Should I or shouldn't I?

I have a 2015 shield, and a 2019 shield pro that I found on craigslist for 120 beans! I grabbed it quick!

The only thing I wish the shield had was a better remote. I have the rx keyboard which is good for typing in text, but I wish it had a full remote for typing in channels, scrolling, favorites, and such

Maybe the solution would be to get a generic bluetooth remote and to try to remap the buttons

Download the Nvidia remote App. It’s GREAT!. Imo, the mouse is a much better choice than the Mouse Toggle. The Nvidia app gives multiple choices on how you want to interact with your device. The keyboard is your phones keyboard and very responsive. You can access anything from the remote app, and you can even use it to locate your real remote when it goes MIA!

FYI, it’s a free app

1 Like

I like the newer triangle shaped remote, and I did remap the Netflix button to activate my primary IPTV service. I believe they sell for $30 each. I picked up 2 of them back when they first came out to replace the 2015 and 2017 model remotes.

Thanks…I have this on my newer shield, but not on my 2015 model. I see if I can find it online.

Don’t forget to checkout the Nvidia Remote App. I am certain you will like it!

Will do…What was really cool is I just got the remote you showed along with a silicone jacket for it, free to me by using the amazon points I have accumulated!

Cool! Let me know how you like the jacket :partying_face:

As an example, the google store app selection for Android TV is more limited than it is for an open android os. If you have an open android box in addition to your Nvidia Shield, you can compare and see that the availability and selection of apps for the Shield is more limited.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Hardly something I’m going to base my decisions on.

Give an example of what you can get from Google Play that is not offered on my Google Play.

Also, could you post the app that you say a Nvidia can’t download

1 Like

Myself , I’m not convinced by the new FS max. Got 4 FS4K’s and as long as I keep them “maintained”, my money is still on the 4K. But my favorite is my Fire TV Cube. Ots the best !!!

I’m dying to get my hands on the Max. Lots of rumours regarding the coding as well as better cpu and gpu. My 4k has never let me down. The small increase in RAM will also be helpful.

You’re right bout those upgrades. And if you add storage to it , should be a great device. But for now ,I’ll stick w/ my 4k’s. They all got added storage, n they work great,

I don’t actually need storage. I never use a 4K in any way that requires storage. If I did then I would certainly consider the Shield as from what I’ve read here it’s the best. So the improvements in the Max will be a 4K improvement imho. Now if I could only get one.

Bearing in mind that the 2nd gen fire tv had 4k, and SD port, and ethernet and USB port and2gb RAm(in 2015) I dont think any FS compares to that.

Umm it isn’t meant to. The only reason that this comes up now is because ppl have learned ways to do these things using a Firestick as a “part” of a system. If ppl want the things you want, they don’t buy a firestick. Sort of like buying a VW Beetle to transport 30 ppl and then finding out that’s what a bus is for.

I think the point I was tring to make Miki was that the fire tv had all that 6 years ago and even the latest FS does not match. Its like Ford releasing a car with lots of specification in 2015 and since then none of their models had all the specs -just would not happen. But Amazon have done just that!

Ahhh ok I get your point. And yes it still can’t do the things you could in 2015. But again using the car analogy, a car is designed with a frame only capable of handling a 4 cylinder. So even though you can do lots of things to modify that car it can still only use a 4 cylinder engine. The FS was designed to be cheap and the specs were kept low due to financial consideration because of that. FF to 2018 and the 4K firestick does have ethernet adapters, 4K streaming, faster quad core cpu, Ram, and on and on even expanded memory using otg cable. Now for the Max. I’m looking forward to testing it’s advances.

I used the Troypoint tut on my mecool box and it worked the same. I keep only required apps and tivimate on the internal drive and moved everything else to a 1tb usb.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.