Surfshark VPN Slowing Wi-Fi connection

Well… after trying the new No.1 of VPN’s, I was hoping that it wouldn’t “again” slow my internet connection down whilst trying to stream from my tv, as well as with my phone’s browser. But yet again, sadly “again” for the second time of returning to Surfshark, by constantly toggling my phones VPN options toggle back on automatically, when I wanted to turn it off. But anything that I’d tried to watch ended up buffering or wouldn’t work at all.

Does anyone know as what the issue is at all, in relation with my above situation?. As I’m still stuck back in the Bronze Age with a standard Amazon Firestick. Many thanks in advance to anyone that can give me a idea of what’s going on with it please.

1 Like

I switched from IPVanish to SurfShark this week, so far have not had those issues.

2 Likes

I have been using Surfshark for about 6 months. I have not seen any performance issues with Surfshark. I actually have 3 different VPN’s that I can switch between, so I can test and troubleshoot issues. I also have multiple devices running so I can have all 3 VPN’s running at the same time. Only one VPN running at a time on each device.

2 Likes

Hello @Auti_Laugh79 please keep in mind that all VPNs will slow down your speed somewhat as your traffic is getting routed through another server plus encryption is being applied.

Have you tried changing protocols?

I would also suggest rebooting your router, cable modem, and Firestick.

See this video for complete setup guide - https://troypoint.com/install-vpn-on-fire-tv-stick/#Surfshark_on_Firestick_Video_Guide

2 Likes

You said “again” and “return” to Surfshark. What VPN were you using in between? How was it working for you?

I was using a VPN called Bright VPN, & I thought that it was working okay, until it came to the point that I couldn’t switch from one country ie in this instance it was The United States. However… I will admit that, with the first time of using Surfshark that, I did find it quite confusing as I’m Autistic. But my broadband provider is British Telecom plc, & therefore because of their BT smart home hub, I’m also unsure as to if this has been contributing to the problem within its entirety & to be perfectly fair I’m definitely no technical genius when it comes to setting these things up. :sweat_smile:

Unfortunately, because every app and piece of software reacts differently at each individual household, the VPN speeds are very much a trial and error process. Run speeds without VPN to get a baseline, then run several tests with multiple VPN services if possible. Maybe even keep a chart of results to compare at the end. When running the VPN speed tests, try different protocols, try different locations (maybe a couple nearest to you, then try New York, maybe one outside of the country). Try turning on and off some of the features (like Adblocker or kill switch) and see if makes any difference. Jot down details of each run and results and compare to baseline. You are more than welcome to share those results here and we can chat back and forth, hopefully help you make a decision on best VPN for you.

1 Like

Whats the download speed of the firestick with and without the vpn on?

1 Like

Any VPN will slow your connection speeds, somewhat, so that is to be expected. The concern is how much they will slow down your speed. After using Surfshark and ExpressVPN, I’ve found the latter to be more reliable, although ExpressVPN will cost you more with limited connections.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.