Supercharge $19 Walmart onn. Android TV Box Video

Roger that…didn’t know you had one…still curious to know if the link Miki sent works on your ONN like it does on my 2 boxes. :cowboy_hat_face:

It’s the same one I use. The browsers for the ONN block the sites. It’s not the ONN it’s the browsers.

1 Like

Maybe it’s your ISP blocking!!??

1 Like

I guess that is possible also.

1 Like

Just set up my first ONN for personal use. This little box is impressive. Much better than my Mecool KM7 and my Dynalink. Big thumbs up from me.

3 Likes

I also have an ONN and am very pleased with it.

1 Like

I just now got around to following the video to install external storage on one of mine (just bought another one) and it worked like a charm. Thanks @TROYPOINT!

4 Likes

You can get the Silk browser at uptodown.com.

2 Likes

For those of you that use the Onn 4k box from Walmart, and may have even supercharged it using Troy’s video, here is a picture with the covers off. I had this box burn up on me, I noticed right before that it seemed to run hot all the time. Maybe seeing the innards of the box may inspire a few of you tinkerers to want to maybe drill a few holes on each cover, replace the covers and set it on a small fan to help keep it cool. Just a thought…it only takes a gentle nudge from a small, flat screwdriver around the edges to get the covers apart.

DISCLAIMER: Please always be careful opening electronics, as you could easily damage them or hurt yourself.

1 Like

Thank-you AMD…
I’m thinking that you should post this in its own topic.

It goes without saying that you should make sure you ground yourself before handling that printed circuit board :zap:

1 Like

Okay, nobody laugh! :grimacing: :sweat_smile: A lot of work for a $20 box, but amazing how cool it runs now! I put (8) 1/8" holes on the top and bottom covers, so it can “breath”. That fan is plugged into the USB port of the TV, so it goes on and off with the box and TV.

4 Likes

Godd job…?

Hackerman

Good work AMD!

I’m thinking that just drilling some holes in the two covers and either elevating the box above a flat surface with some small feet or perhaps making a stand so that the little box sits vertically OR setting the box on a passive heat sink salvaged from a scraped device would do a world of good…not as your active cooling though.

If you could locate some little spring toy ‘antennas’ to glue on top of the box, you could wow your friends with your new piece of art.

1 Like

That’s awesome. I have an OLD HP laptop that I taped a usb operated fan under the power plug. I run old games like MOH on it, and it will studder and stop without the fan, and runs smoothly with the fan.

1 Like

Awesome, @AMD237 !!! So, I got the fan, and tried to “gently” pry the unit open to drill holes, but its not cooperating! Afraid of being. To aggressive… suggestions???

Use 2 small, flat screwdrivers or thin prying tools. Get one under, and gently walk the other all the way around (underneath that lip) until it pops off.

Using eyeglass screwdrivers…I’ll keep working at it…maybe not holding my toung in the proper cheek…

Haha…the initial prying up of the first part of it is pretty difficult. You may need a little bit more ridgid screwdriver to wiggle it down in.

SUCCESS!!! Thx for a great idea. The onn is our “traveling” device…think I’m gonna work on the km2 home device next. Kudo to you, my friend…now go get your patent :slight_smile:

Glad it worked! Would love to see a picture or video when you get it up and running!

2 Likes