Kodi Backup Instructions

After several issues with both Kodi 20 and Kodi 20.1, I have decided to do a backup and then restore Kodi 19.4. On this site, I have found bits and pieces of instructions, but nothing complete. On other sites, I have not found what shows in their images/instructions on my screen. I have installed Backup (robweber 1.6.8). I initially got a message that files may need to be rewritten and closed out of that area. When I located backup in program addons and clicked on backup, I got the message that the destination may not be writeable and asked if I would like to continue. Is there some place that has complete instructions, including what to do with each of the messages? I also need to know how to set up a backup schedule.

Kodi mega guide.

Sounds like you are not following them completely. Also id Uninstall and re install.

This is what shows on the must watch yt video: This video has been removed for violating YouTube’s Terms of Service

Several of these guides are about The Crew. I am not using it.

I haven’t had any issues finding the colon key.

My issues have not been with proper installation of addons. They have been with sudden freezes or with Kodi just shutting down completely.

I do plan to uninstall/reinstall but I need to know how to backup first.

Backing up to a zip file is quicker and smaller than using the built in backup addon. Add the crew repository and then install the crew wizard from the program addons section in the repo. Go into the maintenance section and do a build backup. Make sure you set your folder location first. Before you open Kodi though you may need to go into your application settings and give Kodi permission to access files and media at all times instead of just when using the app. This made a difference for me to be able to read and write files through Kodi.

Thank you.

How do I set up the folder location?

I don’t find build backup in maintenance.

Search around in the crew wizard and you’ll find it. I think you can change the folder location in maintenance settings. You have to click on the headings to expand the sections. Then for some reason your cursor shoots back up to the top and you have to scroll down again to see what you expanded.

1 Like

Been using KODI for 7+ years and never had a reason for any backup. What are you actually backing up and where? How? With KODI if something doesn’t work one simply does a Fresh Install.

I agree with this, you shouldn’t need to backup kodi really… You get trakt to watch your stuff and just use a simple addon and off you go, if you need to downgrade trakt does the job. Kodi only really has issues on the firestick.

I understand what you’re trying to do and the rationale behind it, but it may not work the way you want. If there’s something in your advanced settings file that is causing the issues then transferring it to Kodi 19 is just going to cause the same issues. If you don’t have that many addons I would start fresh and reinstall them all. I would actually clear your app cache and data then uninstall. Try reinstalling 20.1 with just a single addon, not a build. My fire stick 4K has been working perfectly fine like that. I don’t know why it’s being circulated so much that 20.1 shouldn’t be used on fire sticks at all. Depends on how much other junk you have taking up memory.

Because of the 1.2 or 1.5 of ram usage the stick has and the recommend settings for kodi 20 is 2gigs. So you would really need to clean your firestick daily after every use and watch your cache and addons you use. Kodi on a firestick on 20 with ONE addon. Kodi 20 basic usage is more than the stick offers. Then there is people who want builds and all kinds of addons it just will have issues.

Agreed! @Miki was the Master of keeping his Stick clean, Lean, and Mean!!! But now that he has that fancy new Shield there is no use for the Stick :rofl:

I don’t have a FS. I have an X5. I started with 19.4 and added some addons - all as per TP instructions. I haven’t done anything fancy and everything’s been done according to the instructions on the TP site.

I didn’t start having issues until I upgraded to 20. They continued with 20.1. The only thing I changed was the upgrade. I do have a few addons - all based on TP info and all installed one-by-one - so I don’t want to have to reinstall them. My X5 has 128GB of internal storage so that’s not the issue.

By all means, try the backup and restore method. I hope it does work on 19. You can use the regular backup addon within the default Kodi repository, but with recent changes in Android OS you may need to change your app permissions to grant Kodi access to files and media at all times. Let us know how it works out.

1 Like

I have not used tract. Will this save my addons so that in the event of the need to restore I’ll have them?

No, Trakt will not save your Addons. Trakt is really neat and you can do a lot but at it’s very basic it keeps track of your TV Shows/Movies as well as your Progress, and Marks episodes watched. The nice thing since it’s cloud based you can access on any device and when you need to reinstall your Addons your shows will still be there. As far as this talk of Backup/restore in KODI for either KODI or Addons, I’ve been at this over 7 years and never heard or seen anybody do this. Perhaps there is a way but really just doing a new install is quite easy

1 Like

Thanks. The addons I use mark them watched and allow me to resume where I left off if I didn’t finish. Not a fan of cloud based anything. Kodi is easy to install but adding the addons back is time consuming. Then there’s the issue of remembering what I had installed. I guess I just haven’t found the right spot for info because I haven’t found anything that Trakt does that interests me. I don’t make recommenations and don’t share on social media.

:man_shrugging:

Trakt only saves to your account. Doesn’t get shared on social media or anything unless you choose to. Some of the benefits of Trakt are that your watch history syncs between devices. If you’ve got Kodi on 3 devices in the house they all stay updated. You don’t have to worry about accidentally wiping your app data and losing everything. Also, if you’re out and about and someone recommends a movie or show to you, you can pull it up on the Trakt website and add it to your collection. It’ll be there waiting for you on your devices the next time you open them.

2 Likes

The backup addon will backup all your apps and should backup your watched history. You can replicate your Kodi setup on more than one device. However, that backup is only one point in time. Trakt would allow you to sync your watch history for everything since you made the backup.

1 Like