Ugoos UT8 Pro - Questions

I know this has been discussed a while back, but I’m having trouble deciphering exactly what the UT8 Pro offers. The specs are stunning, but all of the videos and research I’ve done on it make it seem like a mini-PC. From previous threads, someone mentioned that this is Android 11 but with a root switch. Is this formatted for regular TV use, or could you make it that way with a launcher (i.e. Wolf Launcher)? I’m sorry to be dumb about the functionality of rooted Android, but I really don’t want to buy a pretty expensive box if it doesn’t work well for me and my family.

1 Like

No reason to think you’re dumb asking questions like this, that’s what this great place is for. I bet @TXRon will help you out!

1 Like

Definitely don’t feel dumb this is what this place is for. I have a ut8 and set it up just like you would any other box . Not too hard with some experience not for someone with no experience. I use it as a backup for my Nvidia shield which I absolutely love except for the more and more influence of big corporate. I got the ut8 for back up like I said but also for the root capabilities which let’s you decide what you want to put on and delete from the system. The only thing I didn’t like with it was the remote had to get another one for me. TXRon is definitely the one who can give you more info. I have not done much with it since set up thanks to work and too many projects. I would get a Nvidia shield for family use and ease of use jmo. Good luck wish I had more for you.:v::grin:

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I have the Shield Pro on my main family TV, but I’m trying to replace my remaining FireTV’s. I’ve been watching YouTube videos on this UT8 as the specs are amazing. Love the memory (amount and the DDR4), love the Wifi6, love the quality of build. All of the reviews seem to be on a PC monitor with a mouse arrow showing. Is this how it functions with the remote on a TV, or did they just do this for the sake of benchmarking? I only have Shield Pro/KM6 Deluxes/FireTV(and Max), so this rooted Android stuff is super foreign to me.

1 Like

Pretty new to me also. Yes it does operate the same as all the other box once setup. Ron is the one who can help you

The UT8 is a bad ass screamer :alien: :rofl:… seriously its a great streaming box however its not android TV its stock android. Most any factory rooted or having a root switch will be stock. 8 GB ram and 64gb(my version) storage. It is a powerhouse for sure. I run tivimate and wolf launcher and ir runs flawless. Its one box ive never had any issues with. However for that much money I might shy away and lean toward a shield. The ut8 is a rockchip processor although a good one and no av1 that I know of …I prefer the shield. If you just want to go ugoos and go cheaper with a great amlogic 4gb ram look at the ugoos x4. Its a tiny box full of power.

3 Likes

So if a UT8 was set up exactly like a Shield Pro, for example Wolf Launcher, Tivimate, etc, would you be able to tell the difference in functionality or how it looks? I guess by that I mean are there different menus, does it resemble more of a PC, or unless you rooted this thing, it would function as normal on a TV? Does the fact it isn’t optimized for a TV, does that make quality of picture or anything different?

Tivimate and wolf will be the same as on any other box.

1 Like

The box will not be rooted out of the box. You would need to push a few buttons to root it. My ut8 is set up to root but I have the switch off, not rooted because with ugoos ive found they let me do as I please and rooting is not needed.

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you! What then can you do if you root an android box? I guess, in Layman’s terms…I can research it, mostly because I’m curious and hate the fact I’m so confused by it. Also, when you are shopping for TV boxes, what is the easiest way to tell if they are AndroidTV vs Stock Android? What in their title/description gives this fact away?

You really need to check the fine print on android tv vs stock. Many stock boxes will try to make it sound as if its the tv version. Remember just because its not the tv version has nothing to do with watching tv :joy:… basically just certifications required by google etc.

Rooting allows full access to the system. It can come in handy but also allows you to mess things up really bad if you dont know what your doing.

3 Likes

What in that “fine print” will give you the real information to what the box is? If you take the description of KM6 Deluxe vs UT8 Pro, it appears to be both AndoidTV, or is it just me? What words show you one way or another?

The ut8 is stock android.

I know that it is, because I asked you guys lol. How would you know if you searched google for the myriad of tv boxes out there? The average consumer wouldn’t know the difference to see the descriptions on the websites?

Look at the specs sheets on the device page. I believe the ut8 says android 11 in the description and the KM6 states Android 10 ATV.

3 Likes

The difference is often very obscure and up to you to research much as you are currently doing. I have nothing bad to say about any ugoos box ive ever had. I currently have an x4 and ut8 and any day I will have 2 more x4’s and 2 more x3’s :crazy_face:

2 Likes
  • (UT8) Operation System Android 11.0
  • (KM6) OS: Android 10.0 ATV
  • (Shield Pro) Operating System Android 11.0 powered by Android TV™ with Chromecast 4K built-in

That ATV must be the terminology to look out for.

I will say this one more thing. If a root switch is not needed or a factor in the purchase and cost is almost the same. The Nvidea shield is the best you can get at this time…period, hands down.

2 Likes

I thought so as well. As TXRon mentioned it’s often very obscure. You would think, as important as it is, that one of the first things would be something like “this device runs stock android” or " this device runs androidTV." To easy I guess.

these cheaper china boxes try to pass themselves off as android tv as well as other misrepresentations…

1 Like