TIVIMATE on ONN with USB versus SPARKLE

So after doing some testing with TIVIMATE versus SPARKLE on my newer ONN android 12 box, have found that USB recording will not work for TIVIMATE. SPARKLE does work for recording to USB.

Has to do with security of file access to USB in android 12.

So all the folks having USB problems with android you are correct. TIVIMATE can not do USB.

Think on android 9 you can use to TIVIMATE recording.

TiViMate can record to external USB drive. I don’t know about the ONN but it can with Android 11 and up. The stricter file access permissions of Android 11, prevents some apps like TiviMate from accessing external USB storage, so the system picker Files app must be used to grant access.

Don’t think SYSTEM PICKER works on ONN. Looked for it and could not find it to use in TIVIMATE.

In Tivimate Settings>Other>Recording>Recordings folder>Select folder> on the right you should see System picker. Click on that and then if your USB drive is properly formatted and set up you should see it here and you should be able to choose it and “CREATE NEW FOLDER” . I don’t use ONN, I’m not a fan. But this should get you to where you need to be and clicking around you should be able to figure it out from there. GL2U

No not there. Only SELECT. SETUP SMB. CANCEL. and that’s it.

Doesn’t surprise me, it’s an ONN. I know some use the SMB option, but I’ve never personally tried it. I don’t have anymore suggestions for you at this point.
I did find one work around. You have to go into your settings, and then find your “Files” app and uninstall all updates. Don’t update it now or in the future. Again I can’t confirm it works as I don’t have an ONN.

where can I look into SYSTEM PICKER ? thx

where can I look into SPARKLE? thx

What device are you using?. For most devices the route I posted takes you to the System Picker.

After a little more research some using the ONN did a system backup and then accessed that and the System Picker then became visible. Be sure you’ve enabled all permissions.

It’s in the Playstore.

This link shows why ONN with android tv 12 can not work. Maybe the older ONN with android 10 can as it may have system picker.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TiviMate/comments/10suqdp/external_storage_access_issues_androidtv_11_and/

Sorry what link? Not sure I posted one.

The reddit link I posted

I have not tried the USB recording with Tivimate with my onn but network recording works great for me, not to mention that it also allows all my devices to play the recordings so I highly recommend that. So maybe give that a try.

Probably not the best place for this, don’t want to highjack the conversation, but will either one record to my NAS?

I just rebuilt it using OMV (Open Media Vault) with an older PC that was given me. My old NAS WDMyCloudEX2 lost support a year + ago, This setup is working better so far than the old one did.
Thanks

No Systems picker option in Recordings folder

Read through this thread and try some of the suggestions. Sorry I don’t have or use ONN anymore, for obvious reasons.

I’m recording to a SATA drive that’s connected by USB with Tivimate on my Shield. Maybe this is an issue specifically with the ONN box?

1 Like

Yes ratt you have it correct. Shield works. ONN does not work with USB and TIVIMATE.

ONN does work with USB and sparkle.