Recommendations for a first timer

Not sure which issue you are referring to. Amazon and google are almost the same style of home screen, and I don’t care about that at all. I’m never sitting there staring at the home screen. Straight into TiVi or Stremio or if doing maintenance settings or apps. No problems at all.

1 Like

Yup people are all over the place with what they like. for me it starts with having to be Stock Android then I go from there

2 Likes

You did mention this.

1 Like

I was mostly thinking Android tv would be formatted for TV. Making everything just a little easier to use. Fit the screen better as it was designed for this. Maybe I am over thinking that too much. I have Android phones. Roku tvs, and Amazon apps. They really are all very similar. It’s sounds like a rabbit hole. I think I’ll make a list all the great suggestions on here, watch some reviews and pull the trigger and just be content.

1 Like

Yes. But how does that equate to an issue? It doesn’t even move the needle towards a concern. Just a statement of fact.

1 Like

Let us know what you decide to do. Come back with any more questions.

1 Like

I thought you didn’t much care for the layout and was simply reminding you of an alternative…nothing more.

I voted 1 week for conversion :joy:

1 Like

Oh no. Sorry for any misunderstanding. It isn’t the androidTV layout, it’s the Stemio GUI on AndroidTV I don’t like. “The APP layout”

I too don’t like the “new” layout of Stremio for Android TV. Only Fire OS has the old layout, at least that I know of. Wish Android still had that same look as it was easier to scroll through and make selections.
There are some real improvements in Android version 1.5.7 for choosing the add on, closed caption operation and remembering your preferred add on playback, especially when viewing a series. Really Good Stiff!
Hope Stremio continues the improvements but reverts to the original home screens

2 Likes

Pardon my ignorance. Looks like IPTV is live TV? Is there services that are more like apps? For example now if I want to watch discovery channel I click the app on my Roku and pick the show I want. I’m not sure live TV will work for my schedule. Kids sports s hedules are crazy. Most of the tv I watch is after the kids go to bed. Would be nice to be able to scroll through and pick what I want to watch and a specific episode if it’s a TV show.

1 Like

Any VOD (video on demand) app will do this. Some IPTV services also have a VOD section, but not all. 10+ Best APKs For Free Movies, Shows, & TV in March 2023

3 Likes

@JAB34 Yes IPTV means Internet Provided TV. Fubo, Sling etc. are examples of “verified” IPTV plus there are hundreds of unverified IPTV providers. Patrons Only section of this site has many discussions on this under the IPTV subject. Consider joining us!
Your Roku has you more than half way home. If you are using Roku TV, just purchase an Android TV streaming device. If you have a Roku streaming device just buy an Android streaming device, an extra HDMI cord and a HDMI switcher ( not splitter ). Because Roku has all things verified and legal, you don’t need Google/Netflix certified. Ugoos and Buzz are popular here. Don’t worry, there is lots of help on this site and it’s fun to stream. The good news is you don’t need to spend a lot of money to have it all.
Become a Patron and join the fun!

3 Likes

I imagine it will all be a bit more clean once I actually purchase the box. I’ll do my part and get the box. Follow up once I have everything set up. Thanks again to everyone. I appreciate you all taking the time to make recommendations and educate me.

1 Like

Apps such a Syncler+, Stremio, ect have tons of stuff to watch. If you have a Samsung sart tv they have their own app installed on them and it is pretty good. Apps like Sling, Plex, Tubi, are fairly decent for casual viewing. If you want specifics then you will need to do your due diligence and research the myriad of iptv providers and see what suits you best. Start out by getting as many free trials as you can and see what’s best for you.

1 Like

Thanks to all. Really appreciate all of the great information.

1 Like

Get directv, you hit one button and Records all. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face::crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::money_mouth_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::cold_face::cold_face::hot_face::sneezing_face::sneezing_face::hot_face:

1 Like

Hi there. In addition to BuzzTV, you might want to look at the Ugoos AM6 B Plus and UT-7 & 8. Good quality boxes running stock (open) android so you can download pretty much any apps you like. Not cheap but they last.

1 Like

I have the Nvidia box. Wouldn’t trade for anything else.

2 Likes

Hi all,
Wanted to thank everyone for all of the advise and recommendations. Took me a while to pull the trigger. I ended up with a Buzztv u5. So far it works great. I think I’ll really like the ability to use the u5 to record programs. Once I figure that out. Still figuring out how to navigate and find programs or packages I’d like to use. I think the IPTV direction is where im headed. I enjoy sporting events. Unfortunately in my area we don’t seem to ever get the games I’m interested in watching. Id like to hopefully figure out how to watch whatever game i like. I followed troys app guide which helped me with a few great movie apps. So I have that covered. There is sooo much to sort through. Please feel free to shoot me recommendations for good sports apps(apologies I can’t remember what all the terminology is) to install.