IPVanish since they were a small company with limited number of servers. The primary reason is encryption & no logs.
Now their speeds are really good & are 10/100/1000 friendly.
It also works exceedingly well with TOR & a Linux O/S while using the dark part of the web.
Primary consideration is NEVER use a free VPN as in NEVER.
Reason is companies will log your traffic & sell these logs in particular to advertisers. Logs can also be accessed by Gov agencies to follow your streaming/downloads as per which sites, times & such.
This should be of particular interest to KODI aficionados & streamers using torrent apps Stremio & Popcorn. Even the single apps leading to streaming links can cause ISP’s to discontinue service or issue use fines.
To use Torrent apps or KODI without a VPN is playing russian roulette & the spin will eventually land.
Backing up another poster - NEVER use a MOD, they are doing you no favors generally eliminating ads but in its place collecting data & or infecting devices. The world of the Internet is an especially evil place where criminals abound.

3 Likes

There is one free vpn that is safe Proton VPN has a free, but limited, option, along with a paid version of course. I use the encrypted email and have tested the free vpn but for me there aren’t yet enough servers. I suspect eventually there will be. Odd JSR that you advocate for split tunneling system apps and “legal” apps as I wouldn’t trust them either let alone kodi.

1 Like

@Miki

Because most legal apps wont allow you to use a vpn. Netflix and such.

1 Like

Insofar as streaming devices attached to a TV set with never any ability to access mail, banking, credit card info… I use the tunnel feature. On my Pro-Mac tower, I use a Linux O/S, TOR & a full non-tunnel IPVanish. My cell is never used for making purchases, scanning at Walmart/Costco/Sams Club or has any banking /credit info.
As far as KODI, I never install it. Advise against using it as I do Torrent apps. I know more than a couple of “Hats” & have lets say listened.

Sorry, you’ll have to forgive me, but the tunnel feature is very insecure imho as you don’t know who is monitoring such an open door. Just me, as I prefer absolute security as much as is humanly possible.
I appreciate and understand what you are saying. Have a good night.
Have fun and STREAM ON.

2 Likes

Strange, I’ve had cyberghost for almost 3yrs…never had any problem with speeds

No reason for any apology. You are correct in your assessment of a tunnel feature being a potential liability. I have addressed that potential using other means & was merely speeding up large particular apps which are legal based & secure to a large degree.

3 Likes

I like the information you have given, my question is; is this with all VPNs? I had IPVansh and it brought my speed to a crawl. That said I may not have looked at how it was set up, frankly, I just hit connect. Guess the laugh is on me. But I heard the new and upcoming VPN “Surfshark” was the one to invest in, what is your opinion? :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

@rssgmatt

Every vpn will mask your ip, but look at the teck specs of it and compare it. And you probably need to change servers and protocols, that will help.

Ss is a really good vpn, i would try to see if you can fix yours first because a new one has the same things.

2 Likes

I use IPVanish & they just had a new update showing a vastly expanded server network & it is pure smoke, it flies. On my NVidia, I am seeing download speeds using IPVanish above 400MB/s ethernet connected & Sony Smart TV using same room wifi above 200MB/s. The Smart TV requires speeds above 120MB/s to be optimal.
Using IPVanish, there is a trick…Go into settings, tunnel around legal apps. Just use it for 3rd party sideloads & internet browsers. Then set it to your closest geographical location & experiment with each server. Find the fastest then go back into IPVanish & set that server as “Connect to Last Server” on connection. Have IPVanish start automatically & remain connected all the time. Since your legal & system has been tunneled, you will not see any speed decrease with them. I personnally use Dallas b25 as my server of choice for all my devices as it is the fastest for me.

There’s also WireGuard, the original creators. I use IPVanishVPN have for years, since I found troypoint 5 years now( side note Troy y’all really kikass hands down the most legit, in every aspect, you really are for the people so to speak…!!Thanks again for all you and your crew have done and provide for us all😁) Anyhow I recently found WireGuard app on iOS App Store. It’s from the creators of WireGuard technology used by IPVanishVPN and others I have yet to utilize or integrate, jyst found it, was gonna play around with it and will keep y’all posted. Can I post a link to their official site

1 Like

There’s also WireGuard, the original creators. I use IPVanishVPN have for years, since I found troypoint 5 years now( side note Troy y’all really kikass hands down the most legit, in every aspect, you really are for the people so to speak…!!Thanks again for all you and your crew have done and provide for us all😁) Anyhow I recently found WireGuard app on iOS App Store. It’s from the creators of WireGuard technology used by IPVanishVPN and others I have yet to utilize or integrate, jyst found it, was gonna play around with it and will keep y’all posted. Can I post a link to their official site(Sorry for the double post)