Device can't play any TV show or Movie?

Hey all,
Thanks in advance for all your knowledge. My son is at staying at school and suddenly this semester he can’t play BeeTV, Flim+, etc,. He gets to the actual stream link but they don’t play. His Amazon Prime works but nothing else. Could this be a school “blocking” thing? Any ideas would be great, thanks.

1 Like

Is this a school internet service? Has he been accessing Bee/Film+ et al with or without a VPN?

1 Like

He’s dorming at one of the SUNY colleges. We had no issues in the first semester but when he opens BeaTV and gets to his show, the links show up but he can’t play any. He tries all the other apps as well as Kodi and it’s all the same. But his Prime (we pay) works fine. No VPN, btw. Should he invest in a VPN or because it’s the school internet that would be a waste?
Thanks

1 Like

Normally, school internet is severely throttled back to get it to everyone at a usable speed. I think the VPN is the right answer, but it may throttle it back too much and be too slow to stream. I suppose it is possible they saw he was streaming unverified content last semester and blocked it or throttle it even more, but it’s hard to say. Can he run a speed test?

1 Like

The school probably blocked certain connections. Also id get real debrid and try this:

Take a look here for the best recommend aps with real debrid setup.

2 Likes

I’ll have him do that, thanks. I’m very suspicious that all of a sudden all these apps don’t work but Prime does. He also had a IPTV last semester w no issues. No iptv this semester, btw. Football is over.

It seems like everyone out there is trying to eliminate or minimize streaming unverified content, so their IT department may have an initiative to block as much as they can. Could be the reason he is having trouble this semester, maybe they noticed it was a huge issue campus wide or something. I still think try a good VPN and like Dracoo mentioned, Real Debrid. If that combo doesn’t work, utilize the free trial part of the VPN and get your money back, and just do a short sub to start off with RD…that way you aren’t out too much if it doesn’t help the problem.

2 Likes

Could be a number of things…but what AMD & Dracoo have said/suggested sounds very plausible to me also. I would imagine there is some degree of scrutiny (within legal limits of state institutions) on what’s considered legal content, or not, that college students are streaming thru an institutional ISP contract…but not sure, as I haven’t been in the biz for awhile & don’t know what policies are used in these days of streaming.

2 Likes

Agree, free linx are getting way more scarce & maybe update or try anothr extrnal player

Another external player? What does that mean? Thanks

It may not help, but it could.

2 Likes

If you (he) have unlimited dated on his mobile device. Then set up a hot spot and use that. Thereby, bypassing the school all together.

That’s a decent idea. Thanks

1 Like

Sorry, meaning u can play Bee & othrs thru an extrnal plyr such as MX or VLC, thot maybe he was already using 1 & cld update it or try anothr, slight chance it wld work but ya never kno

1 Like

If nothing else…using the hotspot will verify, or not, that the school is blocking certain content…but…I wouldn’t get into a habit of going thru the hotspot without some VPN protection…as I believe most here would probably agree. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Best VPN for streaming and do they have a free trial? Thanks all, love the knowledge!!!

1 Like

Most have trial periods of apprx 30 days…I have Surfshark…others have IPVanish…Troy has those as #1 & #2 on his reviews…also extra discount months…here’s the SS one…you can look up the IPVanish one if you’re interested…I think SS is cheaper but not positive.

Seems the college is blocking sites that are deemed “illegal”. There was no real answer to the question of whether or not he was using a VPN, but I would think they could throttle you down to “college levels” if they detected a VPN too and had a contract with the provider. Hotspot, or another provider may be your only way around this.

It’s going to be tough any way you slice it. Might be a perfect opportunity to set up a home Plex server and have him stream from that. You wouldn’t have the options, but at least you would have potentially all the movies that you own and he can then stream them legally in his dorm room.

You sure those are the movies he wants to stream lol? Maybe the college is doing what the parents want?