NVIDIA just dropped a massive update for the SHEILD TV

lol…im seriously looking at that Ugoos AM6 B Plus that @sim_bill mentioned in the other post or one of the other out of the box rooted boxes.

Me too. I am researching it now. $170 bucks.

my only problem is I know nothing about ugoos!!! but the products look solid and 4 g ram would 1 up the shield and onboard storage looks good. Specs all look great…so I sit here and ponder :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

time for some youtube reviews

3 Likes

check this new one
Ugoos AM6B-Plus

1 Like

This in detail video review convinced me. TV Box Stop does excellent, in depth reviews. The quality of these Ugoos units is very evident, even though they are a bit more expensive than some of the more generic brands.

Checking it out now,

Alright. Let’s stay on topic.

Thanks for letting us know about the upgrade. Troy has reviews on devices if you guys like as it highly talked about I will make a topic on devices and keep it current and we can post about boxes there.

1 Like

Yep, a good video there.

1 Like

Only suspended for 100 years. Wait it out :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Wait for 101 years? You’ll only be 191 then right? :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :man_white_haired:

1 Like

Thanks Powerfader, not trying to be a PITA but is the Verify app toggle actually located under security & restrictions on your system? On mine I have:

Unknown Sources (allows you to grant install access similar to with Downloader) - active
Make Passwords Visible - toggle
Allow all Bluetooth pair requests - toggle
Bluetooth LE Privacy - toggle
Category (blue header)
Create restricted profile

Just trying to figure out if I am missing something or the entire boat.

Thanks,

There is a verify apps in developer options but it is greyed out. In security and restrictions is allow unknown sources.

Thanks Powerfader much appreciated

I tried delaying updates in my 2017 Nvidia Shield to prevent what others have discussed on this subject and it kept trying to update automatically when I turned it on anyway. I finally decided to pull the plug and sell mine due to Nvidia doing this. Also contributing to my decision, 1) all the home screen bloatware you can’t get rid of, 2) the limited internal memory, 3) inability to easily root the box and 4) lack of customization and apps. I find open android works much better, with fewer hassles and there are high quality boxes out there at less cost than Nvidia Shield.

2 Likes

All that can be solved. You can turn off automatic upgrade. You can also go into your system settings to the apps menu, show system apps, go to system update and force stop and turn off notifications. This will stop it from trying to update. At least until you unplug it and do a hard reboot.

The customization and getting rid of advertisements can be solved with Wolf Launcher.

2 Likes

Yeah, I am for the very first time actually considering leaving the Nvidia world. I just have a gut feeling things are going get progressively worse as Nvidia keeps chasing that big corporate $$$ via sponsoring their products on Nvidia devices. …sad :unamused:

I will be doing that again. But I can’t right now. I have signed up for them to send their Hotfix images to fix their not so hot update!

It is psychologically tough to leave the Shield behind, especially when those of us who bought one had to justify the initial cost outlay to ourselves. There is no doubt that the hardware is the best and benchmark tests prove it. But to me, the drawbacks and aggravation mentioned here and elsewhere proved to be serious (and chronic) enough to convince me to cut it loose and get a rooted, open android device instead.

1 Like

Go Root or go home :rofl:… Lucky for me I still had the return window open for me…so off it went and reason for return (they ask that)…was terrible upgrade in conjuntion with bloat :joy:… I will never go with a big name again because its all about control. But with that said Wolf Launcher really does a good job cleaning up the surface bloatware. The shield really has no rival in graphics and rendering and speed. It really boils down to what do you wana do. :sunglasses:

1 Like

:musical_note: The Stream Police…they live inside of my head…