Troy's VPN Rankings

Sorry @Mxyzptlk but not sure what you’re referring to.

1 Like

‘Then one CS rep explained they don’t care about streaming devices’

Think you got ahold of a customer service rep that was having a bad day or didn’t have a clue beeeeecause they specifically link to streaming channels on a secondary page on their website.

Lol. Ya no doubt. They certainly weren’t much help. But that aside, almost a year on and no improvement in the Proton options on FireTV or AndroidTV. Such is life.
Not sure what you mean about streaming channels in ProtonVPN.
I love it on my phone. All options are available.

I’m with 'em for 3 so they better get with the program. :wink::rofl::grin:

1 Like

Thank You @TROYPOINT for pointing that out. My favorites came off of the fact of myself trying them strictly for Android TV OS. I have Nord and CyberGhost as well but would not put them on this list due to not working well (for me) on Android TV OS. Using them on iOS is a different story but that’s not what I’d like others to base my favorites on (if anyone would) as this forum to me is not for that

2 Likes

I believe @Streaming429 has every vpn ever made :joy:

1 Like

Lol @TXRon And I’ve only done that to test on Android TB OS like @TROYPOINT had stated his rankings on. Seems most to all support iOS & Android Mobile. They may claim Android is Android, but when you dig deeper and speak with a CS Rep who actually know what’s shaking…they’re not and the same features are NOT available across both

1 Like

I know you are the official Troypoint VPN tester :+1:
I’ve got a 6 month sub of mullvad and so far I really like it.

1 Like

I’ve tried it for a month. It is good. I like the way you sign up. I did have a bit of trouble finding a location to steady stream from without buffering though. I did keep using it for that month and it was more working good than not actually

I went to their web page and looked at the server list and picked only 10gb connections, most are 1gb. Ive got a wifi connection 2 rooms away and it stopped most buffering except startup buffer which is normal.

I run on wifi on all of our boxes. It was just intermittent buffering throughout what I was watching. Not enough to kick it to the curb and not recommend to people though

1 Like

I’ve been an IPV user for a few years now, basically been a subscriber based upon TP’s recommendation. His switching his endorsement to SS came about a month after I reupped for IPV. I also have a free ProtonVPN sub.
I live in a small city where the closest IPV servers are in Cincinnati.

A few observtions:
-The fastest IPV servers are almost never the closest. I have better with speed using Chicago, NYC, Detroit, even Vancouver CA than the closest servers. The statements regarding fastest speed with closest locations are not valid, and I suspect that’s true for people living away from major cities.
-I haven’t had any problems with IPV losing connections recently. I have had a few occassions where the speeds have dropped precipitously, below what’s required to stream.
-There are occasions with IPV where I ‘shop’ locations and individual servers where I can’t find sufficient speed after 5-10 minutes of ssearching. That’s true across all my devices, even when Comcrap is actually delivering the speed that I’m paying for.
That is why having Proton available is good in my case. It may not have the switch or a built in indicator but it’s usually nealy as fast as the non-VPNed speed & it’s reliable in terms of not suddenly nosediving.

1 Like

SS gives me much more trouble than ipvanish even did. As soon as tbe contract is iver on SS it back to ipvanis for me.

2 Likes

I agree with @Mslea . I have been with IPV for a long time and grandfathered in with an amazing deal with them that i really can’t see me leaving anytime soon. Not saying there isn’t better out there, but for what I’ve been using and my set up for years now, i have had no issues with IPV. Sticking with what i got because it works. Oh yea, and the whole family and I have got used to the flashing “green dot” in the top corner of the screen. Lol. It works amazing. Love this group and things you can learn on the way.

2 Likes

@hbublow
Yes, I love my Insider community. Miki and Shayde have helped me several times. Some things takes me longer to get. Miki, has the patience of a saint. Everyone is so knowledge and helpful.

Totally, ain’t broke don’t fix it. I can’t beat my price point for my service. Another Insider had an price the was around $28 monthly for a lifetime. Would be nice if IPVanish added at least the kill switch and ad/malware blocking, since both these are really in line with what a VPN service should offer. They probably are working on both. I’m sure they have loss quite a few customers to Surfshark. Loss of revenue will encourage them to offer similar features to stay competitive.

All in all I can’t complain. Customer service has always responded to my need for help immediately. Lol, one time it was even around midnight.

1 Like

This is a great place! Nothing wrong at all with using something that works for YOU! As we all know here, the environment we’re hobbling with is constantly changing. I just focus on what’s best for my needs. It’s so great trying to check everything out everyone here recommends, but it may not be for you. I’ve tried things people have said they use, but didn’t work for me. No big deal. Move on and keep doing your thing

2 Likes

I been using Express vpn and other than having to update the app I haven’t had any problems.

1 Like

There are a few unique differences that Proton offers from most, albeit likely not significant for most to consider.

I have tried the paid version in the past (briefly).

ProtonVPN, like it’s other Proton family components is open sourced. Virtually all other vpns are closed source. Being based in Switz, they are also not members of any of the *eyes alliances of sharing countries. They also follow the pattern of offering a neutered free version of the program as they do with their other segments. Proton apps also employs 3rd party audits of their privacy points and publishes their reports.

That being said, a few “different” points, yes…but mainly inconsequential for most.

Higher prices, lower server count, not RAM based servers, hit and miss customer service, and sketchy device compatibility fall on the other side of the coin.

I don’t use it them any more but have suggested their free version to some that don’t want to spend any $$ on a paid VPN. Their freebie version neuters their features down to three servers and lack of geoblocking for popular content streamers.

That was a very good breakdown of ProtonVPN premium. Nobody is claiming they are bad or not a good company. I have their premium email and it is great. For android streaming, they just fall short. If they decide to focus more on that side of their vpn, I really think they would have a chance to be on this list.

I know people who have Proton VPN and you couldnt get them away from it. I have all the Proton products except the vpn and while I do like their mail, storage calendar etc. I really cant vouch for the vpn as ive only tried the free version and it was ok but I wouldnt have given up Shark for it.