Recording from TiviMate to an external drive via X-plore on a Fire TV Cube

Yes, that is why I wasn’t too happy to record to my sandisk. But if I can use NTFS and it is not limited, that will make a big difference. Thanks for your help. I’ll get back to you tomorrow. My brain is fried, I need to start fresh tomorrow.

no prob, take your time. This is all much easier than it seems. Once you figure it out then you will be all set and ready

1 Like

Startpage Search Results

FireTV OS only recognizes the Fat32, it won’t see or read ntfs.

3 Likes

ty Miki. Im lost with fire stuff. And is fat32 restrictive on fire?

1 Like

Not sure what you mean by restrictive. I don’t record but have heard of a size limit per recording of 5GB but can’t confirm it. Guess it’s time to reformat my Sandisk from “internal” storage (apps) to “external” (recordings). Not even sure I can make it “mixed” . Sorry, just never tried it.

1 Like

yea fat32 is limited

2 Likes

:red_circle:AMAZING ACCESS NTFS DRIVES ON FIRESTICK (GAME CHANGER) - YouTube

1 Like

Wow tx Ron. :+1 this looks interesting

3 Likes

Agreed (re: @TXRon video). I am going to try and format a Sandisk to NTFS on my Mac. If I can get past that hurdle, I will then get back to using Xpore to record on my Sandisk. I am assuming that the Firestick 4K is pretty similar to the older Fire TV cube. If not, I have a Firestick 4K in the living room. Here goes nothing!

1 Like

Excellent video. But this only allows you to play files already recorded to an ntfs drive, I don’t think you can record to that same drive using fireTV OS. A shame TDUK didn’t address that in his vid as that would be the ultimate.

true, he never says if you can record to that drive but only shows you can play from the drive.

Ya but that’s huge. Just don’t like installing kodi but he does show you can choose anything to play it. That to could have been more informative. lol. More questions

according to this page (2019) firesticks need a custom kernal in order to do this. Not sure if anything has changed but if not that would mean rooting the device.

[Magisk][Module] Amazon FireTV4k NTFS/F2FS/EXT4/exFAT OTG support | XDA Forums

Ya I read that, but it is far from easy and requires special skills and learning. With this you can easily brick your stick.
Unfortunately the entire FireTV OS is Fat32 so we’re stuck with it. I’ve been reading up on “screen capture” but still no “easy” way.

correct, I wouldnt recomend this to anyone unless they know what they are doing.

1 Like

Oh there’s an easy way, but to say it would be blasphemous. Shhh not to loud now>>>>switch to an AndroidTV OS. OMG I gotta go wash my mouth out now. :toothbrush:

2 Likes

Well that certainly excludes me (someone who knows what they are doing!)

I thought I could reformat my SanDisk to NTFS. The “free” software I downloaded was SURPRISE, not free. So I purchased a “refundable” 1 year membership. Once downloaded, I learned it won’t work with my MacBook Pro Monterey v-12.5 because of the new M1 chip. Then there was a FAST TALKING video from iBoysoft for how to force my Mac to allow me to install the needed extension to run the iBoysoft software on a Mac. But that got really scary, including several hard reboots and holding down that key multiple times, in the process. Hopefully, iBoysoft will refund my software purchase.

It sounds like, I won’t be able to record to a NTFS drive anyway and that I needed to re-learn something that I forgot. That is, if I am successful to get Xplore to send TiviMate recordings to external storage, I will likely be even more limited to recording space than I am when recording directly to the Cube. A benefit of the 12.99 GB Cube storage. I’ve never been successful at recording to an external drive to verify.

The factory reset I performed Saturday cleared up a bunch of space back on my Cube. And I learned from the two of you that I should move frequently used APKs and IPTV to my internal storage.

In sum, it looks like the best course of action for me is to return to recording the very few shows I record, to my Cube’s iinternal storage. Pay attention to clean caches regularly so bits of junk doesn’t slowly eat up internal storage which cause my original crisis of critical storage.

If I ever need to start recording more than I do now, it will be time to purchase a different device like a Shield or MeCool. I tied up a lot of everyone’s time. I apologize and I thank you both.

Hey no need to apolgize to us. I just love your let’s do it attitude, full steam ahead. You can record to a usb drive formatted to Fat32 external, but no files bigger than 4GBs. So any vids you must choose ones compressed to less than 4GB. I’ve learned new stuff thanks to your questions and to TXRon. So it’s a good day. I do know mixing Mac iOS and Android isn’t an easy proposition at the best of times.

2 Likes

yep, we live and learn. Personally im against a box I purchased from limiting what I can do with it. I pay, I play :joy:. You will love the mecool boxes because they are not into blocking a user from modifying their box. The only limitations are with android system and some vendors tend to work better with android than others. Nvidea is very good at android systems and to a lesser extent mecool but they are pretty good. Whenever I get asked which box would I get, I most often will say mecool because they just play nice. Amazon has built upon the android system but have choosen to veer away as much as possible from original intent and made a product they can lock down and prevent customization…every update is creeping that way.

1 Like