Windows question

I’m a linux user but ive heard that windows 11 allows for apps? is this true and is it if at all .apk <<< android package kit…type apps? any of you windoze peeps know?

2 Likes

Not in the way a phone works or an android box. There is limitations still, and you need some hard specs along with an ssd. Its the us amazon store you can run and anything innthat store. You will still need bluestacks for other apps outside that im pretty sure unless this changed.

You will also have to tweak and turn on virtualization as you would with bluestacks to get more power.

I could be wrong, i still use 10 and stacks.

1 Like

Can be done, this may be helpful.

1 Like

interesting…extra dots for post :roll_eyes:

I use BlueStacks with Windows 10 . They call programs apps but as Dracoo said don’t work the same without BlueStacks.

If you’re a Linux user and looking to use Android apps get a Chromebook. It has the play store. You can also put it in developer mode , side load your favorite streaming apps and once in developer mode you can also run Linux . Good luck :pirate_flag::pirate_flag:

Their apps are actually horrible. I stopped using PC years ago. That’s just my opinion. Nothing I tried was worth anything. Now the apps on my MacBook Pro are very nice

1 Like

ive tried chromebooks and desktop clients. They just dont seem to be powerful enough for my needs…but…nevermind, my Qnap came in today so I already have a new toy :sweat_smile: :atm: :atm: :atm: just got it running with channels dvr and emby for a side by side comparison for a few days, then I ditch one and run with the other :thinking:

3 Likes

Have fun with your new toy ! :sunglasses: :pirate_flag::pirate_flag:

Please update us on the side by side comparison with the Qnap. :v:

Thanks, my main goal is to setup ustvgo in a docker container, route it to either tivimate or emby and be done…well at least till next week :rofl:

1 Like

Same here. I gave up on Broken Windows 8 years ago. Started using it back in 1991 on my IBM PS2 …a $1,400 pile of scrap metal with a 3.5 floppy driverunnin on Windows 3.1… Why did they charge so much for computers capable nothing more than typing back then :person_facepalming: anyway, after 20 years of windows I refuse to buy anything that has it.

I was buying one every few years. My MacBook Pro is about 8 years old and runs like it’s brand new. Such a difference. Ya I paid a lot more than what a new PC would cost but it’s been worth it

1 Like

Yeah Mac OS is much better. I just use a Chromebook to surf the web here n there and that’s about all I do with it. I use my phone and TV boxes mostly.

I don’t use it regularly. I have a 12.9” iPad Pro on a keyboard case that I use sitting in living room. I’ve been thinking an inexpensive Chromebook or Android tablet just to have and use in living room as well

1 Like

If you get a Chromebook get the flip type . I fold mine so it’s in an upside down V shape and stream videos while I’m cooking . It doesn’t take up counter space

1 Like

That sound like a good set up

1 Like

Lenovo Chromebook C330 2-in-1 Convertible Laptop, 11.6" HD Display, MediaTek MT8173C, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage, Chrome OS, Blizzard White https://a.co/d/eUlMiSt

That’s the one I have. It’s not a power house but it’s good for just what I need. Getting on the internet and streaming videos while I’m cooking

1 Like

similar to what I picked up awhile back. Got a lenovo thinkpad 11.6 flip with windows. As soon as I got it I wiped windows off and installed manjaro linux…works great even the touch screen. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. It won’t be for power using, just to sit in living room and surf really

1 Like