What are some great questions to ask an Internet Provider when one is trying to shop around and decide on one?

Trying to come up with a good arsenal of a list of facts or questions (that typically isn’t volunteered via their specs) that would help with deciding on the best for one’s needs when there may be multiple options in providers. I’m not talking about the obvious - fiber vs DSL vs cable and using their vs my equipment- but like a good list to reference for myself (due to moving) and anyone else to utilize that we wish we would’ve known to ask prior or even later on. Even Better if it were not specific to just one category- so others may be able to add or refer back to this list- (only thing I’m finding in my weak search are lists of questions-but sponsored or provided by the companies themselves) My specific needs would focus on a household that only needs internet- fiber optic without going down the 1GB over-kill rabbit hole- 2-3 screens streaming verified and unverified… , VPN occasionally somewhere in that mix, and one soul working home office (uploading minimal). Some pretty good meeting-of-the-minds utilize Troy’s platform- and this topic could be a great opportunity to tell each other how smart we are🧐

Unfortunately all the important questions you can ask the ISP won’t answer.Try asking do they throttle their Internet connection during peak times. Or if they block certain connections like third party service logins anyone that has had at&t internet will know what I mean.

1 Like

Some examples of things that I would want to know- 1) the “up-to” speed? Are they only guaranteed (ex 500mbps) from main hub to area hub? To the modem? What about modem to the router? Or router to device? Even if I have cat 6 from modem to router to a device all wire- never get even close. Or (2)- I would use my own router- but what about the modem? Better to use service providers or my own as well or does it make any difference? Or 3) some providers are calling it “internet” and then next step “internet ultra” all fiber- in packages 300, 500, 1 GB, etc,—- what’s the difference, aside from supposed download speed or capacity Wi-Fi 6-? Any benefits to wifi6 if (like mentioned) they throttle in peak times(or in my case soon- heavily populated and close living quarters) 3) I’ve heard of contacting “loyalty department “ for specific requests or customization, what types of service should I know about to utilize that? 4) some services add unlimited mobile for a device automatically included in the internet-only package- what’s the significance to that if family already has a separate mobile carrier plan? Just trying to get some pointers and facts. Thanks all in
advance

Just a few answers after the do they throttle question.

VPN, Once you use that, Your ISP speed doesn’t matter, you get what your VPN will deliver you and it will almost certainly be a much much smaller amount than your paid for speed.

300, 500, 1GB, matters not really as no server or streaming site will give you that. To see that speed, would take a test your speed with your ISP if they have one. It’s the only time you will see that bandwidth and honestly, you don’t need 1GB unless you have kids playing online games even as per the ISP

Medium, Copper, Cable, Fibre, doesn’t matter. What matters is you get the speed that you pay for and again, reference my last comment. You sure don’t need it from streaming.

Your cable from their modem to your router at this point, doesn’t matter. They will all give you the speed if it’s available. I don’t think you will see Cat 3 around anymore.

Your ISP should deliver to THEIR modem what you pay for. The modem should be able to pass through that same speed but at that point, it’s your router that may or may not be the bottleneck. Your tests will tell you that.

If you have a separate Cell plan then their offer is of no consequence unless you actually change over to them and port your number to retain it.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback- but just to satisfy my curiosity- back to the modem… are they pretty much universal when it comes to delivering best outcome? Meaning- a $5 modem does the same as would a $500 modem ? And if modem does play an important factor in overall performance- are you obligated to use the company- provided one in order for me to have or access their specific internet- or can I also use my own modem? I never use the service providers router bc I know that my RT-AX86U kicks ass- but never really inquired about the importance of modem quality ?

Some service providers allow you to use your own modem to connect to the internet other service providers absolutely will not allow you to use any modem but the one they provide but just remember, even then, you can have access to it, you can modify the settings, you can put your own password on there, change their password and on and on and on. You can get into the settings and do whatever you want even though you’re renting the modem, and that’s usually what I do, the very first thing I do is change their password, so they no longer have access, unless they know my password or have a backdoor. In some jurisdictions they provide the service coming in only, and then after that you do what you want with it. It’s the internet privacy laws. So a lot of what you are asking depends upon where you live the jurisdiction you’re in and the rules and regulations for your own State, your own province, your own whatever, whoever makes up the internet rules.

1 Like

What Miki said. Small Isp’s might let you do what you want but the big guys make you use their modem. In fact most are modems/routers but you can use it in bridge mode if you really want to use your own router but that’s another story. No, all modems and routers are not created equal, in fact two of Canada’s largest Isp’s hardware is absolute garbage in performance with a capital G. It’s why they brought in pods etc because the wifi was a joke. I used to used power line adapters and my own extenders years ago and made one ISP (B) pay for it. My argument was simple, Why should I have to buy more hardware because yours is deficient and can’t provide your service. They knew it to be true. Credits were applied.

1 Like

Ask for the chat group and read the posts. That will give you a more honest appraisal of the quality of the service.

1 Like

Most companies have a little chat box on their website so you can ask questions or if you have problems they can be alleviated. AT&t got rid of theirs cuz everybody’s complaining about their high prices!

1 Like

I’m central Florida- and was completely satisfied with the company (similar name to an airline) that I’d been using since relocating here 2 yrs ago- simple fiber with great speeds- no bundled tv service, etc. Always respected privacy/ or *never seemed threatened by our streaming - never throttled and didn’t fail once even when the hurricane blew everyone else’s internet and power out for 10days last year (gotta love a generator)
But Now! Moving to different zip code in a community that directs residents to a one certain provider (I believe by the community’s choice, not logistically)… and the name of service rhymes with Shrektrum. My least favorite of all. Haven’t had to work with that one since living back home in New Orleans- and they were NOT. FUN. Even back in 2015 if my vpn failed for 30mins on any given day- like clockwork I’d get a letter in mail 72hrs later. Thanks for y’all’s feedback- appreciate everything

Not me! Was Happy as Hell when AT&T Fiber came into my area a few years ago so I could fire that Sham of a company Spectrum! $55/month for close to 400 MB wiFi (I pay for 300Mb but get closer to 400 MB)

Good for you!

Given the limited competition, you may be lucky if you have 2 viable companies. Many areas have just one and so they own the wire. The biggest question you need to get an answer to is speed and availability. They will lie about both so link up with some quality test programs and hold them accountable. if you can, speak to people who are in your area who have the choices you are looking at as a way to get real-world, perhaps long-term experiences. Good luck! I have Verizon Fios here and so far it is solid and much better than Spectrum which is their competitor.