Should I or shouldn't I?

Forget any Fire TV device or Nvidia Shield. Your best bet is to buy a rooted android 9.0 box with 4gbs of RAM and 32 gbs of internal memory with good cooling vents and external antenna. You can purchase them for quite a bit less than Nvidia Shield. For reviews so you can decide what to get go to TV Box Stop or Chigz Reviews websites.

Be careful with the km2 please. If you want, as I did, for the remote to turn your TV and one other device on, like a soundbar it isn’t going to happen. If you want to stream stuff off the internet with a web browser like Silk, it isn’t going to happen. My KM2 sits in my junk electronic drawer where it belongs.

whats a km2? Never heard of that make

sim_bill I did look at the sites and on both of them the shield comes out as the best one. May I ask why I external antennas. I have 900 Mb internet so can connect ethernet cable to my fire tv… not to my fire stick… oh and adding usb storage to not get option to move some of apps to the SD card, soo annoying, but my fire tv is great

You should check out Troypoint’s new tutorial on how to move apps to an external storage. His neat little trick is interesting. How to Expand Internal Storage on New Firesticks & Fire TV Cube - Move ALL Applications to USB Drive - YouTube

I don’t use FS, or any Fire product, but I bet I can use a his procedure to accomplish this on my Shields.

1 Like

Powerfader… when installing apps like CnemaHD on the Shield…do you use Downloader?

It’s the same process

1 Like

black friday coming so will wait until then

The first place I check Troypoint’s RAI, because it is a trusted site. If I can’t find it there then I use Downloader.

The Shield has only 16 gbs of internal memory. With 32 gbs you don’t need to add a flash drive in most cases unless you are using a ton of apps or data. The selectivity and flexibility for apps on the Shield is also more limited with the android tv os. I also prefer a box with a root switch. If you have a handy Ethernet port connection to your tv box, that’s great. Most folks will run theirs off the wi-fi. I just find the reception and signal is stronger on boxes with the external antenna.

What app cannot be installed on a Nvidia?

1 Like

I y
Thought the RAI no longer being updated???

My RAI version is 5.0.0 Idk if this is the latest or most current version.

Where would you have read that?

Unless you are storing recordings 16gb is plenty. I have a ton of apps on my 2019 Shield and I still have about 12gb left on the internal storage. I haven’t used that one for recordings yet. My 2015 & 2017 came with over 500gb so I don’t need any extra storage. Besides, if you are going to store recordings then a 32gb of storage is not good enough, and if you aren’t storing recordings then 32 is fine, but so is 16.

I still would like to know what app you have encountered that can’t be installed on a Shield. As far as external antenna vs internal antenna it really depends on how and where you locate you equipment. Two of my shield s are ethernet connected. The 2019 Shield is wifi. I have not experienced any connectivity issue with any of them ever.

But to each their own. I prefer the tried and proven Sheild. Which is rated by the pundits as best in field year after year, and they have the data to back it up.

1 Like

This…

I have a Network Attached Storage (NAS) in my home office. All of my shields access it and store recordings in the same directory. As a result, any thing recorded can be watched from any tv/device on the network

I understand that, I use Plex server. I was responding to another poster about his claim of limited amount of memory in a Sheild Pro vs his android box. I stated that unless you are recording then 16 gb is more than enough for most users.

This person doesn’t seem to like Nvidia products. :man_shrugging:

I understood that and was quoting you to provide my support for what you said! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the support. I don’t have any problem with any device someone uses. That’s their choice to make. For the very reason of how you store recordings is a good example of why Nvidia decided to lessen their internal storage capabilities. If you don’t store recordings. Then 16gb is more than enough. If you are going to record there are many options to be able to do so. Your way is one of them and is becoming more and more of the mainstay in setting up recordings in a household. This guys 32gb box does not have enough storage to be able to accomplish storing very many recordings. Therefore he will need to do as you did, or he will need to add some external storage for his device.

Personally, I like the solid construction of the Nvidia’s. My 2015 model has never caused me concern and has been running on the same TV since 2015 (that’s almost 7 years now) without even a blip! Meanwhile all these people purchasing the NEW & IMPROVED Fire stuff or whatever device that wants to dethrone the Nvidia most likely have spent more money and time replacing their products every year!

lol that is so true Powerfader… even though my fire tv i still running, its been a nit on and off… have bought two other fire sticks… which i ended up not using as the 2015 fire tv is better lol I will keep one fire stick as its a nice size to take on holiday!

1 Like