Proton VPN my new go to

@karl1992 I use to use IPVanish app on my windows 10 when downloading torranting freezes, and disconnected while browsing without knowing I was disconnected so I kept VPN app open to see if I was connected or not.

If you’re using windows 10 consider the following.

I discovered that after windows/security updates
Somehow windows security changes the security settings, and blocked torranting app than disconnected from VPN connection.
“After all windows security, and many browser’s see torrant apps as harmful application’s”

My solution for that was that each time after windows updates I checked my security settings, and allowed the app again from being blocked, also checking if the app still allowed in firewall settings.

Later I stopped using IPVanish app on my windows. I used the IPVanish SSTP Setup on windows 10 instead. After that I was never discussed from VPN again.

https://support.ipvanish.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039035533-SSTP-setup-on-Windows-10

NordVPN is better than either IPVanish or Proton. Besides, it is half the price for a 2 year subscription than what you paid for Proton!

1 Like

Lol. How amusing. Not sure what credentials you possess that you can make that statement. Proton had things Nord is claiming as new for some time, but this doesn’t matter, I’m happy with Proton and know where they’re headed and what they plan. I got what I paid for and am satisfied, but thank you for your opinion.

4 Likes

@Miki
@websurferdude

And at the root of it all all vpns essentially do the exaxt same thing.

The rest is pretty much personal preference. Some are cheaper than others, others work better or slighty better than others. If you look at any review anywhere every vpn is categorized different in rankings.

Troy and my self have a list of the must haves in a vpn.

2 Likes

Well said Dracoo. Is that list published? Not that I need it but I’m always curious about what others consider a “must have” . tx

I list them here, this is also on troys website, you can even good vpn statics and reviews along with functionality, these are the bases for any vitural private network to mask your internet data.

Proxies protection too.

3 Likes

After seeing what you & @TXRon had to say a few weeks ago, I loaded the free version and have been trying it w/ my silk browser links. It has been shutting off somewhat inconsistently… is that 'cause its the free version?

Ya, but it shouldn’t be shutting off at all. What are you running it on?

The Amazon firestick

Hmm. They are releasing a new update in a week or so for streaming. It will address some glitches and give better settings access. Try another city, but the servers may be full or very busy.

1 Like

Proton actually has a very good model being they have a free version so peeps can test the waters and hopefully get them as long time customers. But the free version is limited in speed, servers etc. The paid version is great as Miki can tell you and they are constantly in development with the product and are audited by 3rd parties.

1 Like

I’ve gotten a response from customer service every time I addressed a glitch or limitation or sent in an error report. They even assigned me 1 only customer service rep to my account. This was for consistency, they said, and a seamless interaction as only one person looks after your issues. So far my experience is that they care what ppl think and are working to improve all their apps on every platform. Very positive so far.

3 Likes

I’ve been test driving the free version since Miki’s post.
So far, I had one instance where ProtonVPN disconnected. And I just went back and re-engaged the USA version.

With IPV, have have been getting very, VERY inconsistent performance, regardless of what protocol, city or server utilized. (BTW, The closest IPV city to me is about 120 miles away. Often Vancouver CA, more than 3500 miles away is faster, regardless of protocol!!)

My ISP sub is supposed to be 100 Mbps down, often it approaches 110. With IPV, my speed seldom exceeds 60 Mbps & often nosedives into the lower teens.

Proton: Using a free server from Japan, the speed exceeds 80 Mbps. (Of course the latency sucks, LOL.)
IPV’s intro price is a good deal. But the renewal price is much, much too expensive. If I can renew at the price offered by Troypoint, I might consider renewing. If not, I’m swicthing.

The only serious issue that I’ve had with ProtonVPN is that their app for Linux Mint 20+ doesn’t work, neither the GUI nor the CLI versions. And CS has so far not gotten back to me.

EDIT: I got an email this mornng with some suggestions, about a minute after I posted this…
When I get a chance, I’ll have to get familiar with the terminal, LOL.

The free version’s countries/servers are much faster than any of IPV’s in my experience so far.

Proton paid connected to my closest U.S. server gives me consistent speeds of 75-80 during peak periods. I,m in Mexico so not good IP infrastructure. My only issue has been that the app on the firestick is lacking settings options. I brought this up with customer service, which did initially take 2 days to get back to me, but responded within hours on follow ups and assigned me one rep only for my account, not unnamed or unknown ppl. We talked back and forth and the end result is, they have agreed that there is an issue and are now coding a new app for streaming devices that will give everyone better control. Coming in about 2 weeks through github as they use the google app store for new releases and updates but mirror it to github for us Amazon flunkys. Personally that’s the best customer service I’ve ever received from any VPN Customer service.
I would like to note that the options avaiable in my Android phone proton app are unbelievable from malware blocking to ad and tracking blocking to “secure core” servers similiar to onion routing, which although slower is far more secure than any VPN I’vs seen yet. I bought a 2 yr “plus” sub and get 10 connections. This cost me $200 cdn, about $160/U.S.

Miki, I had a glitch in the email side, and they were on it and had it fixed within a couple days. I was really surprised at their customer service.

1 Like

Do you know if it works with BBC IPlayer and ITV Hub?

I can’t honestly say as I don’t look for EU sources or programs. I know it works perfectly for North American sources including my free IPTV. I source channels for UK and EU through OlaTV when the need arises.

Thanks Mikki. Can I ask which channels you use OlaTV for, I may do the same.

OMG thousands. I use it for a lot of sports stuff as well as finding local channels in whatever country I want. Remember though, connect to what ever country server you want channels from, in your VPN.

1 Like