Problems with buffering and streaming

First time poster so I hope this is okay? I have a fairly slow 8 mbps stream, and often while watching sports on The Crew the stream just stops and reverts to the main menu.
Wondering if a service like Real Debrid would help.
Your suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance! :grin:

2 Likes

8Mbps down is all you have? In my opinion you need at least 30Mbps down for effective streaming with little or no buffering. I have seen some posts that 10Mbps is the minimum for streaming but that’s not been my experience.

3 Likes

Hey, thanks Mike. I would love more than 8 mbps, but I live in the foothills of the Rockies without any line of site to a tower. I have Centurylink by phone line and I am maxed out in terms of speed. T Mobile sold me on a booster once, but it did nothing to help, so I sent it back. Apparently there are some expensive services around, but I’m a poor girl, like trying to drive a 4 cylinder Subaru in the Indy 500! LOL
Thanks for your comment! Peace!

Sorry to say but like Miki said something like 30 is what you need and realdebrid is not going to increase your speed . It’s going to be tough on a budget to get anything in the spot you are expecting a satilte type of system. Wish there was better news I could give you.:v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Meh…I have already comes to term with stream speeds fro the late 1990’s. Guess I’m lucky to get anything at all. Good news is that it only costs me about $30. a month.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Don’t know if your phone service offers hotspot. That might be an option

2 Likes

Problaby no phone towers either. Yes satellite only option. I live at the edge of a city with pop of 68000 and still took years to get high speed internet. I feel for u.

2 Likes

Yes I lived 10 miles from a city of 120,000 and couldn’t get anything but DSL for 20 years so yeah sucks!

2 Likes

10 miles away you’re lucky you got DSL!

1 Like

Whatever Apps etc you are using, it’s a good idea to set your buffering higher and have patience when streams are loading. An upload rate of around 5,700 kilobits per second, [5.7 Mbps] should get you HD 720p video at 30 frames per second.
8Mbps may not be ideal, but tinker with setting and be selective when choosing streams and you may be surprised. I have a friend in the Scottish Highlands with a similar set-up to you. Using a Fire TV Stick 4K Max and Stremio as his go-to App, he selects videos that are 720p [occasionally he gets lucky with 1080P] and with 2GB buffering he is pretty satisfied.
Good luck :+1:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

I have spectrum internet. Have Several computers throughout the house using wifi but not all the time.Two would be the maximum when I am streaming. My issue is I have hp laptops that is 50’ from my asus router. The signal does pass through some walls and doors. Shows a full signal at the bottom right of the laptop. I stream from various sites and HDMI to my TV. in the last couple of months, the streamed videos are getting jerky to the point of cannot watch them anymore. I also want to say a few things that I have already done. I have tried different laptops with no difference. I have this USB range extended antenna plugged into a usb port, I went to youtube and followed some great advice on speeding up the pc. Is it possible that I need to do something to the router, or get another range extender? Can someone recommend a good extender? Any advice is appreciated.

this works for me

You could also get a powerline adapter. I’ve used them with great success in the past.

I am super new here, but i recently had similar issues. I read here somewhere here to periodically check and see if your routers firmware is up to date. Mine wasnt and updating was a game changer for speed as well. Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you all for the advice!

Definitely go with @Wizzard suggestion. I have powerline adapters in 3 rooms, one with an added wifi bridge, all too far from the main router to get any wifi signal. Consistently get +50Gs on the downloads, good enough for any streaming.