Rooting Your Android Box

There have been some comments in other sections recently about rooting of android boxes. If one of our experts could provide a post on advantages, disadvantages, proper rooting procedures, etc. it would be helpful. Thanks.

5 Likes

I’m not a expert but basically rooting your device gives you root access to the device you are rooting. Allowing you to do things the manufacturer won’t allow you to do or to take off stupid stuff you would never be allowed to.

It bypasses what the manufacturer has done to let’s say a Samsung phone, you will be able to customize it the way you want, install what you want and remove what you want. It allows for access to better control of the hardware specs to increase battery life software health and custom roms (themes and such)

Same applies to an andriod box, you can increase cpu speed and priority, increase ram usage and take off on running things that use your ram. Take off system installed background service you don’t need running. You can upgrade your android os to the newest specs without manufacturer interference.

If you can do it successfully on a device do it.

But

It’s not to be taken lightly, research your device frist if it can be done and how to do it. If you mess up or the phone dies or you loss power during it or just generally don’t do each step properly you can seriously screw the unit and brick it, you will have to replace it and no warranty covers it. If your doing it on a phone seriously search of its possible alot of phones are locking hardware to the device and if you attempt it it blows a efuse or it bricks the phone as a anti tampering method. If you are doing it on a android box make sure it’s possible. No semi closed or closed box is possible. Most roots make use of magicsk there is also king root and a bunch of others that include custom roms, this isn’t a noob friendly thing to do. King root is simple to use but it doesn’t work on everything, other way is a much longer method and to me its easy but its a lengthy process. However things have changed and rooting has been made better by more all in on programs That take the coding usb and rebooting method away. But still takes time and effort.

• Research your device if it’s closed or semi closed
  • If it can be done look up how.
  • Research on how and what’s needed.
  • Also make sure you can afford to risk your box or device if it goes wrong you will need to replace it.

Every device is done differently, magicsk and Kingsroot are the go to but there is other methods which also require a computer or laptop.

13 Likes

Thanks for the explanation and your information . Definitely not for the everyday user . I think there will be a lot of bricks out there enough to build a house :rofl:

1 Like

@Bigrich

Aha, the mindset of a root is this, can you afford to lose this item if it goes wrong?

It’s not all scary but the risks do need to be mentioned especially if your new at it. Start on cheap stuff and learn that’s what I did.

4 Likes

Best advice I have ever read about rooting. Well done.

5 Likes

Rooting has been around as long as the internet. Im computer terms “got root” or “rooted” is gaining access to the computers system files at the core. ie Total control. A very common term in hacker circles where a user is able to gain root of anothers system via remote access. That control became popular in android systems where a person wants total control of their system to do as they like. It’s actually fun when done(if done right). You will have access to the entire play store…no more messages “this app is not approved or compatible” You can remove ads at the system level etc…Its a wild wild fun ride but as Dracco said you can loose everthing if your not carefull.

3 Likes

…or throw at nVidia and the Android 11 fiasco! lol

1 Like

I can afford to try it on a Firestick. Who gives a :poop: if you brick a Firestick! lmao!

5 Likes

@Jayhawks659

Thanks, I tried to be descriptive to anyone thinking about it but also outline risks if you don’t know what to look for.

@TXRon

Oh the hacking days of rooting I didn’t even get into that, I remember those days. My goal was mainly about device rooting. That is still done to this day, exploting os and security vulnerabilities, rats and honey pots and such. Lol.

If you want to root your android device do some research first, experiment on cheaper stuff!

@Powerfader

Unfortunately newer model firesticks adopted a efuse method.

2 Likes

theres a good idea, get a copy of Magisk and give it a try. I might try it on a onn stick :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah, but it would be fun to brick a Firestick. Probably better than watching a PPV wrestling match! LOL

2 Likes

@TXRon

If onn can be rooted i would use kingroot

2 Likes

Magisk Manager v24.3 Download (Zip & App) [ January 2022]
https://magisk.us/

^^^^ get this app here. I found the apkpure with an old version

2 Likes

@TXRon

Nifty they have a manager now. That will be helpful. It’s been awhile since I have done this and it was the painful way. I’m glad it’s more accessible now for people.

Probably why Amazon roku and others quickly pushed on closed system. You could bypass if you know how to soder and wire motherboards.

@Powerfader

You can try, but the instant you use a software root program and restart the stick the efuse blows bricking the unit. I have seen people take them apart but that’s alot of risk for a cheap unit. But my God if we could root the stick that bloatware be gone would really increase the performance.

4 Likes

Magisk now default root switch on ugoos products and I agree Dracco we should let Powerfader give it a go on a firestick and report back :joy:

1 Like

Here is an article written by AFTVNEWS about rooting a Firestick including a link to the XDA Forum that one of their programmers put together to root the device, but only if the device hasn’t been updated to the new version. Interesting read, before undertaking this project.

3 Likes

Just shows the control these people want. Google is just like them…I will be happy to out from under their control. Root on :sunglasses: :eyes:

3 Likes

@Sbrowne126

Excellent read and post thanks. I came across that myself and got my hopes up. But that new roll out crushed my dreams, all 2021 units and so on are practically updated.

Still cool tho, someone manged to get a rom going to.

2 Likes

I think there is a video out there of someone carefully rooting a Ugoos device with magisk but I am not sure where it was.

1 Like

ugoos comes with magisk pre-installed.

If I remember correctly older boxes also have a root switch but not magisk. Magisk is a newer install to prevent boot loop and easier to manage.

1 Like