New Walmart ONN box, 2 issues

These boxes are great and for the price you cannot beat them
With that said, I have 2 issues with them that are becoming deal breakers for me.
Not sure if it is the Android TV ver 12 or the box itself.

1 I can not find where i can resize my viewing screen on this thing. Previously there was a screen you could go to that had big arrows at top bottom and both sides and you could adjust it to your tv. Mine usually was a 3% or 4% decrease so that everything was viewable. I can not find this anywhere within configurations…

2 I need access to the android/data and android/obb folders. I have a case just on this and no real solution as of yet.

Hopefully Troy or someone can figure these things out and make this the chosen streaming box going forward.

2 Likes

ssbayman, I have the same issue with screen size. I also lost dolby 5.1 to my stereo receiver and can’t get it to work. Works on my Firestick Max. Also, couldn’t turn on TV and sterio at the same time. One of the other. It’s going back. I have a second one on a smaller TV without the above problems, keeping that one. Just a TV, no surround or stereo.

2 Likes

What app are you using that the Onn wont play 5.1 but Firestick Max does?

1 Like

I found it frustrating too. I just went into my tv picture settings, and tried different settings. But, for $20, this thing is a powerhouse

Hi Troy, read you review and watched your video. I went out and bought a couple of Onn units and loaded one up using your video instructions. I loved the Wolf launcher option and everything was great for about 3 days of use. Today I was watching a program and the unit attempted a reboot on it’s own but once it got to the Wolf launcher process, all I have now is the name Wolf launcher at the top left and the date and time at the top right. No apps are visible and the settings button or home button respond. I’ve tried rebooting multiple ways with no luck. I researched how to do a factory reset by holding the reset button in and plugging in the power cord but I wasn’t able to move to the factory reset bar using any of the buttons on the remote. It defaults to just a normal reboot which gives me the same wolf launcher screen without the apps. Do you think the launcher app is causing the problem or a problem with the Onn box? Any suggestions on how to fix would be appreciated. I would like to migrate away from my 4 fire sticks but so far not sure if the Onn box is the solution now. Thank you for all your helpful emails, videos and special discounted offers .

i have a smart tv, samsung, good internet 130 mps download, use sonos arc soundbar.
my onn has been working just fine untill today.
now when i click on input on tv for onn, it tries to load, won’t, then a black screen appears, and my tv has been shut off.
i tried unplug onn, unplug tv, retry to load onn.
same result, black screen.
tried unplug onn, unplug tv, unplug hdmi cable from tv and from onn,
unplugged cable with scandisk in it for extra storage.
plugged back in.
same result= black screen. tv is off.
any suggestions for me to get my onn back online and working???

2 Likes

If you haven’t already, I would unhook the sound bar and run the box into the non-arc HDMI port. See if it shows anything. Maybe even take it to a different TV and test. We need to isolate the issue. Hopefully it is something minor, but always a chance the box went bad on you.

1 Like

thanks, am going to try it on another tv.

tried onn on another tv.
see onn, see google tv, then a black screen.

If a factory reset doesn’t work, the box may be toast.

1 Like

pushed the button on back of onn, on the left side.
brings up menu to reset the remote.
held down the play button for some time, and nothing happened.
i did not see the option to reset box to default settings.
what am i doing wrong?

2 Likes

I have never tried to factory reset my Onn, but I know several people have tried because Launcher Manager caused a black screen. From what I know, they were able to use the voice command to get to settings and reset from there. Does that work? If not, I think someone had done it using that button, but forget all the exact steps.

2 Likes

voice command got me into settings.

am now doing a fctory reset.

factory reset seems to be working.

ggoing to troylpoint for installaton and setup instructions.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

2 Likes

Voice command only works with wifi connection. Wifi credentials were lost when I installed WLM.

2 Likes

I’m using tivimate and it does it all. I like the onn, but right now its not good for my big screen with surround.
Its funny because Netflix and Prime both have surround. I just don’t get it and I tried a lot of different settings but doesn’t want to work. It may just be this one box, just a bad one. I’ll get another one, maybe once they update the Onn. I thought I read somewhere they were working on an update already.

1 Like

Try using voice remote “open settings”

While you are watching IPTV, hot the center button, then down and go into your playback settings. Tellme what audio it shows. If it shows stereo like i think it will, there is no digital stream avaliable.

Yes, it does show stereo, but the FS Max shows the same thing, but I have surround with sound from the rear speakers with the Max and not the Onn. Maybe a bad box, I just don’t know.

1 Like

I guess we can agree to disagree. The box passes on what sound to play, the receiver plays it to whatever setting the receiver is set. This has to be a setting that is different from Onn to Firestick, I dont believe this is an Onn problem other than maybe you need to change a setting.

Also, just because sound comes out of all speakers, that doesn’t make it a digital surround sound audio source. Stereo can play from all speakers.

1 Like

I don’t understand it either. I’m using the same plug on the stereo for the Max and Onn, same hdmi path. It could be just the box too. Bad one. Maybe in the future I’ll get another one and play with it.
I’ve got one on my front room TV and I love it.

4 Likes