ONN bricked after a few weeks

Loaded with wolf launcher, kodi, TIVI mate, a few apk’s. There is no reset button and the voice command to settings does not work.

Sounds like you may possibly received a bad one. We use 4 of them in my family and “knock on wood” never an issue.

1 Like

Wolf Launcher is the Culprit. It bricked mine and others here as well on the ONN Box. BUT the Good news is you CAN bring it back to life. I’m not exactly sure of the solution but do a search here. It involves powering down the box and then holding the small button in on the box powering back up will give you the option to factory default it.

1 Like

@MarkxG has it right. My understanding is, while powered up, press the button on the back, hold it in, unplug the unit keeping the button pressed in, for 10 secs, do not release the button, still holding the button pressed plug it back in, and let it start up while you still have the button pressed. Once it does start you should get the “factory reset” option, hopefully, then release the button. I read one guy did this 6 times before he got it right. I forgot to mention, the remote may not work but some have had luck pressing the button again to make choices and enter.
@caution34 posted this> Thank you:
1:Hold reset button on back of box for 5 seconds

2:unplug the device

3 still holding reset for 10 seconds

4: stiil hold the reset plug the box back in.

Use the reset button to scroll through the listed options
Press and hold to initiate the command

3 Likes

Thank you for the info. I tried and tried. Going to box it up and return to Walmart. No more Wolf launcher for me.

If you’re wanting to play around with extern launchers - give projectivy a try. I have it installed in both my Onn boxes and it works great - no companion app required.

After you installed Wolf launcher did you ever go back and turn off USB debugging?

Don’t remember but probably did not

I think that has caused issues for quite a few people in the past. Not turning off the USB debugging after setting up Wolf launcher I mean.

2 Likes

ONN Plan B

2 Likes

Thank you. No more wolf launcher for me. Back up plan was initiated. Using the Amazon bloated firestick

Don’t give up on bringing the ONN back to life. I just about gave up but played around with holding the button down while powering up. It took me several tries but it finally came back.

2 Likes

The Onn box is a very capable streaming box of for the money. I wouldn’t give up on it. I’ve had projectivy on both my boxes since launch and both are working really well.

The more I use it, the more impressed I am with how nice box it is. With the exception of a better baked in browser, I’d unlikely every use a firestick over the Onn when given the choice.

Don’t let your speed bump with wolf sour your impression of the box.

I am in the same boat. I had dl a bunch of apks and accidentally hit the launcher manager and some how selected it in the wrong order I guess. I thought I was exiting it! It boots up I see the onn logo google tv logo then goes to black screen and says diagnostic mode completed. I can’t get out of black screen to disable launcher manager. Voice does not work says it’s not connected to the internet. No visible hold to force a factory reset. Noob here!

I had the same experience. I restored ONN by hitting Netflix button, which gave me a menu to work from. I still use Wolf Launcher, but manually. ONN boots to apps only mode, which looks a lot like WL Then I manually select WL.

Look closer! There is a small button on the side of the ONN Box. You need to hold that in while at the same time powering up the Box. you may need to do this several times. But it works

Thanks so much. I did look and I saw it. I was able to use the same button and reset it successfully! So happy. Now I am dl apps to it. I really like the new version of wolf from the other developer. I have it on my shield. Hope I can get it work on this. Asking a lot for 20.00 device. Wondering if there is an easy way to get photos from iPhone to the onn box over the air to set as wallpaper.
I love having my own wallpaper. I too am done with firesticks.

Can you download the Send Anywhere app onto an iPhone? If so, that is the way to go.

Send Anywhere - File Transfer on the App Store (apple.com)

I filed 13 mine (military version of trashed it). Thank goodness it was cheap.

1 Like

Take a look at Wireless File Manager

1 Like