Proton VPN my new go to

I would like to jump in and let everyone know of a VPN that rarely gets mentioned. I have extensively used IPVanish and ExpressVPN for a long time but have grown tired of these not playing well with my devices. I have tried everything possible to resolve issues, both by myself and with the guidance of these apps tech support, with no positive results. Speeds were adequate with IPV running around 45 and Express around 55MBps down.
I purchased a 2yr plan from Proton going to the “Plus” servers plan, which gave me a 33% discount and cost me $159U.S. for those 2 yrs. This was after using the “free” servers for 3 weeks. I speed tested servers from the U.S. and Canada to get a baseline results on speeds. 6 different locations in both countries yielded average download speeds of 85MBps using the Wireguard protocol. I have already noticed a more stable speed using the Wireguard Protocol. I am cautiously optimistic that this Swiss based VPN will serve my needs. Now it’s time to dig deep, kick the tires, and see what this baby can do.
Have fun and STREAM ON.

6 Likes

Congrats…and the speeds go way up with the paid plan as well as server pool. :+1:

1 Like

Yes sir. Average speed on the + plan was 85. I decided to make this move after reading some of your posts about it. @TXRon I am grateful for, not only your comments and help along with your sense of humour, but your advice and suggestions as well.

6 Likes

Update. So I’ve been going over this app and it has everything from malware blocking to ad blocking and on my phone speeds are 105MBps down over WiFi.

1 Like

Yeah I have PM and Proton bundle for sometime now,and really like there service.

1 Like

Just a heads up, I was using IP Vanish and downloading a torrent file. My landlord got an email or a text that said there was a copyright infringement. Guess I wasn’t hidden after all.

@karl1992

Lol, probably wasnt you. If your ip is shared the vpn only protects the device its connected to. Someone did something without the vpn on which resulted in that.

Also when torrenting you should be using a encrypted downloader like deluge… along with a vpn and socket 5 protection.

I will take that with a grain of salt, decryption of data streams takes pricy software and alot of time unless its a crappy encryption.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it was me. They told me the filename that I was trying to download. There’s one other guy living here and he doesn’t have a computer and seemed lost when I metioned the Firestick. I’m wondering why Verizon even cares.

2 Likes

I was using qBittorrent. Guess that’s not good enough. The other funny thing is, when I had a house in another town I downloaded probably about 300 movies and never got a warning. I think all the big tech companies are turning communist or fascist.

2 Likes

@karl1992

Probably a watched torrent, which is why you need a encrypted downloader, it secures the pool you get the torrent from.

Ether way this wasnt ip vanish.

I thought qBittorrent was encripted. Downloading Deluge now. :slight_smile:

@karl1992

Launch Deluge on your device;
Go to Edit > Preferences
Select Network and then take a look at the Encryption segment
There are different combinations here. For Enabled use these values nbound > Enabled, Outbound > Enabled, Level > Either. Also, make sure to enable Encrypt Entire Stream

@karl1992 I use to use IPVanish app on my windows 10 when downloading torranting freezes, and disconnected while browsing without knowing I was disconnected so I kept VPN app open to see if I was connected or not.

If you’re using windows 10 consider the following.

I discovered that after windows/security updates
Somehow windows security changes the security settings, and blocked torranting app than disconnected from VPN connection.
“After all windows security, and many browser’s see torrant apps as harmful application’s”

My solution for that was that each time after windows updates I checked my security settings, and allowed the app again from being blocked, also checking if the app still allowed in firewall settings.

Later I stopped using IPVanish app on my windows. I used the IPVanish SSTP Setup on windows 10 instead. After that I was never discussed from VPN again.

https://support.ipvanish.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039035533-SSTP-setup-on-Windows-10

NordVPN is better than either IPVanish or Proton. Besides, it is half the price for a 2 year subscription than what you paid for Proton!

1 Like

Lol. How amusing. Not sure what credentials you possess that you can make that statement. Proton had things Nord is claiming as new for some time, but this doesn’t matter, I’m happy with Proton and know where they’re headed and what they plan. I got what I paid for and am satisfied, but thank you for your opinion.

4 Likes

@Miki
@websurferdude

And at the root of it all all vpns essentially do the exaxt same thing.

The rest is pretty much personal preference. Some are cheaper than others, others work better or slighty better than others. If you look at any review anywhere every vpn is categorized different in rankings.

Troy and my self have a list of the must haves in a vpn.

2 Likes

Well said Dracoo. Is that list published? Not that I need it but I’m always curious about what others consider a “must have” . tx

I list them here, this is also on troys website, you can even good vpn statics and reviews along with functionality, these are the bases for any vitural private network to mask your internet data.

Proxies protection too.

3 Likes

After seeing what you & @TXRon had to say a few weeks ago, I loaded the free version and have been trying it w/ my silk browser links. It has been shutting off somewhat inconsistently… is that 'cause its the free version?

Ya, but it shouldn’t be shutting off at all. What are you running it on?