ONN Android TV Box - My ONNest Opinion

To begin I want to thank the generosity of @rjwinkler . I received a gift of an ONN 4k box last week and was finally able to set it up today. My immediate impression and subsequent experience is that it is OK, but just OK. Apps were awkward to install that were not in the playstore, even sideloading. After install they often did not display any icon anywhere not even a blank one. The picture quality is ok, but again just OK. It doesn’t have as much RAM as my Max and it shows with reduced quality and performance. I have installed all the same apps I have on my Max as an honest and genuine comparison. They all worked just fine although as previously mentioned they are not as easily accessed as they are on the Max. Now my biggest complaint AGAIN. Similiar to my Mecool KM2 the remote does not control peripherals as easily as the Max remote does and the “enter” button is so small you need to have a very tiny thumb to avoid unwanted clicks. It will not control any more than one device. I spent an hour on this issue alone and “almost” got it. I can now turn the Onn, TV, and soundbar on from sleep but it simply will not turn all 3 off, just the TV and Onn, not the soundbar. But that’s a small problem in the overall scheme of things. Picture scaling is not as easy to do as it is with the Max. As far as overall performance goes it’s about an 8 out of 10 compared to the Max. For the price it’s a wonderful device and a perfect device for a backup.
TX RJ this was fun, and TX Troy for your ONN vids.
I forgot to mention, after a full setup I did an Analiti speed test and download speed with ProtonVPN active was insane, almost 100MBs down, but upload speed sucked big time at under 2. The upload does not seem to have affected the ONN streaming as it streams perfectly.

6 Likes

Glad you have got to see and review the onn box after hearing all the chatter about them and as you have stated I think they are great as a back up and really good boxes for someone testing the waters with streaming on the cheap. :+1: I have 2 of the onn’s I use for temp use while I repair/update another box. I dont get many complaints but they are usually happy to get their mecool boxes back :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Hell ya. Next break I get, it’s firing up the KM2 again. ONN was reasonably easy to configure following Troy’s vids, but there were things I used that were never shown in the vids like using the QR codes for both network setup and login as well as for connecting and auto logging into my Google account. That was way cool. I definately would recommend this to anyone wanting a simple device for nothing more than streaming. Even my TiViMate works perfectly. I have it set up to add storage but really don’t think I’ll need it. Going to leave it all week to use. I wonder how it will be when I shut the power off completely overnight as I do with the Max? Another side note. I didn’t use the HDMI cable that came with it but a top speed Rocket HDMI with gold contacts and way better quality wiring. I succeeded in adding a web browser as it doesn’t come installed with one and went with what others recommended, Puffin Browser.

3 Likes

I just picked one up today. Couldn’t resist the $19.88 price tag. I have the 4K MAX as well but grow ever so frustrated with Amazon and their update changes. Loved the Wolf launcher and hate the stock Firestick homepage. Does Wolf launcher work on the Onn.? I plan on using the Onn. with my laptop which has an HDMI input.

1 Like

yes wolf works fine on the onn

2 Likes

Thanks, @TXRon I appreciate it. :metal: :metal:

1 Like

As TX mentioned, the wolf launcher works perfectly. Check out Troy’s ONN review, he walks you through the steps.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will. Just ordered an OTG cable from Amazon to expand the storage :metal:

1 Like

Can’t find a good browser like Silk for Android TV but
Puffin is a reasonable second, Jio jutters bad. May give TV Bro a go next.

4 Likes

Yes. You have to use developer options and enable USB debugging before setting up wolf launcher .
:pirate_flag: Pete :pirate_flag:

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out why your apps didn’t display. I’ve customized and sold close to 50 of these boxes and never came across that problem. As far as the quality of the video it streams in 4k…assuming your video source is 4k . Test it by playing a 4k video on YouTube . Also, did you install the wolf browser ? I hate the original launcher. It reminds me of fire TV with all the ads .
:pirate_flag:Pete :pirate_flag:

3 Likes

In the play store download the " open browser" app. It’s a really good app and it’s designed for use on tv. Your remote control becomes a mouse and you can move the pointer around on the screen . The bookmark section is really nice to how it’s laid out in a file fashion . I save websites on there that stream videos and it looks like a bunch of apps on the bookmark page .:dizzy:
:pirate_flag: Pete :pirate_flag:

1 Like

I’ll go to wolf later once I’m done playing around with setup. Some apps I download get installed in system apps and do not have a tile in my apps. No idea why. Next I’ll have to add memory and see if moving apps to the USB Drive will also make the app tiles disappear so I have to go into settings>apps to launch. I love playing around with settings. As far as the home page goes for me it’s the same as the Amazon one, I see it for all of about 15 seconds while I start up the VPN and any app I’ll be using and not again until or if I switch apps.

3 Likes

Hey tx Pirate. Appreciate the suggestion I’ll give it a go now.

2 Likes

This happens with all android devices . Even the sheild. It won’t show unauthorized apps. Once you install the wolf browser it will show all of the apps on your screen 100% . In let me know if you need any help :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Ok I installed the open browser and it is clunky, slow, has a huge pointer that won’t activate some clicks, so that’s gone. Sorry mate.

1 Like

This is how the onn box looks once set up with the wolf launcher . All of the apps display :dizzy:

2 Likes

Oh I know all about Wolf my friend. Installed and modified it on dozens of sticks befor Amazon issues.

3 Likes

I’ve never had a problem with it . If you want to scroll down pages faster just enable slide mode and hold the down button it will speed down whatever webapge you are on .

2 Likes

Wolf is a blessing :pray:

2 Likes