VPNSafetyDot Now Requires Paid Subscription

2 Likes

Lol, seriously? People always trying to cash in on everything. This has become a monopoly and people willing buy into it.

4 Likes

App developer knows his worth anything useful or popular shouldnā€™t be free

2 Likes

My big question is, since itā€™s been free from the get go and now additional features have been added, triggering the new ā€œchargeā€, will my existing Version keep working if I donā€™t upgrade or will I be forced to update, triggering my vpnsafetydot deletion?

2 Likes

My VPN Safety Dot just told me my free trial was over and shut off 2 or 3 hours after installing the new version.

4 Likes

Yup. I got that and I didnā€™t even update. It just shut off. So now itā€™s uninstalled.

11 Likes

I opened the app and turned it on again. Itā€™ll probably give me the same message in a couple hoursā€¦ā€¦then itā€™s uninstall time :wink:

6 Likes

If Surf Shark has a kill switch in itā€™s service, is VPN Safety Dot necessary?

2 Likes

A monthly paid subscription is just like a NEW TAX that gives the developer a cash flow forever.

1 Like

No, no it isnā€™t. But it is an extra security blanket for me.

2 Likes

Most apps (that I have been on the ground floor of) that have went from free to paid have offered a onetime lifetime subscriptionā€¦

2 Likes

I was forced to update on my 4k Max, didnā€™t on my 4k but still see it shut off. It doesnā€™t have the exact same interface as the new one but has one button to activate premium so there was an update there as well. I just turned on the dot and it will be interesting to see how long it stays on. For me this is important as I only use it in the evenings for a few hours. If it lasts 3, I am ok but I know many of you are not. The next question is how long after it turns off will it take before you can activate it again. Will it be hours or just the nuisance factor. I suppose we will all have the answers to this soon enough.

I do have SS with the kill switch but it is always nice and comforting to see that dot.

I was able to turn back on the 4k Max one, turn it off and back on again. Iā€™ve left it off to see how how my 4k max runs before it stops. From reading their site, it seems that it may stop working. I wonder if uninstalling it and reinstalling would allow you to use it again. I know on a PC, there would be registry entries that would stop that unless you deleted them. Lets see.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a half-assed piece of programming anyway so no biggy hitting the uninstall button. In time someone else will come along and make a better free oneā€¦

3 Likes

For sure, it isnā€™t a real extravagant program, but has always worked (besides before this last update when it would crash) for what it is intended. It truly is unbelievable that there arenā€™t more programs exactly like it, but maybe this will speed up that process.

4 Likes

I have had the DOT on 4 FS-4ks and my Shield Pro for several months now and I did the upgrade on all 5 devices when prompted. I hit ā€˜Dismissā€™ when asked to upgrade and so far DOT is still working. I did get the prompt again after about 3 hours of streaming but hit ā€˜Dismissā€™ again. It has been about 24 hours now and all the devices are still showing the DOT.

1 Like

My free version still works without any issues maybe it depends on devices you use I have Nvidia shield pro and fire cube

Four hours of test on my 4k so far. I have not tested how long on my 4k max that will start but did stop last night. Four hours is way more than I would watch it in any evening so if we get that much, it works for me. I wonder if they are in kahoots with SS :slight_smile: So glad I have my kill switch and it works like a charm.

1 Like

I second that question, Miki.

Just deleted it off of my Firecube.

1 Like

I havenā€™t done any updates but now it says click here to activate premium. Iā€™m just turning on the switch and not clicking on the premium and it seems to be Still working on my shield. I love the dot but will not be paying that much for it I will hate to delete it but it will be gone when they force me to pay for it :hugs:

3 Likes