Ota, antennas and other cable solutions

Emergency setup, esp for tropical weather which I have to endure!
I have:
. 2 Amazon 10" Fire tablets
. 2 large capacity power packs for phones and tablets
. Rabbit ears in the attic which catch all my locals and one from 40 miles away
. and have a MyGica Pad TV Tuner which plugs into the Fire tablet and the attic antenna plugs into that tuner.
So, without grid power I can watch local tv (If they are up and running) or the one from 40 miles away on my tablets.

Also have a bid from Generac for an 18kw whole home generator for $10,400, less $500 if pay cash.
I’d love to get that…

2 Likes

That looks like it would be a neat device…

I gotta have a generator to protect our food and, in the winter, to operate gas central heat.

I was thinking about getting an estimate on Generac’s smallest natural gas unit.

There’s no need to operate an electric range or clothes dryer anyway. Our biggest thing would be to operate our central air in the summer.

would solar panels suit your needs?

Not unless I could afford those huge lithium backup batteries to marry with them…I can’t.

Is anyone else somewhat lost here? Lol! I need some guidance. I don’t live in the Rocky’s, but in PA which makes it similarly difficult to get reception for anything. (For example, I am unable to get any type of cell service at my house, nor do they offer an actual land line, only digital, which doesn’t help if the power goes out, so we rely on our crappy wireless internet). Yes, that’s off topic, sorry, but just info for what I’m dealing with. Hubby bought one of those flat antennas that is supposed to stick to the wall (which it doesn’t lol) but after reading through this feed, I see that he doesn’t have it nearly high enough as it’s on the main level, and needs to go into the attic. Any sites for complete beginners to help guide me where to even begin aside from the fcc site? I saw that that should be the first place to see what channels we may even get, which doesn’t seem to be many. I’m sorry for the annoying questions!! Please forgive me!

Re-read the entire post it’s all been talked about but a few top things to consider are 1.Height as high as you can get it 2. Directionality to get the channels you want 3 good quality antenna for what you are trying to achieve. Hope this helps. A lot of info has already been discussed above :v::grin:Beginner's Guide to Over-the-Air Antenna TV | Over The Air (OTA) DVR | Tablo

If you’re in Western or Central PA, it’s likely that any of those indoor antennas will do any good at all.
Is it safe for you or your husband to get on your roof with a small tv & even that flat antenna?
If you look at the FCC or the other site suggested in this topic, enter your address you can get a good idea about where an antenna should be pointed. Then you can see if you can get a signal with your small TV & flat antenna. If you can then consider installing an outdoor antenna yourself.

Getting a pro to install a system is worth considering if OTA content is important to you.

There is a good youtuber, “Tyler, the Antenna Man” who has some solid information, even if he does promote some products.

I live near PA, with an ota antenna I was able to get 85 channels, but you need it very high and placed correct, with a booster which need to be plugged in anyway as far as the landline goes, I have verizon that has a battery backup in case the power goes out so I am able to still use a landline, but with no electric everything else won’t work, unless you get a generator, or go off the grid and do solar panels which are expensive,

3 Likes

yes you tube Tyler the antenna man he was very helpful when I was installing my antennas,

I’m guessing you’re in Jersey…dam I miss Verizon FiOS .Best internet service we ever had.

I have used one for 5 years get about 46 channels in the mountains

1 Like

Good points on amplification. I am in a borderline area as far as an “unobstructed signal”, in that I have a hill and water tower between me and the tv tower transmitter. The antenna amplifier allows me to pull in a stronger signal and eliminate pixelation on the stations I can receive.

Know this is a little off topic but Amazon is offering the 4K Max for $ 20 off. Best antenna!

That does sound like an excellent deal…lots of people love that model. Myself, I moved over to android boxes a year or so ago…but had I not gotten an ONN for a backup, I’d probably jump on this just for the great deal…thnx I’ll make sure my bro & a couple of other firestick people know about it. :+1:

Yes, I feel the same way, but you can’t turn down such a good deal! I know freaking Amazon. keep hoping the perfect box and price point will come along soon. The specs are out there but expensive! :v:

hitting next on that playlist you may be there for years :joy:

I agree… but how is ota considered streaming

Watching ota tv doesnt require the internet. Some rural areas still dont have good cell service or broadband. Ota tv is cheap.

1 Like

Exactly.
And even if you do have decent internet, what do you do when it’s down and there’s an ice storm, hurricane, heavy thunderstorms or tornadoes in your location?
TV is not only for entertainment.

Where I lived it didn’t matter how good an antenna you had no broadcast station anywhere near. So Satellite was our option.