WIFI 6 how does it work if your router or modem don’t offer it

Yes lot of people are not understanding how the new WIFI 6 works If you have WIFI 6 I’ve heard the Firestick 4K Max want work per Best Buy

1 Like

@Govikings041762

If its not offered by your isp, then it doesnt work.

4 Likes

only the newer routers offer wifi6. Its usually a selling point listed on the box. If your modem/router offer it it is a performance boost esp in the home or in gaming thru wifi. Wifi6 is equipment dependent not isp dependent.

6 Likes

Here in Fla i have Frontier fios and when i upgraded to gig service they also included eero mesh routers with wifi 6. I only use one firestick max at this time which has minimal buffering. So it all depends on your service and router.

1 Like

if you have a wifi6 device, you need a wifi 6 router to get the maximum benefit. i have a firestick max which is wifi6 enabled and i have eero pro 6 mesh routers and it works well, i had a regular 4k firestick with a wifi5 mesh router and could get 17 megs down in my kitchen. when i upgraded to the 6 stick and router i now get 75 megs down. that difference is not a coincidence

4 Likes

I use the Firestick Max on my wifi 6 router and it works great. I also used older versions of Firesticks on my new router and they also work well since the router is backwards compatible. Not sure what Bestbuy is referring to.

2 Likes

Hi mabert. Could you please explain what router/modem backwards compatible means? Sorry for my ignorance :confused:

Basically the wifi 6 router will also connect with electronic equipment that are not wifi 6 compatible since they are of a younger protocol.

1 Like

Just to be clear, wifi 6, or 6g internet has to be offered by your isp first. You could have a 1000g router, wont work unless its offered by your internet service provider.

You can only connect to what you have.

1 Like

Got it :+1: Thanks for your help. It takes me a while sometimes then all if a sudden the little light :bulb: bulb appears above my head and I get it :smiley:

2 Likes

For wifi 6 all that is needed is a wifi 6 capable router and devices that can use the ax protocol. ISP has no bearing on wifi 6.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information Chas00
Appreciate all advice and explanation possible :+1: :blush:

IP6 is a delivery system from your isp . WIFI 6 is a delivery system within in your LAN.

1 Like

There is no semantics here. My ISP has not upped to IPV6. I have a Wifi 6 router and devices that that can access the wifi 6 protocols. Do not need IPV6 for wifi 6.

2 Likes

correct ipv6 and wifi6 are 2 completely different things. :+1:

1 Like

this is not true. wifi 6 is not isp dependent.

1 Like

@doggpound
@Chas00

But your modem supplied by the isp will only go as fast as its programed to go. Id suggest talking with your isp.

I can admit to be wrong, doesn’t bother me, but as i worked in tech and server maintenance for a telecommunications company you do need isp support, their network would need to suppost 6gig band. But all is well thanks for the update.

When you mention the 6gig band are you referring to wifi 6e (axe) protocol?

Has nothing to do w/your provider, only if your provider has supplied you with equipment that supports WiFi 6 or not. This is device dependent, NOT provider dependent.

2 Likes

@Skoutariotis

Alright, thank you. I appreciate the info.

1 Like