Time to drop Firestick for Nvidia Shield?

Oh no. I have only bought 3 firesticks for my personal use. They’re all still working. Total expense was around $125 which was quickly covered by setting up :fire: sticks for others. Love those Black Friday deals and friends. Unfortunately “Free” really wasn’t. No upgrades to the sticks themselves, just TiViMate and RD.

1 Like

I’ll take Android TV OS over Amazon OS any day.

I own 3 Nvidia Shields and they’re great. I even like the Onn Android TV device better than the firesticks

2 Likes

Yes, it is time to dump all Amazon steaming devices. The Amazon Firestick was a decent value even though it came with a lot of pre-programming that used up a significant portion of its memory that was completely worthless to many users. Using a launcher to rid yourself of unwanted proprietary applications made the device palatable. The memory issue could be dealt with by adding a thumb drive. Things were working well for a time. Now, Amazon seeks to force users to accept their proprietary content, like it or nor. That goes to far for me. I will retire all of my Fire TV devices in short order and move exclusively to Android devices (not Nividia!). Hopefully Troy will also move away from his emphasis on Fire TV. RIP fire TV!

5 Likes

No truer words were ever spoken. I fear you’re absolutely correct. Things are about to get a tad more expensive.

What Android will you get? The Ugoos AM7?

1 Like

9 posts were split to a new topic: Ugoos troubleshooting

I have had a Minix Uh9 for a few years. It has served me quite well. I only use my devices to watch streaming content where I live (in a foreign country). I will start using the Uh9 more and buy an Android 11.0 TV Box H96 MAX RK3566 Quad Core 8GB RAM 64GB ROM with Dual Wi-Fi 2.4G/5.0G, BT 4.0/ 3D Ultra HD 8K/ H.265/ 1000M LAN/ USB 3.0 Smart TV Box from Amazon (ironic). I have friends who had earlier versions of this box and they speak well of it. Most are programmers for hire. I program for myself and like the ability to control my content and experience as a whole. Regrettably, Amazon is getting greedy and will likely lose the folks out there who are capable of doing there own programming. There loss.

2 Likes

Agree, my Ugoos ut-8 has had zero issues. VPN is fast with box, no audio issues other than an occasional iptv channel and thats the iptv issue not the box. SDmaid works with no issues. Box is rooted and all options are open to me. So far best box ive ever had.

2 Likes

Post deleted by user.

2 Likes

I assume you can add usb drive for more storage??
I am not a programmer and have limited skills. I am a network engineer.
It’s a left brain right brain think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes you can. But i think, according to their specs, it is only up to 32gb. Perhaps send them an email to clarify.

2 Likes

Streaming429, curious as to how much your wifi downstream is affected by Surfshark vpn? Thanks

1 Like

Here are the results a few mins ago via Wifi 5G

is that the New York server? For me…although NY is far away, that server always is fast. Im starting to use it more and more.

1 Like

What’s your ISP speed?

It’s the Atlanta server at the moment

1 Like

Spectrum 400mbps plan

2 Likes

Copy…my speed is 300Mbps to the modem & 150-ish @ the tv thru surfshark…hardwired.

very good speed for a vpn esp with a 400 plan. Datacamp hub holds the record for fastest vpn speeds ever recorded.

I just switched to LA which is across the country for me and here is what I get