Router Recommendations

I like the new Synology RT6600ax.

2 Likes

not if its not supplied to you. Most ispā€™s have upped upload speeds in recent years. Its my belief that better upload speeds does affect streaming.imho

1 Like

WiFi 6 is one of the latest WiFi protocols and provides speeds many times faster than your old WiFi. Then thereā€™s WiFi 6E and thatā€™ up to warp speed. So if you can get a WiFi 6 router and your IP supports it, Iā€™d certainly go for it. Less lag and latency, not just killer speeds.

2 Likes

Thankā€™s i thought Centurylink is the problem. The community was wired with Fiber in 2016 from Centurylink. They have terrible responseā€™s to problemā€™s. A lot of people in the Community have been complaining about them ever since we moved here in 2017.

Thank you i will do just that.

If you got fiber it should be plenty good speed and options. Yes, Century Link is the worst but all you need is there feed and 100mbp connection or better That should be the basic plan.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Okay everyone it is help time again. I have a two story home with a garage (utility room between with a firewall.) One each floor and upstairs garage will be at least one computer and one large screen tv. At this point I have a MeCool 6 which I believe is 6e, two of the three TVā€™s probably arenā€™t even 6 (not sure) and I donā€™t know if the desktops need to be upgraded for 6/6e or not. That is how prepared I still am.
Soā€¦ Router - the plan is Mesh. Do I need dual band or triband and do I go 6 or 6e? All suggestions and recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

I failed to mention internet speed is advertised as 1gb each way.

Mesh systems are great. The wifi6 vs 6e is going to be your call about investing now or investing later. Almost nothing is wifi6e yet, but will likely be the standard in the future. Or it could go to wifi7 and somewhat skip the 6e, but it is hard to say right now. I would do as much research in both standards as you can, and make the best decision for you financially. I love my Asus mesh router system, but it is only wifi6. Still, it works great!

1 Like

Netgear used router for $40 with USB 3 and SMB 2 with the READYSHARE network file sharing app built in.

The Arris brand is probably the best modem out there. Just make sure it has DOCSIS 3.0 (or 3.1 if your service area has fiber optic cable). If your modem has built in wi-fi, be sure to place it either on a table or shelf up off the floor to get the best signal strength. If you canā€™t get your modum off the floor due to cable length, Iā€™d suggest a separate Wi-Fi router. As far as internet service, you should get at least 150 mbs download and 20 mbs upload speeds at a minimum as your vpn will cut those speeds roughly in half. Ideally, the best way to go is a direct 6.0 CAT or better LAN cable from your modem to your streaming device.

WAITā€¦but but butā€¦WIFI-7 :joy:

1 Like

The modem is provided by the utility company and is placed on an exterior wall. Then the business I will pay thru does the set up as far as wiring to where the main router is placed. I am just trying to decide on the best mesh router to use and whether it should be 6 or 6e. Thanks

Most internet service providers will allow you to opt out of using (and paying a monthly lease amount) on their modum/routers as long as the modum you choose meets their performance specs. You may want to check that out. Personally, I have found I can get a higher performance modum and router on my own than what my internet service provider provides. Without a monthly lease charge, this pays for itself over time.

Thanks Bill. I wonā€™t be paying for a modem fee it is part of the installation itself. I am doing my due diligence though with the router(s).

I know this is a old thread/topic but I could use some help.
I have Comcast/xFinity. That is all that is available in my city. I cannot deal with IPv6 built into their Modem/Router combo unit.
I need to buy something under $200. Less is better. I would like to block some ports in order to keep Comcast from sniffing around.
Any suggestions? Amazon links are highly appreciated. I have to order something by this coming Tuesday. I have a time limited gift certificated given to me by the DAV. Thank You all that replyā€¦

Do you want a combo unit? modem+roter all in oneā€¦or seperate units? Most devices will say on the box if its compatible with xfinity. I also have xfinity and use motorolla modem with an asus router.

I would consider using 2 separate units. I have 300 DL/20 UP.
I do not plan on going up to 1 GB for many many many yearsā€¦if ever.

Thanks for helping TXRonā€¦