Signal strength and internet speed

I always thought that greater signal strength equals faster speeds from the Internet. On my Nvidia shield, when the signal strength is weaker, The speed is faster, At least, according to the analiti Speedtest. I have fiber one gig Internet, Streaming from an eero router. The signal strengths are from different wi fi channels, Which I have no control over. Thanks for any information I could get about this, Especially if there is a problem with the Speedtest info

Actually you should have control over which channel you are on. Even though I have a modem from my internet provider the access codes and URL are on a sticker on the back and I can acces it from my phone or tablet to make changes within the configuration panel. Don’t forget. The 5Ghz band has better speeds over short unobstructed distances while the 2.4Ghz travels through some walls and barriers more readily. WiFi is easily interfered with. So if within a few feet of the modem an ethernet cable to your streaming device may give you more stable feeds.

5 Likes

@Miki is right on, again! Changing wifi signal channel did more to solve buffering and performance than any other one change I’ve made. Yes, the internet is a highway, but you can change lanes.

According to all reports, the new (available) DOCSIS 3.1 technology promises even better results. One YouTube put it this way: “DOCSIS 3.0 puts out data like a garden hose, DOCSIS 3.1 putts out data like a firehose!” Check it out on YouTube.

1 Like

Some routers and mesh systems also have the 3rd band that is normally used for wireless backhaul. But if you hard wire your nodes together, that frees up that dedicated channel to give you another lane for your higher bandwidth intensive devices. Not sure if it applies to the OP, but that is what popped into my head lol.

3 Likes

Not sure if I should open a topic here so I am going to ask here. Just upgraded to 1GIG speed and new ISP. It does offer tri-band. Question is about NVIDEA SHEILD TV not PRO. Now using ethernet with it I get about 850 mbps speed and when I add SURFSHARK no matter what location I get at most 200 no matter with this ISP or the older other and less BANDWIDTH before. I am trying to eliminate the culprit. So I am wondering if a FACTORY RESET and then start over would do the trick. Also could SMART TUBE be slowing everything down? Yes I have closed all background apps and and…Any thoughts or recommendations?

My router does not have any access codes, and I actually spoke to eero And was told I cannot change the channels myself. When doing a restart, the channels will sometimes change. But my real question is why is the speed faster when the signal is weaker ? No one has answered that for me. Thank you.

A triple band router should provide enough connections and bandwidth for the average consumer. I have a Netgear 3.0 Docsys modum and separate Netgear wireless router with one 2.4 and two 5 gb bands that both provide plenty of wireless signal strength throughout my home, which is on 2 stories. That said, if you can do it, going with Cat 6 or higher Wired LAN cable from your modum is the way to go. I still get over 200 mbs down/30 mbs upload speeds while using my vpn while streaming, which is plenty.

1 Like

All speed test use different locations to test and can give very different results. Internet is not a constant but rather fluctuates considerably. Try different locations for test as well as other services.

https://speedtest.xfinity.com/

2 Likes

200 with SS is a great speed and honestly you don’t even need 1/4 of that for streaming. Like I tell my neighbors who say they have 1 gb Fibre, I say, what are you going to do, watch a movie faster?

1 Like

That’s great! Laughing fully. With the new network I had to find where in the Nvidea to set usage to 5G but what I wanted to do was get the Nvidea to use WIFI 6. I have a entire group of thieves hacking into my network and my Surfshark account etc. It is to slow those thieves down. Trying to create hurdles on my Olympic marathon to stop very bad actors. Also when looking on the internet ethernet connection it says it can get up to 1000. I get without Surfshark on Nvidea 850 so Surfshark takes it down to 200. Smelling a catfish somewhere.

Time to change your pw on SS. Your home network should be encrypted so I’m not sure unless you gave out your passwords how they are in there.
Regarding the speed? Sure, your connection is capable of giving you that speed but it ends there. Maybe a speed test from your ISP will show you that but you’re limited to what the servers will give you so that speed is of no consequence. I would seriously change some passwords if you believe people are into your home and VPN ** Footnote if they are on your network, they don’t need your VPN password, it’s already running.

This 200 Mbs or so drop is going to occur with just about any VPN you use. Some are more than other VPN’s, some are less. I use SurfShark and I get the exact same results as you. I test without Surfshark on my 1`GB Local ISP, and I get 990Mbps down & about 980Mbps Up.
When I test using SS VPN all locations test below 1GB but all locations test above 200MbpsDown, & 50MbpsUp. More than enough for streaming on many devices.

I have Proton VPN on all my devices and do not lose any speed what so ever. As a matter of fact I actually get slightly faster speeds with the VPN on.

1 Like

How long have you used Proton? I know there is a free version as well but I don’t know what deficiencies it has. Proton is quite expensive compared to the SS’s and IPvanish of this world. I should test drive a free version. I still have lots of time on my SS.

I know I am late to the party but I believe the the signal strength relates to the strength of the wi-fi and nothing to do with the internet speed. The reason I say that is I just changed over from a very very slow satellite internet provider . Speeds common at less than one mb per second. Even with those slow speeds I had a good signal strength with my router. My signal strength didn’t change when I connected with almost gb speed.

I’ve had it for 2 yrs and I’m reupping for another 2 years. 10 devices, VPN with brick and morter servers wholly owned by Proton, password manager, encrypted mail with aliases, cloud storage and on and on. $200. About $8/mth but well worth it IMHO.

Not sure who told you tha WiFi signal strength had anything to do with your service speed.

I may be mixing apples and oranges but with the title Signal strength and internet speed that was what I came up with. What other signal strength would it be? I am with you Miki, I never thought one had anything to do with other.

They are two different things. WiFi signal strength has more to do with good quality tech like antennas, but aren’t reliant on internet speeds that I’m aware of, but I’ve been known to be wrong on occasion as well.

This is the reason why I originally posted this topic