Surfshark vs IPVanish – Which VPN is Better?

Best thing to do is not rely on the dot just check your vpn. Seems like there not 100 % trustworthy.

1 Like

The dot has never failed me once. I have ProtonVPN and the dot dutifully comes on and displays as it should, when my Max is turned on in the morning. Not sure what version I have, haven’t checked in some time.

2 Likes

I don’t have the issue on my Max or other Firesticks either. The “turning off” issue is only on my Android TV boxes.

How very odd. You would think if AndroidTV is the issue they could roll out a fix. Not as if Android is some new or unknown OS.

2 Likes

Just don’t upgrade to their website version that is 199 as that is the buggy one.

1 Like

I am really torn. My IPV subscription expires on the 24th, this Saturday. Overall I’ve been really happy with IPV and not really had any issues other than a slight drop in speed. But that drop really hasn’t even been an issue. Surfshark sounds like a winner but I’ve always been a believer in “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” philosophy. Yes SS is a bit cheaper for 2 years but it isn’t a deal breaker with the cost of IPV at the Troypoint rate. Of course all depends on if IPV will give me the Troypoint 2-year rate. Otherwise it’s Surfshark for me.

**** Note: I really, really Troy and all the people that make this website a wonderful resource. With folks like Dracco and Miki have really added so much to this site. I really appreciate you guys. THANK YOU Troy and all the great posters!

2 Likes

Hey Jerry thank you for the vote of confidence. IPV or SS, which ever way you go I’m sure they’ll both do the job for you. I really liked the Killswitch in SS.

3 Likes

IP Vanish is still a darn good VPN. Nobody would blame you for staying put and keeping IP Vanish. VPNs work differently for each individual’s setup, so all cost aside, you can’t really make a wrong decision if you are going to go with IPV or SS.

4 Likes

I’ve used both. I have a slight preference for IPvanish but their pricing and renewal policies finally drove me away. I now have a 2 year subscription to SurfShark after almost 4 years of IPvanish.

3 Likes

@JerryJ I switched to NORD for more speed over IPV and I’m glad. It works well and most APKs play well with NORD. I got the first 2 years for $89 and just renewed for 2 more for $69.36 and got an extra month bonus. Speed, performance,support and a company hq in Panama.

Ok, so since I’ve been happy with IPV I decided to stay with them. I was able to negotiate $63 for 24 months. I’ve been with them for 3 years already. For my needs IPV serves my purpose. I did put a note in my Customer Service review that they should seriously consider having an option for the Kill Switch. But I’m not sure that they will jump on that with my urging. I do feel that Troy carries a lot of weight with the VPN providers.

2 Likes

Is it just me ,because my ipv has a kill sw that shuts down my internet if ipv gets interrupted?
It’s happened a couple of times and my torrent app shut down because of that protection

Not on the firestick it doesnt. Its why many of us switched to SS.

I subscribed to SS today. I have a few days with IPV. If the price had been cheaper for IPV i would have kept it but I am retired and money gets tight sometimes when you are retired and live alone as I am a widower now.
I just have to get used to SS is all. I guess I got too used to IPV.
I think they are both great vpn’s myself. I am sure there are others that are great too.
I am just glad for vpn’s and thank them all.

2 Likes

If you are having any issues getting Surfshark set up to your liking, many people here would be glad to give you guidance on that. They both are great VPNs and because of the privacy and security they create, it allows us to explore the truly amazing world of Cord Cutting.

2 Likes

I downloaded SS a to try after vanish did an update and I started having issues with buffering and freezing and with SS buffering stop and i was even getting faster speeds

3 Likes

Surfshark has many features but for me the inability to work with ipv6 formats was a deal-bresker. Open website kept changing to au.Xxx.com from xxx.com requested. Happened for wiFi and phone network. Their solution was to change the router config and request the carrier to turn off ipv6 format. For ios devices there was no internal setting to fix this. All must be done externally. Very frustrating as i really wanted it to work. The bells & whistles weren’t enough to fix this fundamental limitation. You can find this discussion of ipv6 buried in their support pages. Have to go back to IPV :frowning:

1 Like

I have been using Surfshark for a little while and have had a little trouble with it!
I switched to Fiberoptic and have speeds of around 300 Mbps but with Surfshark my speeds drop down into 70- 90 range! I have set the Surfshark to find the fastest connection but my speeds are way down!
Also MANY apps on my MacBook Air will not load or work when Surfshark is on!
Is there a way to get the VPN to work without disconnecting it?

1 Like

You can split tunnel the apps that won’t work with it on. Bypass in other words. Wireguard is usually the fastest protocol, but I also have seen good results with Open protocol. Be aware these will be unprotected but if there paid apps like Netf… then your okay. Mac stuff I can’t help you with, sorry. Welcome and I hope this helps

1 Like

Is there a Troypoint renewal discount for IPVanish. My time runs out in April.