Well....Fiber my Optic and Call me Speedy!

Finally got my Stuff “conflagerated” to my liking. It was an adventure in upgrading for sure but i’m winning the war on Buffering!
Addendum: Speed obtained with cat 8 ethernet straight from the ONT (fiber to ethernet converter box) to my 2.5gb ethernet card on a new pc I built. Next week i’m building out the whole house and office to new cat 7 ethernet and new switches, routers and cat7 wall-plate jacks to be ready for up to 10gig in the future. (I cant find a 1000’ roll of cat 8 cable.) Seems like not very long ago that I built the cat5e network I’ve enjoyed all these years. It’s been good, but time to upgrade. One thing for sure…the older I get the harder it is to keep up with… and attics and ladders are twice as rough! Wish me luck as I press on if these old knees hold up…

3 Likes

1 Like

Just curious… will those speeds definitely prevent buffering on kodi for live sports streams? Or will it depend on the source you are getting it from?

Well that for sure will help ruling out any buffering issues :rofl:

2 Likes

its way overkill for streaming actually. It does depend on how fast the provider can send it

So this is a gaming setup?

Just curious why you’d need this much speed. I’m happy when i get 100mbs…lol

I have a tech business. I mainly use it to back up data off site (From their offices to my retention servers) for several Dr’s and Attorneys that I built networks for. They are more comfortable with someone they know and can trust with their data than they are with “Cloud” Services. Especially since I built the networks. This includes Patient Data, which I have to have STRICT HIPPA Compliance with. I also maintain all these networks still to this day, albeit mostly remote stuff unless physical hardware issues come up…rarely but happens now and then and I have to go in. I’ve changed 2 power supplies and 1 NIC out in the past three years! Old IT folks don’t quit…we upgrade and adapt!

4 Likes

Gotcha… i was having speed envy but I’ll never need that much. Lol

1 Like

I have to have it sub-netted due to the HIPPA compliance. And believe me they check me on a regular basis. I’m happy to oblige to the requirements though due to the nature of the trust instilled to be able to do it. My wife helps manage that department as she is a Nurse Practitioner, with an Informatics background too. My “personal” portion of the bandwidth is still more than ample to stream what I want, when I want. Weirdly, I rarely watch tv nowadays, just live sports and a few VOD’s I like. the “Chase” is better than the “Catch” still rings true I guess…

5 Likes

You don’t need those speeds to prevent buffering. I get close to 400 MB from AT&T Fiber (I don’t use a VPN) and that is plenty. And KODI IMO is not reliable for IPTV. I absolutely love KOD! and it is my daily go to for VOD shows/movies and a few years ago the Crew IPTV worked flawlessly for about a year. But KODI for live TV/Sports is a losing battle IMO. Find a good IPTV service that is locked down and underground. My main service is invite only, no web site, no discord, no advertising and it is the only one I’ve found that works flawlessly with no buffering on NFL Sunday’s. If you have seen the posts about the Alibababa service then you will know what I mean.

2 Likes

I stated it was way overkill for streaming, I realize that. My (Main) IPTV provider is also deep with no adverts nor discord whatsoever. Heck they wont even answer an inquiry from me to change my username! (They sure take my money to re-up though!) My backups do buffer at times however, and its aggravating. I’m just glad I finally have 2+ gig fiber and enough bandwidth to take care of my needs with the business and all. I’m lucky to be able to have it available here, and to me, the price is very reasonable.

Scotty I need more warp drive I need warp drive now.

3 Likes

WOW! That’s faster than an 18-year-old in a strip club! lol

Porky's

2 Likes

I get 1000 up and down and still get occasional buffering.

1 Like

Yeah most buffering is NOT related to the size of your pipe but a function of your provider. Most IPTV services especially those that will sell to anybody and advertise will buffer. They take on as many customers as possible and don’t spend enough to upgrade their infrastructure when demand soars

4 Likes

I totally agree with @MarkxG . Take the free m3u8 for SamsungTVPlus. Good HD sources and no buffering. I find lots of stuff on there worth watching and it’s free. Buffering is largely on the shoulders of the providers.

2 Likes

Hopefully you can use the old cable to “pull” the new cable into place.

1 Like

Good call on using the old cable as a pull. That’s pretty much “industry standard” when upgrading nowadays.
(This post was edited to remove boring stuff deemed not interesting by me…the writer of said boring stuff :face_with_raised_eyebrow:)

1 Like

Wow, redundancy too. Hope they are paying you well lol. I suspect so. If I had a bunch of sensitive data to store (does my TiviMate favorites list count?) I’d rather go with a guy like you too. The cloud seems insecure by its very nature.

1 Like

Well hopefully you have a 1 story home and not a 2 story home. So much easier to pull wire for 1 story.

1 Like