Time to drop Firestick for Nvidia Shield?

Ok so I tested the 2 NY servers I have access to. New York have me 60 Mbps down and 47 up but had a ping of 380 (ouch) New York2 gave me a speed of 73Mbps down and 33 up with a ping of 56, Dallas gave me 57Mbps down 20 up and a ping of 71. Dallas 2 gave me 53Mbps down 40 up and a ping if 84.
So looks like New York 2 may be my latest go to server. Tx
London server 79Mbps down 16 up ping 357

2 Likes

I need to learn more about smb, sounds like what I need to move things around. :+1:

3 Likes

Just remember that the ip changes and not the city. You have to manually change your location

SMB is a networking protocol used by Microsoft.

All you have to do is:
Install X-plore
created a directory on your computer (example c:\Firestick)
create a new user on computer (this is recommended so you don’t use your login that has admin right)
Share the new directory
Add new user with rights to the new shared directory
Now goto X-plore and select LAN>Add Server
Enter IP address, user name and password.
You now have access to a external storage source.

4 Likes

I want to go down the same road withe the Tivimate recordings as you have done.
I set up an Emby server on the Shield but haven’t gotten around to doing much with it.
Don’t know if the Shield has enough horsepower. Kind of looking at a Dell 3630 I7. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Some of my retired neighbors were having cost issues either Comcast or AT&T and asked me to set them up with IPTV. I looked at the specs of the Max and thought they would make reasonable priced hardware solutions for them. Have done 9 Max’s over the past couple of months with standard apk install plus one provider that I have used for the past couple of years. Of the 9 Max units I have had to redo 3 for them. Each of the 3 were showing an error message that the memory was full (50mb remaining out of 5.33 gb) and some apks needed to be deleted. First one was a challenge trying to figure out what was happening. Looked to Amazon Support for guidance and was told to do a factory reset and start from scratch. What BS, so I did an analysis as to which apps were causing the memory drain. Was surprised that none were. All the installed apps totaled 2.8 gb and I had about 2.5gb of phantom memory use. After going to a bunch of forums (there are a lot of people who have this same issue) one person said the problem is with the stock KFTV Launcher. Fix was to uninstall the launcher and let Amazon repopulate with a fresh launcher. That was three weeks ago and so far so good. Just another reason that I won’t use the standard launcher for the Fire sticks.

2 Likes

Connected to Stockholm Sweden on my phone and ran a speed test. High ping but really not too bad on the speed side

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.