Ota, antennas and other cable solutions

True for many others in rural/small towns in mountainous terrain.
But for many, if not most of the population, in North America, OTA is more than viable.
I cannot emphasize enough how important OTA is in weather emergencies.
I’ve been in three where it’s been critical.

1 Like

I own 3 antenna’s that I installed. Just from my personal experiences:
The best receiving & sturdest antenna’s are Televes & Clearstream.
The best long range 70 mile antenna on the market is the Televes DatBoss LR.
If your towers are located within 50 miles, the Clearstream 2Max is perfect. If you have trees, mountains obstruction & towers located in almost opposite directions then spend the extra & buy a Clearstream 4Max.
I personally own a Televes DatBoss LR, a Televes Ellipse & a Clearstream 2Max. Prior to them I wasted money on cheaper antenna’s & do not buy a flat place in a window model unless you live in an apartment within a city with local towers.
This is my personal experience & I made a number of bad purchases prior to discovering much better.
A good source of info is a YouTube channel - The Antenna Man.

4 Likes

I’ve tried 'em all and this is the only one that’s worked for me:

5 Likes

I’m in Las Vegas . All the antennas are located on top of a mountain 2 miles from my house. No trees on the mountain . I guess that scheme is why I’m picking up 85 Channels with a flat leaf lol. Good find on that YouTube channel though :+1:
:pirate_flag: Pete :pirate_flag:

1 Like

U ought to be able to get the rover on mars with that! :sunglasses::sunglasses:

LOL,
You’re in a great location for OTA!
I’m in WVa near the Ohio River in a hilly, fairly heavily treed location…

Mine is coming Monday!!! :partying_face:

Hey hows that rover on Mars doing!

I got his little brother years ago and have been very happy.

channel master

1 Like

Do you use a pre-amp with it?

Damn, when I think about antennas it takes me back to my childhood and Rabbit Ears. I know you guys are hobbyists but not for me. "Tivimate with IPTV Please for the win "!!! :rofl:

1 Like

Oh I have Tivimate and full IPTV, but the local channel connections on that IPTV are much more intermittent than the other channels it seems. My wife wants to make sure we always have our local channels and not worrying if they have gone out via the IPTV service. This will let me use the antenna/Plex to run my local network channels and still have the IPTV as backup.

**Note, spending money on this antenna sure beats sleeping in the car if IPTV makes my wife miss one of her shows. :rofl:

1 Like

No pre-amp. Where I’ve lived, antennas have been a must for good FM reception. With OTA going digital, the local broadcast provides a better picture than IPTV.

Finally received! I have it set up in a bedroom at the moment. My goal is to mount in my attic, but I was too impatient and wanted to see channel results lol. My local channels went from 60some % quality to 95%! Now I am fiddling around with my Plex settings. For some reason, each channel runs best if I go and select “Automatically Adjust Quality” instead of “Keep Original Quality”, so that is driving my brain a bit wild. I’ll have to do some more testing. Has anyone else run into this?

In all honesty… having more than 40 thousand channels availiable to me at any time…I actually watch more “rabbit ear” tv than any other :upside_down_face: :eyes:

1 Like

Hehe…it is a good feeling to know even if all of my other services IPTV, Kodi, etc etc went down, I would still have good quality local TV with a DVR.

For my own sake, I need to get it up into the attic quickly…my wife yelled at me and said the bedroom looks like the Channel 27 News station.

1 Like

You mean like Bugs Bunny cartoons? :face_with_peeking_eye: :saluting_face:

2 Likes

I like the Roadrunner stuff, gota love that coyote :crazy_face:

Yep…unfortunately, I can relate to Wiley Coyote a lot. :roll_eyes: :grimacing:

1 Like

Too bad they can’t make a cheap antenna that will broadcast 70or 80 miles. No joy here with antenna!

1 Like