Slow internet speed?

I checked my internet speed on several sites on my computer and it comes in around 367Mbps download and 357Mbps upload, but on my device it shows I’m only getting around 17Mbps - I found the problem but not sure how to fix it, I’m using IPVanish and when I disconnect it my speed goes way faster but when I connect it is when it slows way down, I tried different servers and locations but still can’t get the speed up more than 17-18Mbps - is there a setting or does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this problem? I also tried rebooting my device as well as rebooting my router with no luck. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help

2 Likes

Try messing around with VPN protocols (WireGuard®, IKEv2, OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, PPTP).

I’ve read on here where some people were having difficulty with WireGuard. Don’t know, but it’s worth a look.

1 Like

You need to try different protocols. Lol. PF got it.

2 Likes

Tried the other two protocols beside the WireGaurd and they both work better (getting 18-25Mpbs as opposed to 12-18Mbps) - I’m amazed how much one loses with the VPN . Do other VPN’s lose that much speed?

1 Like

I assume you have fiber optic for your internet…I don’t see where you checked your speed on your device without going thru a VPN. What kind of device…what kind of a connection are you using on your device (wifi/ethernet) are you using Analiti for speed testing? Please check speed on your device without VPN & report…thnx

Make sure the connections to the various are quality cables etc. You would be surprised on how a good quality hdmi can affect buffering or how a cat8 cable can improve performance…sometimes its the little things

1 Like

without vpn my speeds were around 357Mpbs using MECOOL box, tried with ethernet as well as wifi pretty much the same with either connections, and yes using fiber optic

OK…copy that…so your cables & android box are functioning properly without going thru the VPN. If you also tried hardwiring it & used wifi…& got the speeds your ISP is set up for, then you are probably spot on with IPV being the culprit. I don’t use it anymore, so not that familiar with it…but if you tried all the different protocols, to no avail (BTW…you should be getting anywhere from apprx 125 - 175Mbps thru your VPN) then all I can suggest is to uninstall IPV & reinstall another copy. There is a possibility that somehow it got corrupted during/after download. If you try that…let us know of any changes :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

which mecool box? km2 ? km6?

1 Like

Your speeds shouldn’t drop that much! Should right around a half drop.

Since you’ve done the protocol switch and that didn’t seem to work. Here are 2 more suggestions.

#1. Unplug your device, modem/router, and tv from the wall outlet for about 20-30 minutes. This is NOT the same as a simple reboot!

#2. Try installing the free version of Proton VPN and then run a test and see if your speeds change.

If your speeds do significantly increase. Then I would contact IPV support and let them know.

Proton VPN: Private, Secure - Apps on Google Play

4 Likes

I was getting shi##y speeds with IPvantage also.
I switched to Surfshark and saw immediate improvements.
Just now I got 82 Mbps down.
That is on a Firestick 4k which I understand can only get 100 Mbps max.

1 Like

Get access to your modem and check your bandwidth allocation, Your modem or router may be giving priority to something els, that needs to be changed. Also maybe delete connected devices in your router settings.

2 Likes

Under the protocols also try TCP instead of UDP, also select the server manually, one close to you with decent ping speed and do not connect to the automatic fastest sever as it’s not necessarily the best, plus make sure you are using the latest version of IPVanish.

2 Likes

dump IPVanish and go with ExpressVPN…I noticed about a year ago the IPV turned into a dog…I started researching it and discovered the ExpressVPN works great out of the country…IPVanish doesn’t work hardly at all…

I have Spectrum Fiber Optic for Wi-Fi (500 Mbps Download speed). I have a Nighthawk R7000 Router (I don’t use Spectrums Router that they give you and charge you $10 more a month plus it is a POS Wi-Fi 6 router anyway). Even though it is faster using my Ethernet downstairs, I use Wi-Fi (upstairs and ExpressVPN (Lightway-UDP for the protocol). I have my PC connected to my 60 inch Smart TV upstairs and my speed without VPN is 356 Mbps but I am always connected to VPN no mater what and the speed is 355 Mbps. Having a good internet provider, a great Router, and a great VPN service (have been with ExpressVPN for 8 yeras) that really matters. Hope this helps you!

2 Likes

One thing to remember regarding VPN speed, is that VPNs encrypt the data being sent/received. Encrypting/decrypting data is somewhat CPU intensive, meaning that the processing capability of the device (Firestick, nVidia, etc.) will make a difference in the VPN speed, all other things being equal. I get MUCH faster VPN speed on my 2.8GHz quad core laptop than I do on my Firestick 4K. This is using Surfshark and connecting both devices to the same VPN server.

3 Likes

You should switch to the 5Ghz band on the stick, much faster using WiFi. The Max is limited on ether due to the 10/100 switch and I lose barely 10 Gbs down with an active VPN using WiFi. If you can get the WiFi 6 modem it’ll be even faster. But really, unless gaming it’s just wasted bandwidth as 35 Mbs down is all you may use.
Have fun and STREAM ON.

I believe he said he was getting around 17 mbps with VPN. When without VPN, he was getting close to 400. I’m in a similar situation, as ethernet is approximately the same speed as wifi. Using Mecool KM1 Deluxe (4 mb and 32 memory) with Surf Shark VPN (using various protocols and various servers) I’m consistently getting barely more than 10 mpbs. Is Xfinity (or whatever provider) throttling a VPN user? I’ve tried all the usual tricks…rebooting device, restarting modem/rounter, make sure I have plenty of memory, etc. It’s frustrating. Maybe uninstall SS and try for a more updated version?

I am using the 5GHz band on the stick, and the router it’s connected to is in the basement underneath the TV/Firestick. With the VPN turned off, I get ~300Mbps, which is what my cable internet speed is rated at. I don’t remember exactly what the speed is with the VPN turned on, but I seem to recall it being ~100Mbps. On my laptop, I get ~300Mbps with the VPN on or off. As you mentioned, it’s somewhat academic, since probably 15Mbps would be sufficient for 1080 resolution.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know why there is such a huge reduction. For the Firestick WiFi on the 5Ghz band is often much faster on the Firestick due to the 10/100 switch when using ether. ALL I can honestly say is that the Proton VPN on my Max only reduces speed by around 10 to 20 depending on the server I’m connected to. Have they tried different VPNs. Proton free gives the same speed as my paid version, so maybe worth testing speeds with it. Again this depends on things like sever loads under 80% and good infrastructure. Could be your ISP. Not sure what options you have but it might be worth contacting your ISP and asking them why your speeds drop so drastically when using a VPN. After all they aren’t illegal.

1 Like