So many Unmarked Non english language movie links

Does anyone know how to tell if a link to a movie file is in english before it is opened? I usually have to open and close many links, before I get an english speaking one. I use all the popular 3rd party apps.

1 Like

Not sure what apps your using I don’t get that problem

Different apps have different ways of showing this and many have the option to choose your preferred, and sometimes secondary, language, in the settings. Let us know which apps you’re using and perhaps we could help with links or instructions.

1 Like

The IMDB app and site are excellent to check the language and much more. For me, IMDB helps also with rating, synopsis, actors and where to watch. With thousands of movie and series choices, it’s helpful to find what you like…and don’t like.

1 Like

I think you are referring to getting a list of movies/tv shows and when you select one it ends up being dubbed in another language.

I’ve learned to look at all the little codes in the file listing for clues. For example, I was looking for the show The New Look and selected a link that had the letters RX listed and found it was dubbed in Russian. So now I know to ignore any with that code. But there is no automatic way, in my experience to identify whether something has been dubbed or not or to be able to exclude dubbed content.

There are two things I wish were easier to tell from lists of possible matches:

1. Whether or not it is dubbed in another language.
  2. Whether it has embedded subtitles.

If anyone knows of better ways to determine either of these things, I’d love to hear about it.

2 Likes

In Stremio under settings>Playback>Audio you have the option to choose your language, which applies to sources. So under “Prefered Language” I have “English” and under “Secondary Preferred Language” I have chosen “Not set”. So all my sources only show up that are “English”. Below that I can also choose Preferred Language and Secondary Preferred Language for subtitles. Now on the odd occassion some sources have multiple languages and so in stremio those are noted by a flag depicting the languages available. But that’s rare as my chosen Language is English so that’s all I get.

1 Like

Hey Miki, I was referring to Kodi and I could play around with some of those settings but I was waiting until I upgrade to the new version to do that. Plus there is always the possibility that the content is dubbed but not flagged properly.

But thanks for the reminder that I wanted to do some more testing with that stuff.

The subtitle thing is a whole other issue. But I’ve got a simple way now to download the subtitle files on my laptop and then copy them to my shield. It would just be nice to know at a glance if I had to choose between two files whether one had subtitles embedded so I would pick that to dl.

1 Like

Refer to Jayhawk’s Kodi Setup video…
Go to the “Kodi” category and follow his video. There are a lot of handy tips including setting English as your language for audio and subtitles.

2 Likes

Sorry I didn’t see any referral to Kodi specifically. I was focusing mainly on the OP as he mentioned using several different apps.

Thanks. That’s the way I have been trying to tell the difference, but it’s so time consuming. I use only apks from troypoint for content. I don’t use Kodi etc.

Thanks. I’ll have another look if I can choose a language. I can on my Plex, but can’t choose for individual movies on the other apks.

Thanks for the answer, is there any settings like that for Weyd? I am looking for the closed caption in English.

WEYD: This is where you can configure your subtitles (Settings>Playback>Exoplayer settings>Subtitles).

However, you will need to first play a movie and then click your ok button on your remote to bring up the on-screen menu. Then you can scroll to CC and select the CC you wish. You can also access the CC settings from there, too.

I do not believe Weyd has a setting where you can select a default CC.

2 Likes

Try selecting the Settings (gear icon) and go to Audio Preferences. A lot of movies/shows will have an option for English that you can change to.

1 Like

I usually find the english stuff right at the bottom. Start at the bottom and work your way up.

2 Likes

Correct. I have never seen any movie or episode where I was not able to pick English language

1 Like

Thanks for the advice y’all. Some British series do not have the English CC.

Sorry but aren’t british series already in “English”? If you can PM me the name of your series I’ll check my sources and see if I can find the series with english subs if that’s what ya need.

@Miki I’ll admit that a lot of the British shows I watched they may be speaking English but I have no idea what they are saying. I need to turn on the subtitles. That is certainly the case with a current show I’m watching “Together Treble winners” which is quite good about Man City FC. :grin:

Ahhh man, you are so right. Being born a limey I hear and understand even cockney, I didn’t think about that. Tx for the nudge.