Proton VPN my new go to

The Amazon firestick

Hmm. They are releasing a new update in a week or so for streaming. It will address some glitches and give better settings access. Try another city, but the servers may be full or very busy.

1 Like

Proton actually has a very good model being they have a free version so peeps can test the waters and hopefully get them as long time customers. But the free version is limited in speed, servers etc. The paid version is great as Miki can tell you and they are constantly in development with the product and are audited by 3rd parties.

1 Like

Iā€™ve gotten a response from customer service every time I addressed a glitch or limitation or sent in an error report. They even assigned me 1 only customer service rep to my account. This was for consistency, they said, and a seamless interaction as only one person looks after your issues. So far my experience is that they care what ppl think and are working to improve all their apps on every platform. Very positive so far.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been test driving the free version since Mikiā€™s post.
So far, I had one instance where ProtonVPN disconnected. And I just went back and re-engaged the USA version.

With IPV, have have been getting very, VERY inconsistent performance, regardless of what protocol, city or server utilized. (BTW, The closest IPV city to me is about 120 miles away. Often Vancouver CA, more than 3500 miles away is faster, regardless of protocol!!)

My ISP sub is supposed to be 100 Mbps down, often it approaches 110. With IPV, my speed seldom exceeds 60 Mbps & often nosedives into the lower teens.

Proton: Using a free server from Japan, the speed exceeds 80 Mbps. (Of course the latency sucks, LOL.)
IPVā€™s intro price is a good deal. But the renewal price is much, much too expensive. If I can renew at the price offered by Troypoint, I might consider renewing. If not, Iā€™m swicthing.

The only serious issue that Iā€™ve had with ProtonVPN is that their app for Linux Mint 20+ doesnā€™t work, neither the GUI nor the CLI versions. And CS has so far not gotten back to me.

EDIT: I got an email this mornng with some suggestions, about a minute after I posted thisā€¦
When I get a chance, Iā€™ll have to get familiar with the terminal, LOL.

The free versionā€™s countries/servers are much faster than any of IPVā€™s in my experience so far.

Proton paid connected to my closest U.S. server gives me consistent speeds of 75-80 during peak periods. I,m in Mexico so not good IP infrastructure. My only issue has been that the app on the firestick is lacking settings options. I brought this up with customer service, which did initially take 2 days to get back to me, but responded within hours on follow ups and assigned me one rep only for my account, not unnamed or unknown ppl. We talked back and forth and the end result is, they have agreed that there is an issue and are now coding a new app for streaming devices that will give everyone better control. Coming in about 2 weeks through github as they use the google app store for new releases and updates but mirror it to github for us Amazon flunkys. Personally thatā€™s the best customer service Iā€™ve ever received from any VPN Customer service.
I would like to note that the options avaiable in my Android phone proton app are unbelievable from malware blocking to ad and tracking blocking to ā€œsecure coreā€ servers similiar to onion routing, which although slower is far more secure than any VPN Iā€™vs seen yet. I bought a 2 yr ā€œplusā€ sub and get 10 connections. This cost me $200 cdn, about $160/U.S.

Miki, I had a glitch in the email side, and they were on it and had it fixed within a couple days. I was really surprised at their customer service.

1 Like

Do you know if it works with BBC IPlayer and ITV Hub?

I canā€™t honestly say as I donā€™t look for EU sources or programs. I know it works perfectly for North American sources including my free IPTV. I source channels for UK and EU through OlaTV when the need arises.

Thanks Mikki. Can I ask which channels you use OlaTV for, I may do the same.

OMG thousands. I use it for a lot of sports stuff as well as finding local channels in whatever country I want. Remember though, connect to what ever country server you want channels from, in your VPN.

1 Like

Thanks, I will give it a shot.I appreciate your time

It takes 3 apps Ola Kshaw and Ludio.

hmmm, Well this might explain why I never liked OLAā€¦ could it be because I never installed ludio and kshaw? :crazy_face:

Ummm maybe. :laughing: :rofl: Ooops.

@brianpcdobbs

About iPlayer you canā€™t used except If your VPN conneted to UK servers otherwise you will receive a message that iPlayer is not available in your country.

Thatā€™s why I put this in my post above:

" Remember though, connect to what ever country server you want channels from, in your VPN. "

1 Like

@Miki

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: Ooops just read it