PSA: You Should Be Using a Smart Plug to Restart Your Router

PSA: You Should Be Using a Smart Plug to Restart Your Router

10 Likes

I was just thinking this for my modem actually lol. My router has a restart schedule, but my modem is manual. I should put the smart plug on it and set up the schedule like we do for our Xmas lights. I have the Kasa plugs too, and they are far and away better than the cheap off brands in Amazon.

3 Likes

Same for me, my router is set to reboot nightly eod and my modem is on a smart plug to reboot 1 minute before the router. :+1:

5 Likes

Love these things and I need to remember to order one. (I left mine back down in Floriduh)

This is a pretty good article on this subject. It details the kind of Smart Plug to use to reactivate your internet connection.

Using Smart Plugs To Turn Your Internet (WiFi Router) Off & On - Smart Home Point

1 Like

I used to have Comcast and they use a modem/router combo, but now, here in TN I have Spectrum and they use a separate modem and router. Thanks for the timing tip!

1 Like

Your use their equipment? Individual modem & router? If so, what make/model are they?

1 Like

Don’t know…never bothered to look, but they work fantastic! Making my dinner now, but I will look at them and report back.

Spectrum D3.1 eMTA DOCSIS 3.1 Advanced Voice Modem

Spectrum WiFi 6 Router with Advanced In-Home WiFi

Spectrum eMTA User Guide.pdf (d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net)

WiFi 6 User Guide 12092020.pdf (d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net)

2 Likes

Ha ha…just looked it up & saw your router…didn’t know the modem/cable plant is DOCSIS 3.1…pretty nice modem & wifi router they gave you…& a very good price for it all. For that deal, I’d use their equipment too…well done Daffy :+1: :saluting_face:

I’ve got Frontier here now updating my fiber to 500/500. Got a fancy new WiFi 6 router. Wonder if I’ll need to buy one of these smart plugs or if the settings will allow me to schedule a restart. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

I just got an inexpensive TP-Link at Wallyworld a few months ago & it has a restart schedule option that I use…I don’t know for sure, but I would guess these fancy routers like you & PF have would also present that option somewhere in the UI.

1 Like

Don’t see why not. They store a schedule in the cache. If nothing else, you could get a mechanical plug for that use.

Looks like there’s an app for these wifi routers…guessing you & Jayhawks can find everything you need by downloading an app…I know its different ISPs but I think that’s the new way these fancy routers are accessed…instead of typing in their IP address in your puter to get to UI.

https://www.spectrum.com/apps

2 Likes

I’ve got a monster of an entertainment center that takes up my entire wall. It’s a b**** to move. So if I do need to power cycle it frequently these smart plugs are a good option. At least I put a power strip behind the TV so some of the stuff I can get to a little easier.

Yeah, I have their app on my phone and tablet. I will reboot, but it doesn’t power off anything that I am aware of.

2 Likes

Why must you all talk about things that require me to open my wallet as well as get the evil eye from my Wife? Lol

Copy…I’d dig deeper…if my cheap TP-Link has it…y’all’s will. Mine has a “Reboot Schedule” under the Reboot tab in System.

1 Like

Put a nice necklace in the box and let her open it. Then tell her the box came with a bonus!

1 Like

Dog-House

exactly what I have too.I have had no problems sofar

I recently started doing this. I decided to go with TP-Link KASA plugs & smart power strips & now have a bunch of them in the house. Most I use to shut things off for hours when they won’t possibly be used. For my routers I set the schedule to turn them off at 0400 & back on at 0401 every day.

2 Likes