Slow internet speed?

Oh I disagree with the 15 Mbps down as being sufficient. After years of FireTV OS use it has been my experience that for smooth buffer free, playback you need 30 to 35. In a perfect world on a perfect infrastructure under ideal conditions perhsps 15 will do, but I,ve never seen a perfect setup yet.

I really think people are not understanding why vpns slow down speed and whats effected. Nor do people understand bandwidth allocation. Switching vpns wont solve this problem if your slowed down to 5-20 downspeed… as mentioned above vpns require some processing power for better speeds. The best thing to do is go threw all wifi connections and drop things not in use anymore, also make sure priority bandwidth isnt given out to a single device when in use. Maintain your device and stick as well. Always try different protocols.

@BobC

You are correct. 15 down is probably good at 720 or 1080p for youtube feeds, large files 15 down wont do a thing.

If your vpn is on, and you have above 40 or so down speed you should be fine, dont worry about the reduction.

1 Like

First off I’d like to thank all you guys for your replies, I’ve been out of town and didn’t have a chance to reply until now - I can’t believe the discrepancies between sites that I’ve tried to test the speed, it ranges from 13Mbps to 59Mbps, so is there one test site that is the most accurate? I tried AT+T ,Comcast, Ookla, and a couple others, the one that showed me the most consistent and the best readings was Analiti. And I did test different times of the day cause I heard when internet traffic is high that AT+T slows down the speeds. So I made the comparisons one after another. - thanks again guys

Analiti for Android/Firestick & Ookla Speed Test for Windows…IMO are the most accurate & popular.

How do you do that? I am new to this so every time I try and turn on something it shuts off and goes to the home screen, I do not no what is going on with this .

Who is your internet service provider & do you use their equipment or your own? If theirs…what is make & model of it? With that info, I can tell you how to get into the UI (user interface) & look/make adjustments.

comcast is my internet provider and yes I use Their equipment let me check on make and model

All I can see on it is Xfinity and then XB8-T that is what it is on there

From your browser on your computer, type in the following url address…

[Make sure you are connected to your Xfinity network

This can be a wired or WiFi connection.

[Open a browser and go to 10.0.0.1

This is the router’s gateway. It will automatically bring up a log in screen.

[Enter a username and password

Username: admin
Password: password

Now you're logged in.

Let me know if you got in...

For anyone using the older tower gateways...url address is **192.168.100.1** 
same username/password

I tried every thing to get into the site but every thing i tried failed

OK…in whatever web browser to surf the internet you use…type https://10.0.0.1 then press enter & tell me what happened.

Your connection isn’t private

gives me a warning saying your connection isn’t private

That’s usually a cert verification problem…do you have another browser set up that you can use? Whenever I get that using Firefox I just jump on Chrome or Edge browser & that seems to always work.

this is what is says Your connection isn’t private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from 10.0.0.1 (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

thats a local router ip, its safe at home to access router/modem settings

10.0.0.1 at DuckDuckGo

I just want to make my watching tv not kick me off every 5 minutes

If you haven’t or can’t use a different browser & try it…restart your gateway & reconnect & try again. It’s not anything serious…see TXRon post also.

Ok how do I connect that to my tv for my fire tv to run without buffering?

1 Like

I thought you just wanted to access your Xfinity gateway…didn’t know you were having connection/buffering problems. Are you using a VPN…which one…have you checked your speeds with Analiti…are you using an IPTV service (don’t mention its name)…?