Router Recommendations

Here’s a modem that meets your needs.

the router will depend if you want a vpn or not.

I have Surfshark…because it was recommended here at Troypoint.
Never had a problem until I moved about 2 weeks ago. Then I had to use Comcast/xFinity. IPv6 does not work with it. I have another 13 months left on the subscription. I am looking for a modem and a router. or a combo.
Thanks for the link.
Got a router preference? You mentioned Asus…Do you have a model you prefer?

(I have a 150 Mbps travel router would prefer not to use. I have it in order to use my FS in hotels. It is the quickest way to get past captive portals)

I use the ax86u model. There are several others that will work. I also run a 3rd party firmware called merlin.

1 Like

Merlin?
I am intrigued.
What does that firmware do that the stock setup will not?

just a pref, it (to me) is a better layout and easy vpn setup, however I here the stock is looking good now days and I will check it out when I move soon.

I have been overwhelmed by this move into a new apartment. I downscaled by almost half the size to be closer to my kids in college.

I just looked at the price and specs. Top notch gear!!!

I am thinking a bit less.
Do you have any thoughts on the other Motorola modems list in that that are combo routers too?
It has been so long since I have had to configure a modem…literally 14 years.
I do not want to get something that is over my confidence level. I do want to keep comcast from snooping though…
Thank you.

Look at the Arris combos, always one of my favs. Heres one that is DOCSIS 3.1 <<<better than 3.0. Its a little bit more in price but it is a combo.

best combo router modem

I checked out the Merlin firmware.
That is a impressive UI and ease of use stuff.
I had no idea.
Thanks

1 Like