Recording from TiviMate to an external drive via X-plore on a Fire TV Cube

Me again. This topic should be listed under “EX File Explorer File Manage ate my USB drive Part II". I thought everything was resolved, but I realized today, it was not. Because a more accurate description would now be recording from TiviMate to an external drive via X-plore on a Fire TV Cube, this is the new topic name.

The following the video link below is old I believe, which may be relevant. This is Troy’s video for now to use X-plore to record from TiviMate:

1. Troy’s example shows an ANDROID icon that looks like external storage (See 1)

1. My X-plore (see a) doesn’t look like a storage icon. It looks like a folder. Not sure if this is an important difference or just a newer X-plore than Troy used in his video.

1. Next Troy clicks on the Android icon and what is revealed (See 2) is not what I see when I click on mine X-plore (See b).

1. Troy then clicks on the Android folder and now it looks like mine in b above (note I am troubleshooting a problem so the fact that my pics show a TiviMate folder sooner than in Troy’s video is because I did this yesterday after watching the full video and thinking I had followed everything correctly.
    1. Troy then clicks on the Android file and goes through a couple of steps to get a TIVIMATE folder. I am going to assume even though I got here a little differently from Troy’s video, I ultimately accomplished the same thing. Correct me if I am wrong.
    1. Now Troy exits the file manager. And opens TiviMate. See 3.

1. In Tivimate Troy goes to >settings, >other, >recording and rests on recording folder. The link in Troy’s recording folder [/storage/emulated/0/TiviMate/Recordings] is pointed to his 4K stick’s INTERNAL storage.

1. In pic. c, my folder reads /storage/emulated/0/Android/TiviMate which I thought was my EXTERNAL storage, but given that it is almost identical to Troy’s, I am apparently recording to INTERNAL storage. And this is why I am asking for help because I recorded this morning and the storage on my Fire TV Cube lost storage, confirming I am not recording to my EXTERNAL storage as I had hoped.

1. Troy clicks on the link for his recordings folder [storage/emulated/0/TiviMate/Recordings], then he clicks on >select folder and what he sees on his screen is different from mine. His shows different looking icons for internal shared storage and android.
    1. Troy then clicks on his android icon, then he sees an android folder, like I have.
    1. He clicks on his android folder, then TiviMate and then select and then CRITICALLY another box opens for him asking for “allow” which he clicks on (See 6)

1. I can click on my android icon then my Tivimate folder then select but I never get that pop up box asking for allow?
    1. Troy’s folder path now reads /storage/1619-3A1B/Android/TIVIMATE see 5

1. My folder path has not changed.

The question is, why don’t I get the special pop up box asking me to “allow” so that my recording address will change? It can’t be that my IPTV doesn’t allow recording because I have no trouble recording to my Cube directly. I just can’t do that anymore because bloatware has shrunk my storage space significantly.

I sure hope this computer snips and iPhone jpegs come through once I hit Create a topic.

1 Like

Oh and also, X-plore is on my external sandisk. The show I recorded is listed under X-plore on my external sandisk, however, it is clearly saved on my cube storage.

1 Like

Try setting a new download location. Maybe in the video folder or like I do in the download folder and create a new folder and name it videos or whatever. Not sure if I see this correct but you cant download to root folder unless the box is rooted.

I opened “Root”, in X-plore and it said, your device seems not to be rooted. So it looks like you are right, my box is not rooted. That was not in Troy’s video. Is this something I can search for to find out how to root my device?

not needed to record and rooting voids waranty and can be a hassel. Basically you would place xplore on the internal drive. Insert external drive and then open xplore and see your external drive, then either create a folder or use one there. Make sure you are in the external drive and not your internal<<< very important. They will be listed next to each other.

1 Like

I moved xplore to my internal drive.

How would I insert my cube’s external drive? Is this done within explore? Sorry I don’t know how to do this.

when you plug in the external is it seen on the box in settings?

Yes. If I open my fire tv, and move to “USB Drive” the external space is shown to the right. 123 GB of 124 GB available.

if you see it in xplore all you need to do is direct tivimate to a folder to record

1 Like

sounds like you reeeeeeeally need troypoints video :eyes:

I misunderstood. I can see my external on my cube. You mean, can I see my external when xplore is open. Lots of stuff in xplore, I will see if I can find it. If I can, then I think I know how to direct tivimate.

main thing you need to see the difference in internal and external. Its all right there in xplore. Once you can tell the difference then you will know how to route it to the drive

In xplore, under the Download folder, there are 2 more folder and an icon that looks like it might represent a thumb drive (external). Opening that Download folder shows a Tivimate folder and below that recordings. And also Syncler (which is on my internal drive.

Under the Downloader file which has 2 icons looking like a thumb drive. Opening it I find the Troypoint app. As I know I have that on my external drive. this might be where to link tivimate to my external drive.

The problem is when I try to select either folder (Download or Downloader) I do not get the pop up box and the link where Tivimate will record remains on my internal drive. It never changes. So either something is wrong at that level. Or is it possible that neither of these folders are external.

1 Like

yep, you are looking at the internal drive. When you go into settings>> device prefs>>>storage Do you see both internal and external drives?

1 Like

Settings >> device pref>>storage. I am looking for this under MyFireTV–because I don’t see device pref once I open settings.

If you mean within TiviMate, I open settings and there is nothing called device preference.

If you mean within xplore. I don’t see anything called settings. There is a couple of gear icons that ae called “Show” but if I click on that I don’t see anything that says device prefs.

1 Like

no I mean settings on the fire device. Im trying to see id the cube is even seeing the external because its possible the storage is not formatted and if thats the case it will not show or it will show up as not connected. We need another firestick person because I might be leading you somewhere the cube doesnt have.

Gotcha. I do believe my cube does see my external drive because under installed apps, the ones on the external drive have a thumb drive icon beside it. Also under MYFireTV, the USB Drive is listed there. It comes up as external space. I did format it to F32. Should I click on Format to External Storage again? I do believe I did this when I first added the sandisk.

if you can format it as ntfs

1 Like

Ok I never heard of that. I’ll have to remove from the tv and figure out how to do this on my Mac. I’ll have to get back to you on this, because this will take me a bit. I had thought the Sandisk had to be formatted as Fat32.

fat32 is restrictive on size of files, ntfs is better for video etc

1 Like