Nvidia Shield's Netflix button

I am trying to solve a highly annoying Nvidia Shield pro (2021) remote control button issue: I am constantly activating the Netflix button on the triangular remote control when picking up the remote, interrupting what I’m watching and forcing multiple clicks to get back to where I was. SO…I want to remap that button to perform an audio “mute” function instead, or at least turn it into a dead button. I tried the Button Mapper app (Google Play store) by far2 but it fails to deactivate the Netflix app. (yes, I searched here for a solution: nada)
Anyone know how I can get rid of this problem?

4 Likes

You might be out of luck untill Nvidia figures out the mess from the Android 11 update. many people are having varying degrees of issues concerning this update.

Btw, I remapped that button the day I got my new remote back in 2019…or there abouts.

But I will do it to my other remote and post the results for you tomorrow sometime.

2 Likes

The button mapper app is a pay for full version. It works well but no guarantee it will work. You can pay for it try it out and get a refund if it doesnt work.

3 Likes

Ok, here’s how you can render that Netflix button impotent! lol

1. First enable your Button mapper go to, Settings>>Device Preferences>>Accessibility>>Button Mapper>>enable>>Configuration>>Add Buttons>>Add Buttons (again)>>Press and Hold Netflix button on your remote>>scroll down to the button you just selected and click on it>>Enable Customize>>Choose the command (Single Tap, Double Tap, Long Press)>> scroll down to whichever app you wish to assign to the Netflix button>>Now you can back out and go to your home page to test out your new button.

Fyi, you can assign up to 3 apps on a single button by assigning the different commands for the subsequent apps. Ex: I assigned my Netflix button to activate my Tivimate app with a single tap. Then I added my Syncler+ app choosing the Double tap command. I chose my Youtube as my 3rd choice and assigned the Long Press command. So now I have 3 apps all being controlled on a single button (Netflix).

Btw, you can start over by deleting the button in +Add Buttons by clicking on the :wastebasket: , or you can also go back and add more apps to that button whenever you want by highlighting and clicking on the created button row.

My suggestion to you, if you are having issues with “accidentally” clicking the Netflix button is to assign either the Double Tap or Long Press command to whichever app you assign to the Netflix button.

Also, after you have assigned your Netflix button. If you wish to disable the action. All you have to do is go back into setting to Accessibility and disable the Button Mapper. Now the Netflix button will do nothing. To reactivate the button again, just go back to Accessibility and enable Button Mapper once again.

Btw, I used the FREE version of the Button Mapper app.

4 Likes

Thanks mucho for the reply, but those directions do not work for me. I had already went through that same sequence of steps to assign the “Mute Volume” function (under Media category) to that button, but it did not REPLACE the Netflix app activation, so now when I press the Netflix button it does BOTH “mute” and launches Netflix (you missed the step of turning on “Customize” which seems to insist on being on in order to activate the settings for the 3 different presses). Deleting either the Button Map app or the selected button (“Button_12, 199”) in that app does not deactivate/kill that button, it still launches Netflix. Even tried “customize” on WITHOUT assigning any function to see if it would make a dead soldier. If I can find the config file inside the OS (likely will require rooting, since I don’t presently have permissions for certain folders when looking around with a bash shell) perhaps I can kill it there, but then it’ll likely come back with the next Shield update that also kills Root. Maybe Nvidia changed something about compatibility with Button Mapper in a recent update (I am using 2021 Pro with Shield v9 which includes Android v11). I think I’ll next try granting WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS, which will require connecting a PC to the Shield and doing some stuff, to see if that makes any difference.
Any other ideas you suggest?

1 Like

Worked for me. I wrote the post as I was doing the mapping
In fact, i deleted it all twice and replicated the steps. Oh, well, then i guess you are stuck. :thinking:

Btw, I used the application category and NOT the media category. Maybe try again using the application category.

3 Likes

Interesting…what year model Shield and what Shield Experience ver and Android ver are you running? (maybe time for me to downgrade, ha)

2019 shield pro 9.0 android 11

Your 2021 is the same as a 2019. nVidia hasn’t made a new version since 2019.

1 Like

Very Nice your very own Tivimate remote :sunglasses: :+1:

3 Likes

Very interesting, thx Powerfader! Good clue. Can you check to see what ver of Button Mapper you’re using (I have v1.09)? Is it by far2? Have you applied any Shield 9 hotfix?

I meanwhile checked far2 (the developer) website and he says that Nvidia made a change that prevents the Netflix button from being remapped (!) and nothing he can do about it. Which doesn’t quite make sense to me as there is always a way to hack things (I’m a cybersecurity pro doing linux; not that I want to take much time doing that).

1 Like

There is only on hot fix out at present Hotfix Image 1 and yes I downloaded it.

I’ll check when I get home, but I downloaded my Button Mapper back in 2019
Although, I have always updated that app, because I deemed it rather unimportant.

In fact, other than researching your issue. I haven’t used that app since 2019 when I got the new nvidia remotes. Lol

1 Like

Button Mapper Version is 3.0.9 allowed Files and media did not allow camera and phone.

Like I said, try using the Applications" category.

1 Like

I cannot find something in Applications that implies it will do no action on that button, or will perform something useful like “mute”, plus I don’t want to have it fire off yet another app that I have to do multi-presses to return to the app previously running. SO…at the moment I simply deleted the Netflix app entirely (since I don’t need/use it), assigned “no action” (from the Action category) to both short and double-press, and then assigned “mute” (from the Media category) to long-press, and that is an improvement: pressing the Netflix button on the remote now prompts me to choose the app to use (Google Play store) and I can just press the back button to get back to the app I was previously using (saving time an multiple button pressing, plus saving memory and background CPU processing). Long-press for sound mute now working, which is great.

I discovered that my son stole my USB-A to USB-A cable when he was home from college over the holidays, so a replacement cable from Amazon won’t arrive until tomorrow, at which time I’ll complete doing the WRITE-SECURE-SETTINGS enablement to try and if I have more time will root the box and search for the config file governing this issue and experiment with modding it.

BTW, I fat-fingered the Button Mapper ver number previously, it is indeed v3.09 (like yours). I also signed up to receive the Shield Experience v9 Hotfixes (the 2nd one also came out now), so will see if they make a difference. Somewhere along the way, perhaps I’ll pay for Button Mapper (would be well worth it if it works to solve this problem) per your suggestion.

PITA

1 Like

No, just use the applications category to remap your Netflix button. After you have remapped and configured the Netflix button. Then you can go into Settings>>Device Preferences>>Accessibility>>Button Mapper (OFF). Then your Netflix button will do nothing.

3 Likes

I also have tried to remap the netflix button following your instructions to the “T” and it opens both the app (vudu) and netflix at the same time. And when i turn off the Button Mapper then it just starts Netflix and nothing else.

But another way i have found to make netflix button harder press by accident is to open the remote and file down the little stubs so it doesnt make contact easily… i did that on my other shield (i dont recommend it but it is a option if it really bugs you)

2 Likes

Oh well, I must be the lucky one, because the procedure works for me.:nerd_face:

1 Like

I had no issues mapping Netflix button to Mute and 2 other applications. Not sure if all these guys got a bum system or what.

2 Likes

Gave them what I know worked for me. Nothing else I can do.

2 Likes

I also mapped the menu button single press to switch AI upscaling and long press to turn on frame matching. Double press opens settings.

Frame matching seems to work well in some instances but in others it will actually pause the show and kick it back to menu. I’ve seen that happen in Netflix, Paramount+ and Disney+ but not every time. Not a deal breaker and when it works, noticeably reduces stutter (judder? jidder? whatever.) on panning shots. Vizio p759g, Denon 3500, 2019 Nvidia with latest update is what I’m working with. Sorry, off topic.

2 Likes