Storage on 4K Max Firestick

It seems like my firestick keeps getting less and less storage.I’ve got a little less than 2 gigs left. I’m going to try the otg usb set up . A bit confused on the formatting.Fat 32 or ex Fat 32 . Which gives me more storage.I don’t have that many apps on my stick . Kodi, TiviMate, Surfshark. The rest is mostly Amazon bs, so I’m not sure where my storage is going.

Kodi is more than likely your biggest storage hog…go into Apps or whatever its called on FS & see how many MBs it eats up…most apps are less than 100MBs…having 2 gigs left is about is good as you can expect. Miki has some tips to get rid of some Amazon bloating & that will also give you more room. :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

When you add the extra storage i recommend usb 3.0 storage device as the 2.0 has speed issues and sometimes causes app errors. With the max firestick it will automatically recognize that memory and ask you if you want to format it. Yes to external storage and it formats to fat 32. After complete you will need to view installed apps and ones that can be moved will show ‘move to external memory’ or usb i believe. Only apps that ask to move them can be done. There are other ways but way more complicated to do. Apps moved will show on settings with a little mark by name. You also have the ability to move them back to internal memory.

2 Likes

You cannot add a USB drive to the Max and use it for both external and internal. If set up for internal you can only put apps on it and it cannot be read by any other device. If formatted for external then you can only use it for recordings. You can’t do both on the max. Not yet.

1 Like

Can I use 2 usb drives 1 for internal storage. Then plug the other one in and use it for external. And if that’s possible does the internal format to Fat 32. And the external to exFat 32.I used that bloatware software that English guy made and has the tutorial on. It seemed like that slowed the stick down. Is there any other way to ditch the bloatware.?
Thanks

3 Likes

You can only use 1 USB Drive at a time and the Firestick FireTV OS is 32 bit not 64. So Fat 32 is your only option with the Max.

2 Likes

Does 1 at at a time mean I can unplug the usb I used for internal storage and then plug a different usb in and use it for external storage like recording from TiviMate.

1 Like

Sorry i read further and found my answer.

1 Like

So if I move kodi to usb storage will I lose my kodi build?

This is where you need to have a look at your USB 3.0 drive’s specs. Not all USBs are created equal. You need the fastest Data transfer as possible. Kodi is a resource intensive app and specifically if a full build, can be quite large. So from a Firestick you have accessed Kodi’s data and then it requires additional code not found on the stick. It must then access the stuff it needs on the USB and retrieve what it needs. The USB then must send info to the stick. So if you want Kodi to run smooth and fast you should keep it on the Stick so that the fastest data transfer is possible. The stick doesn’t exactly have a lot of storage, but keeping secondary apps like cleaners and optimizers on the USB drive may keep your stick’s free space big enough for a full build. Or you could go for a Kodi Fork, a basic and fairly small app, and add things like Mad Titan Sports or other individual addons as needed.

1 Like

Agree Miki, full builds are nice but bulky and most of the add-ons I would imagine just don’t get used and take up space. Use the Fork and install all of the add-ons that you will use consistently, add a skin, authorize RD and you’ll have a much more streamlined, personalized Kodi with space and memory to spare.

2 Likes

Have done exactly what you have said. Customized Amber Skin with just the Crew, Ezra, and Mad Titan. Works good.So maybe put things like background apps refresh prime video troys app installer and stuff like that and Gain a little space.

1 Like

Exactly. Move your Kodi onto the Max and keep things like Analiti or Fast Task Killer on the USB.

Thanks you guys are great

3 Likes

Oh, one quick note, you can’t move Amazon apps, like Prime, onto the USB.

1 Like

Troy talks about moving Netflix with the xplore app. I suppose it’s impossible to move any of Amazons bloatware like Amazon shopping or photos and all that stuff ?

Ya I read another article on moving netflix using X-plore but I don’t have Netflix so can’t honestly say. I may get it and test out if it is possible.

1 Like

Really wish the Debloat tool from TDUK still worked. I still have it on most of my firesticks but I don’t believe it functions anymore the way it was intended. I think Amazon put a nix to that…one of the reasons I have distanced myself a bit to FireOS over the years.

1 Like

There are many sections that still work and I use. Like blocking notifications. This requires a bit of learning and studying up on exactly what the debloat tool is doing. There are protected modules that you can no longer remove from the installed apps list like you use to be able to do. I still have it installed and active on my Max. I figure every little bit helps.

1 Like

I’m doing the same. I do remember Troy saying it would remove data so new sign in is required.

1 Like