Recommendations for a first timer

The shield is fine with the specs it has. I do find kodi slow with heavy build on it. But i didnt buy it just for kodi. Lots of other apps available.

2 Likes

its the best box out there i didnt like issues had with updates i have 2017 model it was my main box till we shifted to the mtns of north carolina — the nvidia is still in our fla home my son uses it since we at one time did vac rentals at our cabin i had installed cubes which i still use

at some point i will return to a shield but since i dont game i mainly use iptv the cube is great
large kodi builds run about the same either on the shield or cube if you are going to use kodi you have to be patient and willing to suffer thru the updates when loginng in i like kodi and use it a lot a lot of the iptv stuff has vod and that is really easy to use

2 Likes

I would start out on a 4K Max on sale Best Buy $35 and learn from there! :sunglasses::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Haha! Yes, the kids will probably figure this out long before I will. Sounds like tivimate is a top recommendation for IPTV.

4 Likes

I do remember Kodi from years past. I will definitely be wanting the Kodi service installed. I never could get Kodi to work properly on the box I had. It took forever to open and the picture was rarely worth watching. I am assuming with the newer boxes this is much better.

1 Like

I prefer to run kodi on its own cheap box…good specs tho. Kodi is a resource hog and I find it runs best all by itself. Keep the main streamer with your fav goto apps etc. Recomended are tivimate with a few apks added for movies if needed(stremio).

5 Likes

tivimate is a software to run iptv with you have to supply the info to make it have something to run

2 Likes

diggs zenon i think in unlinked 12341234 there is a preloaded fork for diggs that works well

1 Like

Ahhhh, no! :sunglasses::sunglasses:

20 characters

2 Likes

X88 pro works great for me

1 Like

Apparently I respond too often. Being a noob limited the number of of time I get to post. Had to wait 7 hours to respond. Thank you. This is exactly the type of response I was looking for. Direct to the point. I don’t care about name brand. Just want an option that has plenty of power, is reliable, and works well with all of the different apps. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I am intrigued by the x96. And also the buzz u5. Both seem to have great specs. As I read more I think I would be best suited leaning towards a unit that has Android TV vs Android mobile operating system.

2 Likes

Anyone spent any time with the buzz tv u5? How does it stack up against others? Seems to have great specs. Record feature is super cool. I don’t fully understand the remote. Or optional remote purchased separately.

The buzz tv u5 here in uk is £179.99 compared to shield tv pro £189.00. I would deffo go with the shield if spending that much money on a box.
Nvidia is a big company and is really good at providing updates for their devices, im sure they are still supporting the 2015 shield.
Nowadays i always like to get devices that are going to receive some support with updates etc.
Im waiting for the firetv cube 3 to come down in price and will buy one of those, even tho i have numerous other boxes lol.

1 Like

Seems as though preference is very different across the board. I am going to watch a few video reviews to see if any of the different systems catch my eye, or seem more friendly to use and Have a good remote. Lots of storage, fast speeds so I’m not left wanting more later. And I’m leaning to the Android TV operating System.

1 Like

I personally prefer the FireTV OS compared to AndroidTV. I suspect it’s a matter of becoming comfortable with the differences and then learning how to configure things to your liking. I find app layout on FireTV is easier to use, Visually simpler, and for me more user friendly. I’ve used both a KM2 and Shield Pro now with AndroidTV, and 4k Max for FireTV.
Devices are becoming more powerfull every month it seems, and you will find many that will fit within your budget. Go for the best specs you can afford.

1 Like

Fire tv stick 4K max…nvidea shield.pro…my suggestions…

3 Likes

if you want simple but powerful, easy to use…look at ugoos products

2 Likes

Wolf or Projectivy Launcher will solve that issue for you.

2 Likes

agree as much as I like the shield, I could care less about the home screen. Projectivy fixes that right up for me…on every box except a few with wolf :+1:

2 Likes

I like both and have both on my Shield. I like Projectivy’s simplicity but liking the creative aspect of Wolf.