Surfshark leaking ip address

Recently noticed that surfshark sporadically leaks my ip address and service provider. Used all the leak test sites to verify. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern to it. It only occurs on my android phone (pixel 7). When I notice I have to pause and reconnect, which reestablishes my surfshark ip address (though vpn is on when address is leaked). Been working with ss customer service, and the latest request was for me to disable discord and Zoom. I can do without discord but need Zoom for work, so if that’s the culprit something has to give. Prior to that they had me disable “no borders” in ss settings, but that didn’t work for long. They suggested I add zoom to the pass through feature, but I don’t know how that would help. I’m really concerned about this, especially that I only found out by sheer chance (on one of those sites that try to scare you into buying their product by showing you your real ip address). I was like, “Haha, suckas. I’m rockin surfshar…wait a minute, that’s my real service provider and location???” Anyway, I’ll keep this updated if peeps are interested. I’m hoping a solution is discovered that doesn’t involve me needing to uninstall all my apps.

3 Likes

not sure what could be the issue. I also use a pixel 7 with surfshark always on and no private info is leaked in my situation. However I did replace the google OS with GrapheneOS. Check the phones settings>> network & Internet>> VPN and make sure surfshark is listed, set to always on and in your case set to block connections without vpn. Personally I keep that off just because its not that important to me.

1 Like

Interesting. Glad to hear surfshark works with graphene as I was literally just mulling over switching to it this past week. Thanks for the suggestions. ss is listed but I’m leary of switching to the suggested seeing as I have trouble accessing certain sites and apps when it’s on (usually just toggle off when that happens). Yeah, it’s a head-scratcher. Uninstalling zoom and discord seemed to work, but when I downloaded another app and accessed (Disney cruise app), later that evening my VPN was on but my ip and isp/location was leaking.

Thanks again for the input.

1 Like

I’ve switched back and forth between Graphene and Google about 4 or 5 times. Its a pain because for me at least its about a day off and on of getting everything setup the way I like. But I think im on GrapheneOS this time to stay. I still can use google/playstore items but they all remain sandboxed and do not control the phone and as intrusive as google has become I like it this way, a more tamed playstore but doing that requires some configuration to get what you want all working. In the long run I believe its best for me.

edit…if you have a teenager handy they can probally set it up in a few minutes :joy:

4 Likes

I hear you. Same motivation here for considering the switch. I think I’ll give it a go.

Their website has pretty good info/support. I wouldn’t dream of letting my youngster have access to my phone. I’m terrified of what would end up on there :grin:

1 Like

The graphene website is very good at step by step as well as reverting back. :+1:

1 Like

Same here…endless chats with SS…numerous data dumps to their techs, no luck though. I use a Samsung S7 Phone…Android…8.0.0

ipv6 is the biggest leaker and surfshark and most vpn’s disable that by default. Make sure its not enabled anywhere.

3 Likes

I noticed it a few months ago, it showeed I was connected to Ashburn, VA, but I my own ip address was showing. Has to reconnect several times. I’m done with them, went back to Express VPN

1 Like

Same, same. They’ve been very responsive, but so far no suggested solution has stuck (and I’ve been at it for almost a week now). My firetv cube works great with it (no leaks so far), which is most important. But the fact that it’s so seemingly unpredictable on my phone is worrisome, and might ultimately lead me to another vpn service :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I hear ya. It’s really frustrating and concerning. It’s not like I’m doing anything crazy, but when I’m traveling or whatnot I can’t have this thing flakin out.

1 Like

That function is at least working for me, but while that’s disabled my isp and ip still show (when it randomly decides to leak).

Ah well.

1 Like

I have an iPhone with iOS 16.5 and I have constant problems with the site I’m on freezing, until I change servers which shouldn’t be happening. Some times can’t get on sites til I change. They had me change dns settings, you name it I’ve done it. And then today it did it on my windows 10 pc. I’m emailing with them now. Plus as others my speeds have slowed down​:person_shrugging::person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Can someone please share the sites to see if your info is leaked? This is pretty concerning!!
Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

There are several, but ipleak.net is a good one.

3 Likes

one I also check daily is DNS Leaktest and an ipv6 test. I also check ipleak as posted above every day for anything that looks out of the ordinarry. A vpn should not be allowing ipv6 information.

2 Likes

About the only problem I’m not having is a leak. Knock knock

1 Like

Been running SS a lot on iOS lately as I rotate through the ones I have. No matter which one I run, I check multiple times a day on all those leak tests posted. I as of yet have any leaks with SS nor any other one I use. I also run those tests through a browser on our boxes quite often and knock on wood no issues

3 Likes

yea ive never had a surfshark leak and anytime ive had issues its usually something ive set up wrong or forgot to turn on/off, any number of things.

I also like to use this as well to check for WebRTC leaks

1 Like