How to use Kodi

I have been a Kodi user for at least 5 years and am frustrated at my inability to figure out how to use the various basic controls. For example, if I want to pause a movie I’m viewing because I find it’s not an English friendly version of what I was looking for, it pauses and then docks in the upper right hand corner of the screen. When I would try another link, there is no way for me to dis-engage from the original link unless I exit Kodi?! I have tried searching high and low for a detailed explanation of Kodi both through Google and YouTube but have come up dry. Any suggestions on how I can learn all the aspects of how to use all the controls and features?

1 Like

Sounds like you are trying to exit something the wrong way. You need to exit out of the movie/show you are watching if you want to watch something else. Not sure what device or remote you are using but best way is to long click on your enter (center) button which will bring up the on screen KODI controls. left or right scroll to the square button. That will take you back to the streams, then just back out to where you want to go, If you have been using KODI for 5 years I found it hard to believe you are having issues with this. This is Basic KODI 101. Good Luck!

1 Like

I do believe, like Mark said, that simply hitting the “stop” button versus the “pause” button will keep it from staying in the background and let you exit cleanly back to menus. When I first started with Kodi, I used to just hit “back” like the VOD apks I use, but Kodi is different and if you do that it stays playing in the background and I scrambled to stop it.

1 Like

Good day my fellow insiders. As you know I’m getting back into the kodiverse after a couple of years hiatus. I am cutting my teeth on the Elementum addon. For me when I long press it “pauses” the vid and then I click down to open the bottom bar with the controls, then I scroll right to highlight the square and click, and that takes me back to the start page of the video I started, then a bunch of “return” clicks and I’m back to my Kodi start page where I can completely shut Kodi down with the “power” button top left. Now if while watching the movie I quick click enter then I bypass the “pause” and get the vid controls down the bottom pop out immediately. I’m sure there are other ways, maybe, but this was the fastest for me. I’ve barely touched the settings. Checking Audio now. :laughing: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

OMG the options are almost limitless. Now I have to test DTS-HD vs. Dolby Digital Plus. Even found the overscan setting in Display, wonder if that might help some of the Onn gang?

Yup when you first start using KODI the biggest mistake is hitting the “Back” button while watching something instead of opening the on screen menu then hitting the square button and backing out that way as you both said

4 Likes

Help the ONN gang with what @Miki I get perfectly crisp 4K (when available) Streams on my ONN Box.

1 Like

Oh no not that. Weren’t some having issues with overscan? Where their picture was off the screen. With this setting in Kodi they could fix any vids to fit their screens, I think.
My biggest learning curve is actually Trakt in Kodi. Wow, and I mean :flushed:. I found a gold mine of info using Trakt within Kodi. Literally thousands upon thousands of movies and series. I added 30 movies to my collection last night, for future watching. Movies I didn’t even know about. Oh lord, another addiction. Geee tx @MarkxG

5 Likes

Best Kodi tutorial from @Jayhawks659

1 Like

Tx @PapaS. I’ve watched that a couple of times. I’m still sorta in grade school. Once I’m comfortable knowing where to go for specific settings then I’ll try the @Jayhawks659 vid, but first I think I’ll get @MarkxG to give me the Grindhouse info for install. Then I can move on to @Jayhawks659 vid from there. Honestly the choices are so many that It’s going to take me weeks to finally settle on a good setup.

1 Like

@MarkxG will come for my head for this suggestion but I would get right on creating your own build. That way you’re in total control. If I learned this @Miki , it should be a breeze for you. You can go all out on the personal preferences.

4 Likes

@Miki you like to tinker so maybe at some point as @PapaS says you will look to create your own build but I though having a mastery of Python was neccessary for that - Maybe Not. BUT that certainly is not for me. Ain’t nobody got time for that

As far as Grindhouse here you go. Once you are taken to the Grindhouse Wizard there are several KODI 21 Builds to choose from. They are pretty much all the same with the same Addons and mainly the Graphics and skins being different. I use the Cityscapes Build. Been using Grindhouse Builds for at least 5 years. Mark (Dev) is always on top of updating anything that breaks or clearing out Dead addons

5 Likes

Got it tx. Repo in and ready to rock when I have time. Tx bunches.

1 Like

Hey Miki, if ya into good movie lists check out the following addons for kodi.

Ezzermac repo Index of /repo
M.E.T.V
Patriot
Asgard

The Crew repo https://team-crew.github.io
Chain Reaction

1 Like

Tx @Anth Appreciate your suggestions. Oh and got any suggestions :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: it’s June 6 and freakin snowing here. Damn.

4 Likes

What genre ya in to?

Building a basic build is easy. Pretty much just choose a skin you like then go into the skin settings and customize the menu items, sub menu, widgets, etc. Making the movie or TV series posters show up on the home screen is just widget configuration.

2 Likes

Arctic horizon 2 is a fantastic skin, with not much setup it makes a brilliant build.

Right I think I was confusing it with actually developing a Build which I believe is Python code. Because when I install a Build from a Wizard I see hundreds of thousands of lines of code when it is installing and read that Python is used.

Thanks Mark. I am somewhat of a tech savvy senior, not a professional, so I do not code or do other things that many of you are so talented at. I “stream” 50% of the time and watch traditional cable tv the balance of the time, so I am not as proficient at some of the subtleties of these various environments as I probably should be. It’s great to have a resource like Troypoint and a forum like this to ask the occassional question. You all are great at helping those of us in need. Based on the feedback from this querie, I’ll try and become a little more proficient by applying the suggestions. Baby steps. Thanks again to all of you for your timely responses. :smiling_face:

1 Like