X-Plore does not see flash drive

BACKGROUND:
I have a Firestick 4K Max 2022 with a 16 GB FLASH DRIVE that has apps side-loaded that run fine.

1. X-Plore does not show the external flash drive while all installed apps in both external and internal are shown on right without an indenture for any of the side-loaded apps.

It’s as if the external is not in system but it is and seen by the firestick. I can’t perform moving apps such as Netflix (Troy’s example) if I care to.

2… Perhaps related X-Plore reports that Firestick is not rooted and taking action to correct from w/I
X-Plore does not change anything?

My other discoveries I’ve pulled my hair out for will be in another post if no one Troy or anyone else has shared the solutions.

Troy - you are amazing!
Tnx,
Ira

@Iraisok Hi

This is TP link explain how to expand fire tv stick with internal storage

Matrix -thanks but I read and liked those instructions well before installing the flash drive. Your response does not at all address the issue.

As mentioned.

1. Flash drive works. I can transfer apps to it.
  2. Why does X-Plore app NOT detect it?
  3. Why does X-Plore report the “… is not Rooted” and when I click that msg brings up info looking reporting rooted. I return to main screen and it still reports not rooted?
1 Like

From my research x-plore has issues with this and you need to make changes and change some settings in x-plore. I did a search and found a link to the instructions for you. Hope it helps.

https://www.lonelycatgames.com/docs/xplore/usb-otg

Miki,

Tnx! I read the article. I can’t find where in
X-Plore main screen, when I select Configuration Gear, I can make the change per image in that article. Please walk me to it.

Also, I’m thinking my other comment where on right panel under Root / says i “Your device seems not to be rooted.” That is where the USB Flash Drive indenture showing its installed apps would be. Do you know how to solve this? I think it’s the problem … reason why I don’t see the USB DRIVE?

2 Likes

@Iraisok

In my opinion it has to do with the settings
Did you try the developers mode settings

https://www.aftvnews.com/understanding-the-amazon-fire-tvs-various-developer-options/

Tried it. No change to X-Plore view with ADB enabled or disabled. I leave it enabled.

I still think USB is not shown because “Device is not rooted”. I’ve not been able to correct that.

Anyone have that in X-Plore and resolved it?

Tnx again!

1 Like

@Iraisok

Is the USB Debugging enabled

The most likely reason for the Fire stick to not recognizing a FAT32 USB drive or other like mouse, keyboard, or wired USB game controller is having “USB Debugging” enabled.

In the Fire sticks / Tv’s settings menu, if you scroll to the right to “System” and then down to “Developer Options” you’ll find an option called “USB debugging.” If that option is turned on, the USB port cannot be used with USB drives or peripherals. Turn it off and your USB port will start working again.

This what I found from other users having the same issue.

I hope that this will work for you.

1 Like

Settings>my fireTV>developer options.

1 Like

Been there set that no change.

1 Like

@Iraisok

This link also from the same expert. I think to start from the beginning :thinking:

Fire TV Stick 4K Max
https://www.aftvnews.com/fire-tv-stick-4k-max-fully-supports-external-usb-storage-with-ease/

The Amazon Firestick 4K Max 2022 Developer Options does NOT have a “USB Debugging” option. It has ADB option (I read that somewhere when reading about older AFT’s. Having ADB enabled or disabled changed nothing.

I appreciate your thoughts. Respectfully, I believe the core problem is the msg right where the USB would appear that says DEVICE DOES DOES NOT SEEM TO BE ROOTED?

Any ideas?

Tnx.

I would like to try “Safely Eject”. Shutdown AFT then reinsert USB then power up the. Check X-Plorer.

Should I lose any side-loaded installed apps if I follow the above procedure. Also, it’s a Sandisk (recommended) and was formatted on this AFT.

@Iraisok

In the link above click on the menu to see lots of solutions all about Fire devices also about
side-loaded good :+1:

rooted has nothing to do with your issue. Rooted is admin right over everything contained and is not needed for this task. Could be an update issue with android that considers external storage same as internal? Ive seen others revert to an older version of xplore and others with same set up with no issues.

1 Like

TXRon - Tnx for your quick response. It’s just odd that one line msg is precisely where the USB drive indenture would be (under Internal on the right panel).

So, I believe you are blaming the currrent version of X-Plorer that I d/l’d only a few days ago 9for the first time. Guess I must wait for another update hoping the developer sees my post with yours and other kind responses.

Do you know of another full featured free app such as X-Plorer? I know PC utilities quite well but new to AFT. Is Total Commander one?

1 Like

yes total commander is another app much like xplore. You can try it. I have it and xplore installed. Also in xplore check your config settings, show hidden files etc. Sometimes a re-boot is needed for things to get sorted out(fyi).

Hidden files checked in Config. Rebooted multiple times.

As asked … is it safe to eject USB, pwr down, remove USB, restart, reinsert USB???

Will try Total Commander also.

yes and might help clear things up

I’ve got the same problem, but it seems to work ok most of the time, but some times I have to try several times to usb before it goes. Another thing that I have found is that if I sideload an app it goes right to usb, so I always look for a source other than Amazons app store for an app I want install. Life would be so much easier if they would make these things with a decent amount of storage.What do they gain by having such limited storage.