ONN Box android/data folder access

I purchased 4 of these new Walmart ONN boxes.
Love it so far overall except for the following which appears to be a Android 11 or higher issue.
ONN box uses Android 12

My issue is, I can not get access to the android/data or android/obb folders
I have a customized KODI build that i delete and replace the .kodi folder in the android\data section

All research show to get this file manager app or this other one but none seem to work.
Most come back and say “you do not have an app for this”

is there something out there that works???
or a better option is there a way to change the rights on those folder so my X-Plore works as it always has until this device for me.

You can go into the Permissions area in the installed Apps section and check that X-Plore has permission enabled to access your files and media. I have Total Commander (an older version) installed and it works after giving it permission, would assume it would work the same with X-Plore.
Settings---->Apps---->See All---->(choose X-Plore or whatever manager you have)---->scroll down to bottom and click Permission----->click Files and Media
Again, I don’t have X-Plore installed so this may not work for you. It works for my file manager and probably others.

In order to gain access to the data folder in the Onn 4k, it’s my understanding that you can’t unless you root the Onn, which sounds easy, but you know how that can go.

Total Commander as @Shayde mentioned seems to have more permissions with newer android versions and im sure x-plore will catch up sooner or later. Another that often helps is called Files (not files by google) and its not in the playstore for the onn box.

You can try this, add a folder and name it.

i have done that with every app i’ve tried so far with no luck

i was kinda thinking root is the only way. just not sure how that will affect everything else

i usually have total commander and x-plore on any build i make. no luck with either so far

What about using adb? Have you tried this route? http://jocala.com/adblink.html

I went and hooked up the Onn box and had a look. You’re right, no access to Kodi in data folder. Even with permissions on Total Commander. Will be searching to see if anyone has come up with a new workaround for Android 12

1 Like

I found this on reddit regarding Android 12, and it had 16 upvotes so it appears it might work. I’ll give it a try just for kicks.

Quoting user comment: ““If you want to go in the data folder you have to use a better file explorer, like MixPlorer or Zarchiver. I copied several texture packs this way, it is good enough for now.””

Okay, tried both MiXPlorer and Zarchiver, no dice on either one. Got farther along with MiXPlorer than Zarchiver though. Zarchiver is like an overzealous nightclub bouncer when you don’t have your ID card. Get outta here! :wink:

still no luck with anything to gain access

I think i am going to try to root one and see what happens…

So how did the root go? I about ready to try it. I was rather bumed by this impass. I really like the onn box but this is a deal breaker. I hack stuff up, rearrand thumbnails & backgrounds. I need access to everything or forget it.

I think this will be the case with anything running Android 12, it’s not just an Onn box issue. :frowning_face:

1 Like

honestly life got busy and i haven’t attempted it yet
hopefully this week sometime. i’ll try to post about it

I found a video on YouTube about two file managers that can get into data and obb but he was doing it on a regular Android phone and when you go to look for the apps on Google Play on the television those apps aren’t available I’m going to try to put the apps on my phone and then send them side load them into the box we’ll see

it wasn’t MiXplorer and Zarchiver was it?

FV File Manager???

1 Like